DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Has anyone accomplished this?

Geo

Reactions
Here's a challenge- Fly your MP 1-2 miles away and land it. Take off and bring it home. I am looking for the right place to try this.There can be no trees as when your descend below them the MP will lose the signal. If you've accomplished this already, can we see the video?

Here's a challenge- Fly your MP 1-2 miles away and land it. Take off and bring it home. I am looking for the right place to try this.There can be no trees as when your descend below them the MP will lose the signal. If you've accomplished this already, can we see the video?
There was a thread about this a couple weeks ago, I do not think it has been accomplished yet.

If you stayed LOS (say, on a mountain or tall building looking down on the landing site) you might make that work... at least the landing part. Ground clutter might disconnect and RTH you, or prevent you from connecting and taking back off though.

So hypothetically you could have a companion parked at the preselected landing zone to secure it in case you didn't reconnect.

Be aware though, BVLOS is never advised, and illegal, so that would be on you, if something happened.

Last edited:
Reactions: dewster
Here is a related question that I think I know the answer. When you land is the RTH feature reset? So if you landed a mile away (and lost signal behind some obstruction) would the Mavic take-off and return to home when the battery was low? Or once you land, even in a different location, the RTH would be cancelled out.

...When you land is the RTH feature reset?...
Your home point will not change unless you reset it in the app or you turn the Mavic off and back on.
...So if you landed a mile away (and lost signal behind some obstruction) would the Mavic take-off and return to home when the battery was low?...
If you lose the connection with the RC failsafe RTH will kick in after 3 seconds unless it has already landed. If you lose connection after landing you have to re-establish connection to takeoff. It would present a safety risk if the Mavic were to takeoff by itself.

Your home point will not change unless you reset it in the app or you turn the Mavic off and back on.

If you lose the connection with the RC failsafe RTH will kick in after 3 seconds unless it has already landed. If you lose connection after landing you have to re-establish connection to takeoff. It would present a safety risk if the Mavic were to takeoff by itself.

This is partly incorrect. I had a thread similar a while back. IF you land at another position and take back off, the RTH point will be the NEW landing spot. I have done it several times in the simulator mode.

It is possible that the RTH setup has changed in different Go 4 versions. Thank you for the update.

I would have someone at the landing site. Both to film it coming in and to be there if there is a problem

Reactions: Neebles
I would have someone at the landing site. Both to film it coming in and to be there if there is a problem

Yep, I was going to try a flight to my folks house next summer, they live just over 2 miles away...
However I was going to start short. There is a huge park 1.3 miles away from my house (pretty much the 1/2 way point to my parents) in which I was going to fly to a buddy who was waiting...Maybe I’ll do a there and back before trying to go to my folks house.

Reactions: Geo and Callum
This is partly incorrect. I had a thread similar a while back. IF you land at another position and take back off, the RTH point will be the NEW landing spot. I have done it several times in the simulator mode.
I can confirm this as well. The new home point is recorded once you take off from the new location.

Slight caveat here. If you do a true manual landing with Landing Protection disabled but don't shut down the motors upon landing it will not reset the home point.

Reactions: HighlandsVideo
Don’t the motors shut off upon touchdown? Maybe when you use Rth it does. I don’t remember! Been too cold to fly for the last month or two.

Don’t the motors shut off upon touchdown? Maybe when you use Rth it does. I don’t remember! Been too cold to fly for the last month or two.

Not if you do a manual landing without Landing Protection turned on and you don't shut down the motors by holding the stick down for 3 seconds. If you landed using RTH that wouldn't be a manual landing ;-) .

Like I said. I have only tried it insimulator mode a few times. It always recorded the last landing spot as the new Home point. But I isn’t disable anything and I pribably held the down stick too long. I might simulate it again tonight and try a few things differently.

I've done this 4 or 5 times now at a distance of 3500 feet or so. Didn't have any videos so I threw this one together.

Only about 1200 feet. You can see that it resets the home point again after the second launch

Maybe try the opposite and drive 1 or 2 ks out. Then fly it home and land it in your own backyard.

Reactions: HighlandsVideo
And to keep someone from seeing it and saying "Oh, how nice. Thanks for the drone"!

Yep, I was going to try a flight to my folks house next summer, they live just over 2 miles away...
However I was going to start short. There is a huge park 1.3 miles away from my house (pretty much the 1/2 way point to my parents) in which I was going to fly to a buddy who was waiting...Maybe I’ll do a there and back before trying to go to my folks house.
That sounds extremely risky. Most of the time when I see people being daring enough to do something with their Mavic, they seem to think the big downside would be loosing their Mavic. It's just stuff. That would be only a $1000 loss.
Huge park? Out of VLOS. Lots of people to possibly interface with who may not be your buddy if things go wrong. And with it being totally illegal, you are opening your self up to possible major law suit if it doesn't go as planned. IThat possibility would be infinitely worse than loosing a Mavic. guess you have to ask yourself one question. "Do you feel lucky? Well, do you,,,,punk?" (Not a personal attack, just a classic Clint Eastwood quote from "Dirty Harry" BTW, in the movie, the one who felt lucky,,,,,,wasn't.)

This comment was not intended to infer that anyone, real, or fictional on this post is a punk.
No animals were injured in the posting of this reply.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman