DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Had an NFZ today !

JemezMtnsWill

Reactions
Yesterday a fire broke out 2.3mi from me and I was able to fly. Tried today and was strait up at 300ft and said lost connection adjust antenna. To many warnings and landed. Tried again and was in NFZ could not fly. I checked the NFZ maps and was in the green the fire NFX 2+ miles away was yellow. The circles did not over lap so why was I restricted ?

Got this today --
A Temporary Flight Restriction (TFR) is in place around the Cajete Fire to allow air operations to proceed safely. Drones pose a serious risk to firefighting and can cause aircraft to be grounded. The public is reminded that “If you fly, we can’t!”

Have no problem with the NFZ but I'm out of the NFZ circle of the fire. How many miles from the fire would I have to go to be out of the TFR? There are fires all over the state and in other states

Reactions: nomad33fw
I found this here.
PilotWeb: Results Page

"!FDC 7/3155 ZAB NM..AIRSPACE 35NM WEST SANTA FE, NM..TEMPORARY FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS WI AN AREA DEFINED AS 7NM RADIUS OF 354930N1063421W (SANTA FE VORTAC SAF291030.1) SFC-14500FT. TO PROVIDE A SAFE ENVIRONMENT FOR FIRE FIGHTING ACFT OPS. PURSUANT TO 14 CFR SECTION 91.137(A)(2) TEMPORARY FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS ARE IN EFFECT. SOUTHWEST COORDINATION CENTER TELEPHONE 505-842-3473 OR FREQ 120.750/CAJETE FIRE IS IN CHARGE OF THE OPERATION. ALBUQUERQUE /ZAB/ ARTCC TELEPHONE 505-856-4591 IS THE FAA COORDINATION FACILITY. DLY 1200-0500 1706161200-1707160500"

Reactions: zhongfu
The TFR could be quite large depending on the size of the fire. Due to shifting winds, smoke, and ash navigating an aircraft in a fire zone can lead to some out of the ordinary flight paths and altitudes.

Reactions: Rbruz
Thanks not sure how read the PilotWeb but if the SFC-14500FT is the radius then I am in the TFR by .4 mi. Just amazing for the quick response beachcombing ! I checked the B4UFly and it shows no restrictions.

Last edited:
Thanks not sure how read the PilotWeb but if the SFC-14500FT is the radius then I am in the TFZ by .4 mi. Just amazing for the quick response beachcombing ! I checked the B4UFly and it shows no restrictions.
It says the the TFR extends in a radius of 7 nautical miles from 35.4930N 106.3421W.

Google Maps

This doesn't bother anyone that DJI has this much control over your craft and flying ability? What happens when they get a NFZ wrong and ground you? Remember, that they are 1. not the FAA(US) and 2. are in communist China.

This doesn't bother anyone that DJI has this much control over your craft and flying ability? What happens when they get a NFZ wrong and ground you? Remember, that they are 1. not the FAA(US) and 2. are in communist China.

I'll cry about it on the internet... wait, that's not me, I'll move on with my life just like I would if my stereo quit working in my car for a day or my internet went out at home. It's a tool, sometimes tools don't work.

That's awesome that DJI implements flight restrictions. It's something you don't want legal trouble with.

I'm still on the fence regarding the NFZ, have upgraded without problems so far.
But it still begs the question of what happens if you are up in the air when a NFZ is implemented.
Rather than a forced Landing you should get a forced RTH.

I'm still on the fence regarding the NFZ, have upgraded without problems so far.
But it still begs the question of what happens if you are up in the air when a NFZ is implemented.
Rather than a forced Landing you should get a forced RTH.

This thread is a perfect example of why it is needed. OP didn't realize that the NM in the TFR meant nautical miles. Also even though he knew there was a fire he was not aware of how flight operations work in a fire zone. This is in no way meant as a knock towards the OP as most people don't but say for example he knew there was a fire 2 miles away but not that the actual TFR was 7NM around the fire and he accidentally flew in front of a water carrier or other aircraft?

Unfortunately now that a chain like Costco is selling drones that have the range these have they are going to end up in the hands of more and more people, and especially their children, that don't know or care about a NFZ or TFR and just want to get a closer look. With the amount of the market DJI controls now incidents involving these drones are only going to increase so by the NFZ and TFR being in place it actually helps to protect the hobby for those of us that do follow rules and pay attention to what we are doing.

All that said the system does need to be made a little more reliable although part of the reliability issues may be be people not updating the NFZ database often enough. I know that my house was in a NFZ after one update then it was fine again after the next update so if I had gotten frustrated and not updated again I may not have found out it was a mistake.

I have no problem what so ever with having the GEO system in place as long as it is information only, and you have control over your own flight. You have to take responsibility for your actions as a pilot. The FAA has always been about personal responsibility with all their warnings, trying to help pilots out. Now big brother DJI comes in and takes care of that for you. Does that also mean that DJI will now be liable if the GEO system doesn't work and you fly into a NFZ when you aren't supposed to? I wonder...

This thread is a perfect example of why it is needed. OP didn't realize that the NM in the TFR meant nautical miles. Also even though he knew there was a fire he was not aware of how flight operations work in a fire zone. This is in no way meant as a knock towards the OP as most people don't but say for example he knew there was a fire 2 miles away but not that the actual TFR was 7NM around the fire and he accidentally flew in front of a water carrier or other aircraft?

Unfortunately now that a chain like Costco is selling drones that have the range these have they are going to end up in the hands of more and more people, and especially their children, that don't know or care about a NFZ or TFR and just want to get a closer look. With the amount of the market DJI controls now incidents involving these drones are only going to increase so by the NFZ and TFR being in place it actually helps to protect the hobby for those of us that do follow rules and pay attention to what we are doing.

All that said the system does need to be made a little more reliable although part of the reliability issues may be be people not updating the NFZ database often enough. I know that my house was in a NFZ after one update then it was fine again after the next update so if I had gotten frustrated and not updated again I may not have found out it was a mistake.

^ You are spot on, now that the Mavic's are sold at stores like Costco where any bored consumer can impulse buy one and fly this will become a serious problem in no time. So many people see drones as toys and let spoiled little kids fly them. They are not toys. Just like in my days of gas powered RC airplanes. My dad sat and showed me how to build and fly one. One learns quickly with RC planes when the prop kicks back on the motor it can easily take a finger off and that the fuel is extremely flammable. Most parents will buy the drone at Costco, go home, play with it for a day then let the kids go off and fly or they will fly when parents are not around. Sadly in most cases both parents and children are ignorant to rules and regs and moreover safety. This is why these firmware things are happening.

Reactions: Nikon1
Called the FAA in Albuquerque a couple days ago and they told me that July 16 it would be lifted sooner. Fire 97% contained and the NFZ was remove. Only a week but within that week I tried unlock zones, tried beginners mode and even thought WIFI might work ! Didn't try aluminum foil though. What upsets me I was 2.5 Mi. away and could not even start the props, beginners mode please at least !

Reactions: boxsterfahrer
Called the FAA in Albuquerque a couple days ago and they told me that July 16 it would be lifted sooner. Fire 97% contained and the NFZ was remove. Only a week but within that week I tried unlock zones, tried beginners mode and even thought WIFI might work ! Didn't try aluminum foil though. What upsets me I was 2.5 Mi. away and could not even start the props, beginners mode please at least !

So you're 2.5 miles from a fire that has a 14-mile-diameter NFZ and you're upset you can't fly your toy where firefighting aircraft are active?

This is why these ego systems are needed.

So you're 2.5 miles from a fire that has a 14-mile-diameter NFZ and you're upset you can't fly your toy where firefighting aircraft are active?

This is why these ego systems are needed.

FAA certified ! Know the rules. Know my height know the flight paths know my back yard is 100 ft by 100 ft the highest hill ls 350 ft. Beginners mode please ! If a fire was close to your place ?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kquach229