DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Has anyone tried this trick?

On a calm day you can play about with what happens while hovering if you lightly hold it and raise or lower, or try to drag it sideways, all kind of interesting and explains what he does there.

I am doing similar all the time. My MM has never taken off from ground except for indoor flying and it also has never landed on ground.

But for safety I am doing it a bit different.

For taking off I don't place it on the palm of my hand, but hold it beween thumb and index finger just behind the front legs. Then I start the motors with the CSC method as shown in the video and either take off by throttle or just lowering my hand and opening my grip as soon as the motor rpm increases to hoovering rpm.

For landing I place the MM slightly above my head and facing towards me. Then I can cautiously approach with my hand from the front side, grab the MM again between thumb and index finger behind the front legs and stop the motors by either pulling the throttle stick fully down or quickly turning the MM onto its back. By this way the downward sensor will not see my hand and the MM will not try to ascend.

It is quite helpfull attaching a lanyard to the remote, so it can be operated by just one hand much more easily.

Btw. I am handling my Mavic Pro the same way since 3 years, without any problem or danger to me or the Mavic, even with stronger wind.

Last edited:
i didn't see any tricks?! basically he was showing off hand launch...for example i launch and land from my hand all the time. Him not seeing it on youtube doesn't mean nobody is doing/knowing it...and controlling drone with only the remote is basic...whenever the buggy dji fly app crashes that is what we are left off with, and that is why is called a remote controller.

i didn't see any tricks?! basically he was showing off hand launch...for example i launch and land from my hand all the time. Him not seeing it on youtube doesn't mean nobody is doing/knowing it...and controlling drone with only the remote is basic...whenever the buggy dji fly app crashes that is what we are left off with, and that is why is called a remote controller.
The 'trick' is that once the motors are started you don't actually have to power upwards, the result is similar if you drop your hand away as it wants to stay at the original altitude.

Once the motors are started, the drone will try to hold attitude and height so if you let go it will hover there. No sure whether it will try to hold position as well. May be someone can try ? Instead of letting the drone go, keep the height and move it horizontally ( change position ) and see whether it will fight you.

Like others, I hold MM in left hand with thumb and two fingers, then use the takeoff icon on left side of screen. When motor RPM's increase, I just let go of MM. When landing, I bring MM slightly above head high, facing away, then use the landing icon on left side of screen to land in my hand about chest high. Sometimes, the MM thinks it's not clear to land and asks if it's OK to land anyway, so just touch OK and down it comes and I retrieve with left hand again like takeoff.

really ?
do you think such "trick" is smart ? secure ? worth sharing ?
hum.....

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark