DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Have DJI pulled a fast one?

Bibs

Reactions
With the Karma launched, DJI had to divert sales from GoPro and to do this they brought the Mavic launch forward and bare-faced lied about the mid-October launch date. They have launched an unready & unavailable product and appear to have made up the "most destructive to GoPro" shipping date not just to get plenty of pre-orders, but more importantly to them, to bury the Karma.

I'm a new customer to DJI and this has left a very bitter taste, it's a poor business practice in my opinion and whilst I'm looking forward to having a Mavic, I'm unhappy putting money into the coffers of such a company.

Under promise and over deliver is key (and an ironic pun!). DJI are getting the backs up of tens of thousands of customers if we're all still waiting in a month.

I don't agree with them taking the money before shipment and not giving enough information as the big presentation they made said 15th October for shipment. If they are going to have a big launch like apple they need to make sure they stick to the dates. We know that there are Mavics out there but no-one has got a retail model yet. They could at least start sending some out and updating shipment notifications but I think they are overhwhelmed by the demand.

With the Karma launched, DJI had to divert sales from GoPro and to do this they brought the Mavic launch forward and bare-faced lied about the mid-October launch date. They have launched an unready & unavailable product and appear to have made up the "most destructive to GoPro" shipping date not just to get plenty of pre-orders, but more importantly to them, to bury the Karma.

I'm a new customer to DJI and this has left a very bitter taste, it's a poor business practice in my opinion and whilst I'm looking forward to having a Mavic, I'm unhappy putting money into the coffers of such a company.

Under promise and over deliver is key (and an ironic pun!). DJI are getting the backs up of tens of thousands of customers if we're all still waiting in a month.
You sure are right about that! I agree.. But, you're dealing with a Chinese company and Chinese company culture... What else would you expect, I'd have to remind..

Reactions: Bibs
I think they are overhwhelmed by the demand

There's nothing that can overwhelm them, all they'll have at the moment is a lot of pending orders in their online shop and a massive sum of money in their bank account. They're a big company, but with this launch they just lied. Remember the 'Karma is dead in the water' diatribe when the Mavic launch happened. If they'd delayed the launch or said they won't ship for 2-3 months, GoPro would have sold a stack of Karmas.

My supplier said they've preordered 250 units and had to pay for them up front. If DJI are like Apple, the margins will be very tight so that one small shop in the UK has given them close to £250,000 and are now unfairly inundated with huge amounts of 'where's my Mavic' calls.

That's not true... The GoPro Karma was originally supposed to be released in the first half of 2016, not Sept 2016. Just do a search on "Gopro Karma delayed" and you will see numerous articles talking about this.

So, the timing that the Mavic was announced just 2 weeks after the Karma is a coincidence..

But, you're dealing with a Chinese company and Chinese company culture

A very valid point. That said, surely their USA operation is just as big in terms of management, the launch was even in NYC and not Beijing for example, and those senior figures should have told their Chinese overlords that they would screw the companies reputation with this.

So, the timing that the Mavic was announced just 2 weeks after the Karma is a coincidence..

Really? A coincidence that they launched their golden egg 2 weeks after it's main competitor was launched? The Karma was incredibly well received until the Mavic was announced, and then it looked like a very bad buy by comparison...

Hello all,
I want to share the email I just received this morning regarding Mavic Pro delivery. Kind Regards.

Dear Customers,

We said at our Mavic Pro launch event that we would begin shipping in
mid-October. We’ve just passed that, and if you’re wondering where your
Mavic Pro is, we’d like to offer an update.

Since unveiling the Mavic Pro, we’ve had amazingly strong global demand. Production is in full swing, and we will be fulfilling orders as fast as we can.
If you have a DJI customer account, we’ll be sending you updates,
or you can check for new information in our online storehttp://store.dji.com/product/mavic-pro.

We thank you for your enthusiasm and patience and for being a DJI customer.

Best,
Adam Najberg
Global Director of Communication
DJI

OK - DJI have never hit a launch date yet with any of their products.

Going back to their NAZA days and their HD-2D's and also the H3-3D. They have always promised one date but delivered on another.

The Mavic will be no different. I have had a long conversation with an individual who it would be very unfair of me to say who but basically the dealers will not be getting anything like either the numbers they ordered or what they first thought they would be getting.

Some dealers in the UK have waiting lists/Pre-orders of nearly 300 Mavics, They thought they would be able to fulfill maybe a third of that first tranche - They wont!

Unfortunately, there will be a lot of unhappy early pre-orders who will not get their Mavic in the first and maybe even the second shipment.

Last edited:

Sure feels like it. And being one that just had to go through two Note 7 recalls and one exchange for a defective one I'm not loving these tech companies all that much.

Z

i got that bs email from DJI also. Someone should call again since now this global email was sent out saying that order are being filled.

Unfortunately this is DJI, being DJI. When I ordered which was the 28th, I had a feeling shipping middle of October wouldn't happen, its almost like add another month on from any date they give you, then you might get it. It is a shame and must be so frustrating for so many, but I did kind of expect this would happen. It is something to look forward too, just hope it is this side of Christmas!

I actually feel sorry for the UK Dealers!

There is a bunch of Chinese Mavic vids now on youtube that is about a day old. These users dont look like testers. The vids are hard to search for as they are chinese.

I think they have supplied themselves first before they supplied the rest of the world. I guess i would do the same.
If you put this into perspective, you will see why DJI cant keep up with demands..
China has a pop of 1.3bn. If 1% of 1% the wealthiest Chinese decide they want to pre-order the latest and greatest, then it works out to be 130,000 units of pre-orders.

I can't read Chinese on the DJI forum but if its flooded with trouble shooting issues as we speak, then we know who got the mavics first.

Another thing you will see happen is that Apple may some clause that they will get Mavics a few days before the promised. DJI may send about a handful to each store just to keep their business ties.

Since unveiling the Mavic Pro, we’ve had amazingly strong global demand. Production is in full swing, and we will be fulfilling orders as fast as we can.
If you have a DJI customer account, we’ll be sending you updates,

Shocking. So production is in full swing and they're making a really big pile of Mavic boxes somewhere rather than sending them to people who have paid for them?

piles%2Bof%2Bboxes.png

That's not true... The GoPro Karma was originally supposed to be released in the first half of 2016, not Sept 2016. Just do a search on "Gopro Karma delayed" and you will see numerous articles talking about this.

That was no coincidence.
I'm afraid you are very naive If you believe that.

This is so annoying. It's clear the product works and is built to production quality. There are over a dozen units out there and not one of them has ever felt like the hardware was beta. They really need to be forthcoming and set expectations on when they're going to bother shipping.

The difference being GoPro didn't announce their drone in 1H 2016, they announced it when it was ready. Still a month out, but not half a year.

DJI is being downright secretive now that they've missed their target date.

It's always been the same with every DJI launch I can remember.
I remember the Inspire launch being especially bad. It was announced on 13th November 2014 and I placed an order that day. I finally got it in my hands on the 12th January 2015.

Mid November sucks but it isn't the end of the world if they don't delay it any longer.
I ordered a Lily Camera in May of 2015...still don't have it. Once the Mavic was announced I bailed out.
Hopefully we are only talking about a few weeks and everyone will forget about it when its at your door step.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada