DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hawk eyeballing my drone at 400'

Been there done that, but what if you are already at max altitude?
Another reason not to set the drone's max altitude at 400 feet.

I thought I recognized that area as I am from Stoughton. Is the building close to the Blue Hills Reservation? I hike there whenever I am back east. I have run into owls on the trail. That is a great shot you got of the bird in flight. What is your website, so I can check it out? Great information and thanks for giving us a perspective of your percentage of flights with bird strikes!
Close! While I live near Blue Hills myself, this was actually in Southern NH at a new distribution plant that I've been doing photos of for nearly a year. I don't have much up on my website really

Been there done that, but what if you are already at max altitude?
I wouldn't hesitate for a split second to ascend to 500' or more if I noticed a bird of prey getting close to me. You can dispense with FAA altitude regulations to maintain safety and that would definitely qualify.

Reactions: Dbez1
On second thought I think it is an owl LOL - I was doing an orbit around the construction site counter-clockwise at a fairly good clip. So it was like a second of interaction, a quick strike, it flew away, I was unstable for a few seconds but recovered and landed. Tiny bit taken out of prop but I replaced it and continued flying. I was finished with the high aerials and everything left was 100' or lower and kept a real close eye on it.

This is my 5th bird strike.

Hawk attack on golf course, pigeon in city near rooftop of skyscraper, seagull off coast near water treatment plant, unknown bird at low altitude in city.

Golf course Hawk was total loss (Hawk flew away, drone dropped to ground and totally smashed (recovered parts and repaired w/ Refresh)).

Pigeon attack was total loss (recovered but no active refresh).

Seagull attack was total loss (Had refresh but lost over water and never recovered).

Unknown bird was crash with minor damage but repaired with Refresh.
Maybe the FAA should be more concerned with wildlife than RID ! 😁

On second thought I think it is an owl LOL - I was doing an orbit around the construction site counter-clockwise at a fairly good clip. So it was like a second of interaction, a quick strike, it flew away, I was unstable for a few seconds but recovered and landed. Tiny bit taken out of prop but I replaced it and continued flying. I was finished with the high aerials and everything left was 100' or lower and kept a real close eye on it.

This is my 5th bird strike.

Hawk attack on golf course, pigeon in city near rooftop of skyscraper, seagull off coast near water treatment plant, unknown bird at low altitude in city.

Golf course Hawk was total loss (Hawk flew away, drone dropped to ground and totally smashed (recovered parts and repaired w/ Refresh)).

Pigeon attack was total loss (recovered but no active refresh).

Seagull attack was total loss (Had refresh but lost over water and never recovered).

Unknown bird was crash with minor damage but repaired with Refresh.
That image is of a falcon. Still a raptor, and can be aggressive if you are near their nesting area. They are territorial.
I wonder if you ran a strobe they would be less interested?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark