DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Had the Mavic less than 24 hours. Crashed!

So I order a Mavic Pro on Monday and it arrived Friday afternoon. I didn't purchase DJI Refresh but made a call to State Farm and got coverage started the same day. $30/yr with a $100 deductible for any damage done to the drone including anything not deemed a manufacture defect. Glad I did!

Now to the story- I had a flew good flights around my neighborhood and got some awesome video and pictures. I decided to try out a couple of the other modes of flight. I was having it track my 8 year old in my front yard. My mistake- only being about 20 feet in the air AND telling my son to stay away from the house as it was circling him. He ran around for about 1 minute and then ran close to me...right by the house. The Mavic hit my shingles, slid down the roof and nose dived onto the cement sidewalk.

I was hoping it could survive a short fall...but my hopes were dashed. Initially the compass needed recalibrated and as I picked up the drone the front had some damage and the gimble had some scratches on it. I recalibrated the compass but then it said the left sensor was malfunctioning and I should restart the drone. After doing that, it didn't fix anything and the gimble couldn't move either.

It still flys but the video is very shaky so I made a call to State Farm and opened a claim. I guess I'll be finding out how they decide to cover it soon. My son feels awful, but ultimately it's all my fault.

I was hoping for several flights with the new toy this weekend...but the fun will have to wait. Hopefully my mistake will help someone else in the future. I tried to raise the altitude, but was too late.

Here's to hoping State Farm comes through!
Let us know what happens with State Farm. I'm thinking of insuring my Mavic with them. They already have my Car, House and Boat, might as well get my drone too.

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirjhara