DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hand catch boys - anyone here ? What about VPS in Mavic 2 ?

networth

Reactions
How many of you have hand catch your mavic 2 ?
I do it all the time for my mavic 1 and mavic 2 now.

But there is one question.
It doesnt let you catch it, if VISUAL POSITIONING DOWNWARD sensors are on.
So, you need to switch it off and then you can catch.

But its becoming a task now, because I always have to switch it off and hand catch and then try to remember it during my next flight and switch it on, and then again switch it off during hand catch.

Any tricks to hand catch without switching off VPS sensor ?

Hmmm, I haven't tried it yet with the M2P, did it all the time with the Mavic 1. I'll give it a go on my next flight.

I thought you just put your hand under it and wait for it to detect your hand as ground, and land.

I noticed a couple videos where they grab it tightly and then flip it upside-down to shut the props off. I think that came from the Air, correct? Does it work?

Looks sketchy when I see it. I'd like to get the hand launch/land down, if anything for launching from a boat. Seems sketchy to bring that into a drifting platform and get it in your hand safely.

I almost always hand catch. All sensors remain on. I just hold my hand out with left stick fully down and it just drops into my hand after a second or two and blades stop. Admittedly, it may jump up six inches or so initially after putting my hand out below the craft but it settles in nicely thereafter so long as the left stick (descend) remains down.

Hope that helps.

I almost always hand catch. All sensors remain on. I just hold my hand out with left stick fully down and it just drops into my hand after a second or two and blades stop. Admittedly, it may jump up six inches or so initially after putting my hand out below the craft but it settles in nicely thereafter so long as the left stick (descend) remains down.

Hope that helps.
Sounds like the best way. I used to push the hand out quick, so it would not get a chance to avoid it. But wouldnt do that on a boat. When I launched and landed on a RIB a few times, I launched from the small area up front, but its far from ideal. And if any wind, waves, you likely srew up. So hand launch/land are essential.
Tried flipping the Mavic 1 on its side to switch off the thing, but never worked (original firmware) and felt rather dangerous.

It's easier with Mavic 2 if anything, as it's more stable in borderline wind.
Just lower it onto your hand and grip it lightly as the motors stop.
You don't need turn anything off but Landing Protection on will usually make it pause then drop which is less predictable, that's probably better turned off.

Sounds like the best way. I used to push the hand out quick, so it would not get a chance to avoid it. But wouldnt do that on a boat. When I launched and landed on a RIB a few times, I launched from the small area up front, but its far from ideal. And if any wind, waves, you likely srew up. So hand launch/land are essential.
Tried flipping the Mavic 1 on its side to switch off the thing, but never worked (original firmware) and felt rather dangerous.

Most of my hand catches are a bouncing boat. I turn sensors off, have it hover just above head height grab it gently with them and fingers then hold left stick down for 3 seconds with the other hand.
I think its safer than it trying a "landing" on your hand whilst things are moving around.

I thought you just put your hand under it and wait for it to detect your hand as ground, and land.

I noticed a couple videos where they grab it tightly and then flip it upside-down to shut the props off. I think that came from the Air, correct? Does it work?

Looks sketchy when I see it. I'd like to get the hand launch/land down, if anything for launching from a boat. Seems sketchy to bring that into a drifting platform and get it in your hand safely.

You just need to tilt the Mavic 2 at a 45 plus degree of bank and the motors should stop. No need to go upside down. But be ready for the motors on the downward side to increase in an attempt to keep it upright, as you start the bank movement.

You just need to tilt the Mavic 2 at a 45 plus degree of bank and the motors should stop. No need to go upside down. But be ready for the motors on the downward side to increase in an attempt to keep it upright, as you start the bank movement.
Nice but quite expensive for just two pieces of plastic. This is getting like GA flying.

These skids could help us not loose a finger in the props...

They are available here:

http://www.irepairmd.com/product-page/arris-raptor2-skid-for-the-dji-mavic-2

I've ordered them with their quick release pontoons. :)View attachment 45537
From my experience these parts would make hand-landing more dangerous, so wasted money.
It is not possible grabbing both handles with just one hand, so the Mavic will tilt with no control to the side where you don't hold it.

Hope that helps.

Just tried that, works a treat, easier than either the air or the original MP, hover, hand under, down stick, land, easy! None of this 'turning it upside down' nonsense either!

Reactions: KiterTodd
I usually don’t fly with vps on as it is useless except indoors. hand landing with it off is easy. vps has been known to cause problems when flying over moving water

I need to check on how to turn off the VPS...:oops: I usually just let it hover in front of me, than grab it quickly from below and hold it tight, as it wants to escape. But pushing down the stick for 3 seconds shuts it off...:)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LMcVetty