DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Has anyone seen a video of a Mini 3 testers/reviewer aiming a rev counter at the Mini 3's props?

Yorkshire_Pud

Reactions
I was just wondering what the motor rpms are like and guess the DAT will be encrypted so we probably can not check via that.

@Yorkshire_Pud i guess we will have to wait to find out when we eventually get our hands on the drone ,just from a personal perspective ,i would say that because of the larger props ,the motors are going to spin a bit slower than those on the Mini 2 ,to achieve the same amount of lift
at a given RPM ,

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
as with all drones ,whatever the prop size and aerofoil shape
there is always going to be a minimum speed to allow for a still air hover
and a maximum speed at full throttle
these parameters are programmed into the drones IMU and ESC s and are designed to give the best performance possible at all times between the two points,and also taking into account the batteries ability to provide sufficient power over the speed range

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Do a spectral analysis of the sound in one of the many videos that have a sound sample and a bit raving about the lower noise levels than the mini 2. The frequency peaks will correlate with harmonics of the prop speeds. A little bit of maths will need to be done to translate Hz to RPM, factoring in number of props, number of blades and timebases.

Reactions: test2000Anafi
Or look in the log files for the motor rotation speeds.
I think the OP was looking for alternatives to exactly that since they said "guess the DAT [ie log file] will be encrypted so we probably can not check via that"

Reactions: MS Coast
I was just wondering what the motor rpms are like and guess the DAT will be encrypted so we probably can not check via that.
Just like your title says, although just to find out would be a waste of money unless you fly fixed wing and are tuning motors. This feature used to be built into the G0 4 App (On screen of motor RPM). So unless someone uses one of these from the days of my Fixed wing days, I guess you could just see if someone from your local R/C field has one or you buy it your self: https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Phot...del+airplane+tachometer&qid=1652439885&sr=8-4

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
Do a spectral analysis of the sound in one of the many videos that have a sound sample and a bit raving about the lower noise levels than the mini 2. The frequency peaks will correlate with harmonics of the prop speeds. A little bit of maths will need to be done to translate Hz to RPM, factoring in number of props, number of blades and timebases.
Somehow I think that that is a bit beyond most folks, including me.
Would it work in reality?
Reasons for asking
1) 4 propellors so mixed signals,
2) constantly changing individual motor speeds.

Somehow I think that that is a bit beyond most folks, including me.
Would it work in reality?
Reasons for asking
1) 4 propellors so mixed signals,
2) constantly changing individual motor speeds.
Spectral analysis definitely works and will get you an average speed of the props in general. I guess that's what you were after - a general idea of the prop speeds in a hover, for comparison to other drones in the same state.

I did a very crude "spectral analysis" of the video in post #8 and get the mini3 hover tone to be about a musical note of C4 (262hz). Props have 2 blades so divide by 2, then multiply by 60 to get rpm = 7860rpm.

Comparing that to the mini2 hover sound at about F4 (349hz). Doing the sums gives a hover prop speed of around 10470rpm. Any DAT file gurus able to advise what a typical mini2 hover prop speed is for comparison to my "fag packet" calculations?

Both drones were varying in pitch by 1-2 semitones so that's a variation of around 10%

I believe mini 2 dats can not be read. My Mavic Mini hover rpms seem to be around 8,000 to 10,000rpm in a hover but that is for a windy flight and looking via a slow MacBook so not easy to find an indoor hover flight (csvview takes a long time to process the DAT on this MacBook).
I can find one or fly one when I get onto my windows laptop.

I believe mini 2 dats can not be read. My Mavic Mini hover rpms seem to be around 8,000 to 10,000rpm in a hover but that is for a windy flight and looking via a slow MacBook so not easy to find an indoor hover flight (csvview takes a long time to process the DAT on this MacBook).
I can find one or fly one when I get onto my windows laptop.
I've messed about with mini1 dat files and csvview, but can't recall specifically what speeds the props sit at for a hover. Around about8-10k RPM sounds right, with a max speed of just under 17k.

Very broadly speaking it looks like the mini3 props are spinning about 75% the speed of a mini 2 for a hover.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark