DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ground Cameras to Supplement Mavic

Jinsin456

Reactions
Having a bit of a dilemma that the Mavic camera is a lot better than anything else I own so when I try to make a story type video using the drone as well it blows everything out the water.

I'm currently using the Mavic pro, a Canon 60D, Canon G16 and a GoPro Hero 2 (I know it's ancient).

I shoot in 1080p generally and the Canons seem to keep up ok and don't look too out of place with the Mavic footage.

The problem is the GoPro, it's just not cutting it and looks awful. My intention in the future is to eventually buy an Osmo for proper shots but after buying the Mavic only about a month ago SWMBO will kill me if I spend £500+ on another f***ing camera! :).

I do quite a lot where I would use a Gopro over an Osma (Canoeing, Mountain Biking etc) so I feel like I would still need a gopro even with the Osmo. I've been looking at the Hero Session to fill the gap, really based on price but the question is, is there going to be much of a difference between that and the Hero 2?

If anyone uses Gopros and could shed some light then it would be much appreciated.

I have an Osmo and Gopro's to supplement the ground footage with my Mavic. To be honest, the Osmo hardly gets used only because of the amount of set-up needed just to get the thing to start shooting. It shoots awesome footage, don't get me wrong, but if you want something rugged to match video quality to the Mavic....get a Hero 4 or 5 plus a Karma grip if you can afford it. You can shoot 4K with the Hero 4 Black and Hero 5 (I think the Hero 4 silver as well). You can get a Hero 4 Black on ebay nowadays for $200-$300 bucks and a Karma Grip for $299 or maybe less on ebay.

I have a Canon 70D as well but even that gets used sparingly...LoL. I'm headed to Hawaii next month and I only plan on taking the Mavic and GoPro's.

Reactions: Slayerstwin
Buy a Sony FDR-X3000 and don't look back. It stabilizes 4k, the only one that does for a reasonable price and it works beautifully. I sold my Hero 4 almost immediately. You can buy an adapter for all those GoPro mounts and such you might have.

You can also do 240FPS at 480P which is useful to really slow something down.

Reactions: Rbruz
I ended up going for the Hero 5 black as it was on sale yesterday so got it for a really good price.

Thinking about ditching the Osmo idea now in favour of a Removu S1 gimbal, it seems to do more than the Osmo & the Karma and just seems to do more overall. The only thing missing would be the time lapse pan but it's going to work out a lot cheaper than buying an Osmo for one feature that I probably won't use that often.

Thanks for the help guys :)

I see you already got a hero 5 which I hope you enjoy but for anyone else looking for something a bit bigger with excellent video capabilities for the money I can recommend the Sony A6300 - as a video camera it's amazing and unless you're looking for a dedicated (expensive) video camera I think it's about as good as it gets. For something smaller, the Sony RX100 (mk4/mk5) is also a very capable video camera for it's size but rather expensive.

Gimbal wise I can't recommend anything as I don't have one yet but I'm considering a Zhiyun Crane based on reviews and it seems to produce very nice stable footage.

I ended up going for the Hero 5 black as it was on sale yesterday so got it for a really good price.

Thinking about ditching the Osmo idea now in favour of a Removu S1 gimbal, it seems to do more than the Osmo & the Karma and just seems to do more overall. The only thing missing would be the time lapse pan but it's going to work out a lot cheaper than buying an Osmo for one feature that I probably won't use that often.

Thanks for the help guys :)
I debated between the removu vs karma grip and at the end....the karma grip for me. The one huge thing that swayed my decision is you can control the hero 5 (and 4) from the handle. I mean start/stop, change modes, etc. You can't do that with the removu handle. Another thing was the karma doesnt have to be broken down to put in the case. The removu has to be broken down. That wont be a quick shooter. The other things that the removu did that karma didnt do was not important to me.

I debated between the removu vs karma grip and at the end....the karma grip for me. The one huge thing that swayed my decision is you can control the hero 5 (and 4) from the handle. I mean start/stop, change modes, etc. You can't do that with the removu handle. Another thing was the karma doesnt have to be broken down to put in the case. The removu has to be broken down. That wont be a quick shooter. The other things that the removu did that karma didnt do was not important to me.
I'm still on the fence tbh but the way I look at it is that I can control the camera from the app or voice control.depending on the situation, the big thing is being able to control the gimbal remotely. Quite often I'll mount my gopro out of reach, eg on the back of my canoe or stuck to the car. The ability to pan with the remote whilst not being able to physically touch the camera is really what I'm after.

How are you finding the karma?

I'm still on the fence tbh but the way I look at it is that I can control the camera from the app or voice control.depending on the situation, the big thing is being able to control the gimbal remotely. Quite often I'll mount my gopro out of reach, eg on the back of my canoe or stuck to the car. The ability to pan with the remote whilst not being able to physically touch the camera is really what I'm after.

How are you finding the karma?
I love the karma grip. I dont mount out of reach too often so I can see where you'd want the removu. Different situations. Just go have fun! Lol

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan