DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Greetings from upstate NY

Crow Horse

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I'm new to the drone world and just purchased a used Mavic Air with the fly more combo. My goal with the purchase is to document the construction (read -destruction) of a wind turbine facility in my community and monitor compliance with local laws. The seller is an avid drone pilot and was quite enthusiastic in sharing the information about the MA, so I felt reasonably confident that I made a good purchase. I don't need the latest and greatest and if I can learn to fly the drone and receive acceptable results, it will be a quantum leap forward from hanging out of a single engine aircraft trying to video the project zone (which I have done).

There's so much to learn about flying them as well as the video and photographic arena that it won't become airborne for quite some time. I'm looking to find a reasonably priced Ipad Mini 4 or later so that I don't have to keep taking my phone out of it's case and then back again.

I'm looking forward to this learning journey. I've had to quell my enthusiasm to get in the air and refocus it into becoming educated in the many aspects of piloting these birds.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences and knowledge.......

Addendum - I've begun to familiarize myself with the laws regarding flying drones and wind turbines so I don't end up on the police blotter.......

Welcome from your downstate neighbor in Suffolk County, NY. I think it's great that you have a mission to accomplish. That really helps drive the learning process. Hopefully we won't have a monster winter with snow and wind that keeps us grounded for long periods of time.

Enjoy and stay safe.

Welcome to the forum from the dry lakeless hills of Lake City FL. An irony... I know. If lakes grew here as much as your knowledge will, Lake City would become an ocean. ;)

Welcome again!

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum! Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

I'm new to the drone world and just purchased a used Mavic Air with the fly more combo. My goal with the purchase is to document the construction (read -destruction) of a wind turbine facility in my community and monitor compliance with local laws. The seller is an avid drone pilot and was quite enthusiastic in sharing the information about the MA, so I felt reasonably confident that I made a good purchase. I don't need the latest and greatest and if I can learn to fly the drone and receive acceptable results, it will be a quantum leap forward from hanging out of a single engine aircraft trying to video the project zone (which I have done).

There's so much to learn about flying them as well as the video and photographic arena that it won't become airborne for quite some time. I'm looking to find a reasonably priced Ipad Mini 4 or later so that I don't have to keep taking my phone out of it's case and then back again.

I'm looking forward to this learning journey. I've had to quell my enthusiasm to get in the air and refocus it into becoming educated in the many aspects of piloting these birds.

Addendum - I've begun to familiarize myself with the laws regarding flying drones and wind turbines so I don't end up on the police blotter.......
Welcome from another upstate NY casual flyer!

I'd like to suggest that before you purchase a used iPad to use as a monitor you look into the DJI CrystalSky 5.5". My experience has been that using an iPad or iPhone, though workable, does not provide the brightness one wishes for, esp. on a sunny day. Though they are not cheap, I found I was flying with much more confidence once I was able to see more clearly and it has made a huge difference. The optional sun shade is perfect and also provides protection for the screen when it's stored.

Welcome to the forum. We look forward to your participation an your view of the world.

I'd like to suggest that before you purchase a used iPad to use as a monitor you look into the DJI CrystalSky 5.5". My experience has been that using an iPad or iPhone, though workable, does not provide the brightness one wishes for, esp. on a sunny day. Though they are not cheap, I found I was flying with much more confidence once I was able to see more clearly and it has made a huge difference. The optional sun shade is perfect and also provides protection for the screen when it's stored.
Check the specs on the newer versions of iphone. My 12pro max is rated at 1200 nits.

Welcome from the country that has the “real” Guildford! That’s Guildford Surrey with a D! Seriously you are very welcome to the Forum. It is absolutely brilliant as I have found over the years. Having lived in GuilDford for 10 years 80/90 I do hope your Guilford is as lovely. Which MA do you have? Not sure that has been covered above?

It sounds like what you intend to do is not for strictly recreation. If that is the case, to stay legal with the FAA you will need to pass the test to become part 107 certified.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer