DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Heathrow Departures Stopped As Drone Spotted

Well just to say something on here. It wasn’t me! My drone won’t fly that far...

Video looks like a helicopter to me and Im about as much of an expert as the cameraman.

This caused issues here in Canada, that sited Gatwick as they released the rules and regs for Canada that were released today. They are tighten the nouse and although the rules are good they are going beyond what is needed, it will make it a rich man's sport in Canada as the average hobbiest will not be able to get through the license. Process.

This caused issues here in Canada, that sited Gatwick as they released the rules and regs for Canada that were released today. They are tighten the nouse and although the rules are good they are going beyond what is needed, it will make it a rich man's sport in Canada as the average hobbiest will not be able to get through the license. Process.
Challenge it!!!
Still , there is no qualified proof that a drone was spotted.
Just "say so". No photographs, no qualified tower sightings.
If Canada is using Gatwick as presidence of new laws, then the evidence is weak

Just like Gatwick, these are probably law enforcement drones. I would love to see the behind the scene political battle concerning who will pay the $10-$50 million dollar loss at Gatwick.

Maybe they'll throw caution to the wind again and arrest another innocent couple. :eek:

No photo.. .no drone... There weren't any at Gatwick either... the authorities have a very long history of just making stuff up or believing imbeciles.

Except it appears there was a drone because they've charged someone.

Man charged with flying drone near Heathrow

Actually, I think this is a completely different incident. The suspected drone flight(s) that grounded flights at Heathrow in the first post in this thread were not until the 8th of January. This story relates to a drone flight near Heathrow on the 24th December, right after the disruption at Gatwick, that doesn't seem to have drawn much (any?) media attention at the time.

All the articles on this I've found with Google are also all rather light on details, in particular they doesn't confirm whether the supposed flight was even within the NFZ or not, although that does seem likely given the charges. It's equally possible that the police were being extra cautious after the Gatwick disruption and the flight was actually legal, or it was a very unwise decision to do a low-altitude test flight of a Christmas present on a local field that happened to be within the NFZ.

If it was legal it wouldnt have got as far as charges being brought.
Agree though just because you CAN do something doesnt mean you should. Flying a drone really close to an airport ATZ at the time Gatwick was all over the news was at best completely idiotic.

If it was legal it wouldnt have got as far as charges being brought.
Agree though just because you CAN do something doesnt mean you should. Flying a drone really close to an airport ATZ at the time Gatwick was all over the news was at best completely idiotic.

Agree 100%. I'd like to think the police would verify the location was within the NFZ before bringing charges too, and even being anywhere near a flight path with a drone right after Gatwick (legal or not) definitely isn't the smartest of ideas.

However, none of that is confirmed in the coverage, so just trying to avoid everyone jumping to conclusions like happened with the Gatwick couple, especially since the guy's name is mentioned.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev