DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Having seconds thoughts clicking buy it now

Ordered a Mavic last week but had to wait until my CC payment cleared so I cancceled my order. Was gonna buy it today but I've been hearing nothing but negative stuff about The DJI Go app after this latest update. My friends are getting CPU overload warnings and messed up video. They say they have t bother to fly anymore with this latest update...... everything worked fine before that. All these negative reports about DJI's app is the cure for my recent case of drone fever. Someone convince me otherwise?

I ordered a case and some accessories on Amazon, maybe best to just cut my losses now.

I use an iPad mini for the larger screen and the absence of phone interruptions and I have found that when I am casheing the video to the iPad its processor overheats after a few minutes and stops displaying or casheing in real time. It has been specifically associated with really hot weather and so I'm not sure whether it has anything to do with the app itself. It can still happen even with casheing turned off however only it takes longer for it to to overheat. It has no affect on the on board recording or control features, but it negates FPV flying.

Do you know of a B4ufly app, or something similar for Canada?

I've looked everywhere but haven't found one.

Thanks

Bud

The B4ufly app is what I use to check flight restrictions.
I have had my Mavic since April and have had zero problems. I use a Samsung s6 to control the quad. I keep all software updated. I love my Mavic have nothing bad to say about it. I have it insured and if anything ever happens to it I will immediately buy another one.

If your hesitation is due to finances then you shouldn't be influenced by anyone or anything. However, if it's not and you're just not sure if Mavic is the right one let me be the one to influence you. I'm a newbie to drones. I'm a long time photography hobbyist. And I'm a huge fan of the Mavic. It's a tremendous experience flying such a high quality drone. I've tested lesser quality and there's no comparison. As for the photography, unless you're gonna pay thousands more this is a high end camera inside and out with a very good gimbal. The stabilization on the drone with both video and photos is beyond amazing. You would never think something that small/light can be that stable with moderately windy conditions. I use an iPhone 7+ and have had very very minor issues at the most. Probably user error if anything. As for customer service, I've only contacted them a couple times (via twitter direct messaging) and they've been impressive. Not only responding within an hour each time, but they actually provided real help.

Mavic Pro is a high quality product from a high end company. For the price I can't imagine a better buy.

Good luck.

Ordered a Mavic last week but had to wait until my CC payment cleared so I cancceled my order. Was gonna buy it today but I've been hearing nothing but negative stuff about The DJI Go app after this latest update. My friends are getting CPU overload warnings and messed up video. They say they have t bother to fly anymore with this latest update...... everything worked fine before that. All these negative reports about DJI's app is the cure for my recent case of drone fever. Someone convince me otherwise?

I ordered a case and some accessories on Amazon, maybe best to just cut my losses now.
Par for the course my man. I spent over $5000 with DJI (P4, P4P+, Mavic and accessories) and was an avid promoter of their products. Yet, I've stopped buying DJI. Firmware issues, overbearing hardware control issues, lack of communications with their customers, No Fly Zone issues and general poor service. Even the official forum moderators ( DJI FORUM ) complain about lack of communications from the company - see below recent example. There have been reports of new Mavics with scratches and what not out of the box, indicating a refurb sold as new. I lost trust in DJI. As viable options continue to become available, I suspect the company will loose its 70% market share over the next 2 years. It's a superior product for sure but every other experience with the company will leave you frustrated. My advice is to stay away from DJI until they learn what customer appreciation means.

upload_2017-7-29_14-42-23.png

Last edited:
This is helping. What could be the problem everyone is talking about with DJI's app? I would buy Litchi to get around any problems is this considered a more reliable app?

Good grief not another G(Litchi) victim! At least consider a better alternative
"FPV Camera" check out their website and some of their tutorials. I would also recommend AutoPilot but learning curve is difficult for some. I have experience with all three and the Litchi app often has issues with focus for quite some time if you read the forums

Took the Mavic out for the first time today. I live in NM, the landscape is like a Georgia Okeeffe painting. I flew until I could barely see it, and up and down cliffs, over hills! What a blast. No problems whatsoever with the app. I was far more concerned with learning the controls, and forgot to turn on the video..... **** would have been some insane footage..... I'm going back out first thing in the morning!

Have 3 batteries and realize I need maybe 3 more! What a glorious machine!

Can someone recommend a portable battery charger? Like a sine wave inverter type.

I do have one question while I seem to have your attention. How do I find out if I'm within a 5 mile radius of the airport? Is there an app for that? I might be close.
Just ask Google before you fly

This was my first drone. I use Samsung S7 Edge. Never a problem. Once started flying with less than full batteries. Had RTH set @ 400'. Was only a few hundred feet down a dirt road. Got to 10% battery, tried to land, it went to 400' and came back to land just before power died. Will never do that again!

Reactions: Zoro
The DJI Go app simply closes on my fairly regularly.

Instead of just deciding to return my Mavic (it works fine, the app doesn't), I instead installed Litchi, and what an enjoyable experience. I haven't used it much, but I've yet to have the thing close. The video on the phone is great as well. I used it to do a 360 pano..worked great!
Try an app called "ShutApp" and run it right before you fly. It shuts down all background apps that may (or may not) be using assets on the phone or tablet. It's amazing the things still running after shutting them down. I usually run ShutApp then reboot and check ShutApp again to see if anything is running. If it is I run it again and only then fly and I've stopped 95% of the problems with GO4 or with Litchi. I rarely use GO4 preferring Litchi because it almost never crashes.
I fly both with a Note 4 and an Nvidia Shield tablet and same results on both. The Note 4 does not not have an operable SIM card as I've upgraded my cell service to a Galaxy 8+ so I deleted all the apps that I could on the Note 4 and use it mainly for the Spark and sometimes the Mavic if I go out on the boat. I wish I knew the proper procedure to root the Note 4 but I'm afraid I'll brick it.

Reactions: NCTurner

The biggest regret that you would have would be the cancelling of your order for the mavic! Even if you do not like the dji Go app (which works beautifully with iOS) there are definitely alternative that you can fly with like the renowned Litchi app.

I'm sure many would agree that buying the mavic was the best decision made in 2016/17 haha! And seriously forums are mostly filled with people who are seeking for advice and for help. Dosent mean that the product is not a good one as many are too happy enjoying flying their drone with a new love for aerial videography, spending time editing videos, and have a lack of time to be posting on how good the mavic is. Honestly I was concerned with a few issues with the mavic but once I saw the video footage I was completely sold.

Best decision I made, even if it did annoy my partner initially when she was against it. Now she wants to go fly it with me and take control of the remote.

The biggest regret that you would have would be the cancelling of your order for the mavic! Even if you do not like the dji Go app (which works beautifully with iOS) there are definitely alternative that you can fly with like the renowned Litchi app.

I'm sure many would agree that buying the mavic was the best decision made in 2016/17 haha! And seriously forums are mostly filled with people who are seeking for advice and for help. Dosent mean that the product is not a good one as many are too happy enjoying flying their drone with a new love for aerial videography, spending time editing videos, and have a lack of time to be posting on how good the mavic is. Honestly I was concerned with a few issues with the mavic but once I saw the video footage I was completely sold.

Best decision I made, even if it did annoy my partner initially when she was against it. Now she wants to go fly it with me and take control of the remote.

Thanks! Yes, I ended up buying the Mavic and got it last Friday. I took it out twice and had a blast! Just bought a 4th battery so I can fly it without worrying.

I broke the news to my wife and now she wants to come a fly as well. I can slip a new lens, or a camera in under the radar without her noticing, but the drone is pretty obvious... ha!

Thinking about another trip out tommorow. I did land the Mavic in some uneven rocky place, and as a result the gimbal came off the 3 points, and the last flight was mush. I fixed it!

I have a couple Canon C100's which I'm used to, but the Mavic's image looks pretty soft. Was too busy practicing the flight controls to notice I over espoused the image.

Reactions: benjaminkan
Thanks! Yes, I ended up buying the Mavic and got it last Friday. I took it out twice and had a blast! Just bought a 4th battery so I can fly it without worrying.

I broke the news to my wife and now she wants to come a fly as well. I can slip a new lens, or a camera in under the radar without her noticing, but the drone is pretty obvious... ha!

Thinking about another trip out tommorow. I did land the Mavic in some uneven rocky place, and as a result the gimbal came off the 3 points, and the last flight was mush. I fixed it!

I have a couple Canon C100's which I'm used to, but the Mavic's image looks pretty soft. Was too busy practicing the flight controls to notice I over espoused the image.

Look at us. We keep spending more money!

Look at us. We keep spending more money!

I have a lot invested in video equipment, however the Mavic pro or any drone at this point doesn't fit with what I do. The Mavic is just fun and entertainment for me at this point.

Coming from a video background the image of the P4 pro was very nice, wasn't sure I was gonna be able to live with the Mavic's soft image. I was on the fence between the P4 pro and the Mavic, like most people I bit the bullet on image quality, and portability won me over. That said, I have seen some decent images from it, and maybe the fun will be to fine tune the image the best I can.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michalis