DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello from England.

warpfactor55

Reactions
Hello from England. I am hoping that this forum is going to be helpful for me because my project for this year is to create a history of my local rural area which I have known for well over 60 years. And I know the area very well indeed because I started and ran a farm contracting business for nearly 50 years as well as being fortunate enough to be able to start and farm on my own account as well. I have worked for other farmers in about 60-70% of fields within a 5 mile radius and I have lots of interesting tales to tell and data to divulge. I live about 10 miles from Stratford-upon-Avon and if any of you have ever visited that area you will know that while it is a wonderful part of England the countryside has changed dramatically during my lifetime.

The reader has probably guessed that this project will be my swan song and I am convinced that a drone is an esential piece of kit to enable me to do this. I don't have a drone yet but have set my heart on a Mavic and if anyone has comments about that then please feel free to do so. It would be a new sphere of activity for me but I am reasonably conversant with a pc (I actually started at the DOS prompt in 1985 !) and I use Cyberlink Power Director for editing videos that I take and so while I obviously have a lot to learn I like to think that, even my age, I am not entirely stupid.

My apologies for this long introduction but I do have quite a few questions to ask which I will ask in the appropriate place. Thank you.

Welcome to the forum O'Warped Factor,

I hope you find the info below handy. I remember the heady days of DOS as well. Pure nostalgia.Thumbswayup

To protect yourself in the case of an accident, insurance is a good idea. e.g. (BMFA) British Model Flying Association (UK). It costs £33 at the time of writing. Click on the link to view their web site :-

Members Insurance

You can also insure your UAV against damage : -

Drone Insurance - Phantom Flight School

The next thing to do is join a flying club to learn the ropes. Its more than likely there will be members only too glad to help out with advice or find someone near you who has a Phantom. The golden rule :- Always get permission from the landowner to take off and land.

After some time, something to aim for is :-

Multi-Rotor –

You might like to try the following apps. The first one shows UK airspace and includes NOTAMS.

UK AirspaceAVOID for Pilots – Android Apps on Google Play and :- No Fly Drones

One item that I have found to be of great help is a clear coloured strobe light. I affixed mine to the rear of my P3 and it is easily seen in daylight for some distance. It helps greatly to determine orientation.

STROBON Cree® Standalone - Flytron

If you have any questions try doing a search first by clicking the magnifying glass top right. You might find your question has already been asked and it will save you a lot of time. If you can’t find an answer, then just post the question. If you want to check your spelling, put your cursor over the word with a red line under it, click once right and choose the correct spelling. We are only to happy to help.

Enjoy the forum.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

Thank you both for that. I had noticed your post deltamike on another newbie's introduction and I intend to follow up and read your links over the next couple of weeks. I still do my accounts on a program written in P-System Pascal hosted under DOS and which doesn't run under Windows so still using an old 486 pc for that ! I have actually still got my old Apricot 286/30 pc in the loft that I bought new. Imagine, a 30Mb hard drive ! And that 286 chip after using an 8086 machine ?. Couldn't believe the speed. 1Mb of RAM as well ! I was in 7th Heaven.

And thanks DC. I do have quite a few questions which I will ask after searching for answers. Is there a best part of this forum for newbie questions ?

Hello from England. I am hoping that this forum is going to be helpful for me because my project for this year is to create a history of my local rural area which I have known for well over 60 years. And I know the area very well indeed because I started and ran a farm contracting business for nearly 50 years as well as being fortunate enough to be able to start and farm on my own account as well. I have worked for other farmers in about 60-70% of fields within a 5 mile radius and I have lots of interesting tales to tell and data to divulge. I live about 10 miles from Stratford-upon-Avon and if any of you have ever visited that area you will know that while it is a wonderful part of England the countryside has changed dramatically during my lifetime.

The reader has probably guessed that this project will be my swan song and I am convinced that a drone is an esential piece of kit to enable me to do this. I don't have a drone yet but have set my heart on a Mavic and if anyone has comments about that then please feel free to do so. It would be a new sphere of activity for me but I am reasonably conversant with a pc (I actually started at the DOS prompt in 1985 !) and I use Cyberlink Power Director for editing videos that I take and so while I obviously have a lot to learn I like to think that, even my age, I am not entirely stupid.

My apologies for this long introduction but I do have quite a few questions to ask which I will ask in the appropriate place. Thank you.
Howdy from Wyoming @warpfactor55 , welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

Reactions: warpfactor55
Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)

Is there a best part of this forum for newbie questions?
Just make sure you post in the appropriate forum for your Mavic model and you'll be good ;)

Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Mavic Pilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Mavic quadcopters.
Enjoy! Thumbswayup
*MAVIC PRO MANUAL: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/20171219/Mavic Pro User Manual V2.0.pdf
*MAVIC PRO PLATINUM MANUAL: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/20171123/Mavic_Pro_User_Manual V1.8.pdf
*MAVIC AIR QUICK START GUIDE: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic Air/Mavic Air Quick Start Guide v1.0 .pdf
*GO 4 APP MANUAL: DJI Go 4 Manual

Hi Warp,

I have made an addition to my list.

If you are going to carry out any flights you can register the area you will be operating at with dates, times and the grid reference to the RAF who will issue a NOTAM to relevant agencies. Their number is Low Flying Ops
0800 515 544.

The grid reference can be found on :-

Grid Reference Finder

Better safe than sorry I guess.

Reactions: VARSITY
Thank you @deltamike That's a very useful bit of info. I reckon on any given day I would only be flying within a half mile radius. I have decided to cover an area of about 4 miles radius in total but it would only be a small part at every session because I want to pause the video in lots of places when I do the voiceover when I get back to editing on the pc. I have various pointers that I can add to the video and then say that so and so happened here, so and so happened there, I ploughed that field umpteen times, etc. etc.

Reactions: deltamike
It sounds like an awesome project! I’m sure the Mavic will suit your needs well. Good luck going forward and please keep us updated on your work!

Many thanks @SouthernComfort. Yes, I keep turning it over in my mind and because I have so much local knowledge of the area (and I'm not attempting to bragt here) I think it is going to take quite a while. The actual flying and getting footage is going to be the easy bit. It's when I get back to the pc and start to edit and do the voiceover that is going to take the time. I am a natural talker (some would say far too much !!!) but I had lived and worked around this bit of coutryside all my life and I remember when it was so very different. Things have evolved, the World has moved on, but for some reason which I don't even understand myself, I want to tell it how it was.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead