DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Height question

mrshanes

Reactions
I'm in the US and I know the rule is 400 feet. However, what exactly does that apply to? For instance, I'd like to shoot some bridge shots. I plan to launch from a trail below the bridge. The top of the bridge deck is about 150 feet about where I'm launching from. Can I go 400 feet above the bridge (i.e. 550 feet above my launch point) or can I only go 250 feet above the bridge (400 feet above my launch point)?

Great question. I would think it would be 400 from where you are standing. But that begs the question if you were standing on the top of say, Pikes Peak Can you go 400 ft up from there? And how far out can you fly? Or can you be on the top of a 400ft building and go up another 400ft? That's a head scratcher but I would say go to the point where the bridge and land connect and just fly out from there. If you go up 400 feet from there, I would say your safe.

You can go 400' above buildings, if you fly within a 400-foot radius of a structure. If a building’s height is 1,200', you are allowed to go to a maximum of 1,600'.
This is helpful to know because in the event you are flying up over a hill, your maximum altitude can adjust accordingly.

The FAA addresses this in section 5.11 - https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/AC_107-2_AFS-1_Signed.pdf
  • Cannot be flown higher than 400 feet above ground level (AGL), unless flown within a 400-foot radius of a structure and does not fly higher than 400 feet above the structure’s immediate uppermost limit;

I'm in the US and I know the rule is 400 feet. However, what exactly does that apply to? For instance, I'd like to shoot some bridge shots. I plan to launch from a trail below the bridge. The top of the bridge deck is about 150 feet about where I'm launching from. Can I go 400 feet above the bridge (i.e. 550 feet above my launch point) or can I only go 250 feet above the bridge (400 feet above my launch point)?

My interpretation of the regulations is that max legal altitude is 400', however it also says below that that you can exceed the 400' if you remain w/in 400' of the structure. Obviously common sense applies here and flying at 1,000' is not applicable, along w/ the standard, give right of way to acft, which frankly you should NEVER operate where aircraft operate nor should you operate at altitudes of acft. Which is why they don't want you w/in 5 miles of airports because of pattern altitude. But yes from my interpretation of the regulations you would be allowed to exceed only to shoot the structure if you remain w/ in the structures immediate vicinity. Clearly you will want to use Airmap, Kittyhawk, etc to ensure you don't violate airspace.

Seeing this in Part 107 Summary dated 21 Jun 2016.

• Maximum altitude of 400 feet above ground level (AGL) or, if higher than 400 feet AGL, remain within 400 feet of a structure.

You can go 400' above buildings, if you fly within a 400-foot radius of a structure. If a building’s height is 1,200', you are allowed to go to a maximum of 1,600'.
This is helpful to know because in the event you are flying up over a hill, your maximum altitude can adjust accordingly.

The FAA addresses this in section 5.11 - https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/AC_107-2_AFS-1_Signed.pdf
  • Cannot be flown higher than 400 feet above ground level (AGL), unless flown within a 400-foot radius of a structure and does not fly higher than 400 feet above the structure’s immediate uppermost limit;
This is the law for those of us with part 107 licenses (says right in the link you sent). If your a hobbiest you should find the hobbiest laws because they differ for some things.

Works the same in this instance for hobby fliers too.

There is no 400' regulation or limitation for hobby use. Section 336 states no such limit and the FAA has confirmed this in their letter to the AMA as well.

Can I go 400 feet above the bridge (i.e. 550 feet above my launch point) or can I only go 250 feet above the bridge (400 feet above my launch point)?
You would be fine as long as you are flying safe as there is no 400' limit for hobby flying.

There is no 400' regulation or limitation for hobby use. Section 336 states no such limit and the FAA has confirmed this in their letter to the AMA as well.
Do not start this up. I know there is no hard set rule for hobby flyers, but common sense for most hobby flyers is 400'. It is also what the FAA recommends.

Do not start this up. I know there is no hard set rule for hobby flyers, but common sense for most hobby flyers is 400'. It is also what the FAA recommends.

Not to mention that in 90% of situations there is no legitimate reason to exceed the 400' standard.

I would beg to differ. If he registered his drone with the FAA, then he agreed to abide by the 400' rule. It states that right on the website that you are registering plus it states it on the certificate with your registration number.

Reactions: tyco
I would beg to differ. If he registered his drone with the FAA, then he agreed to abide by the 400' rule. It states that right on the website that you are registering plus it states it on the certificate with your registration number.

That and when you go to set a higher altitude the software clearly warns you that doing so means you assume all risks and DJI will not cover you. Honestly though I can see maybe once or so out in the country taking it up to 1500' to see what it's like but why would a person need to exceed 400' on a regular basis? I can totally see doing it if you are at the base of a rock wall and want to fly to the top of it.

I'd like nothing better then to give you the correct information. However, as you can see above... this is not allowed. It's against the Community Guidelines.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143