DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

papi27

Reactions
Hi.

I am actually droneless for the last two days. Flew a Phantom 4 since late 2016. Absolutely loved it, but the Canadian Rule Makers absolutely took the fun out of drone flying. I have my Basic Pilot Certificate.

Used my Phantom both in Canada and the USA, since I have been wintering in the South West for the last several years.

Now, I want to stay under the 250 gram radar. Much less headaches. My plan was to sell the Phantom and immediately buy the Mavic Mini 2. Before I pressed the Complete Order button, I decided to google Mavic Mini 3, just In case. Low and behold, there might be one available this coming fall, so I will wait and see.

Can't wait to get my hands on the Mini, fly again, and take real nice photos and videos. All this without filling logs, check lists, etc, etc. The fun of flying a drone will be back.

By the way, I just passed the TRUST test on line. Much much easier than the Canadian version. The folks South of the Border got this one right. The Intent of the test is not to screen out recreational droning (like the Canadians are trying hard to do) but it is to ensure that all recreational drone pilots know about the basic safety rules, and to encourage recreational drone pilots.

Take real good care everyone.

Norm

Hello from the Crossroads of America papi27.

Nice to meet you Norm. ?

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching. Thumbswayup

Greetings welcome to the forum! , thanks for sharing!

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! ? Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

What did they do to you guys?
All things considered, the Canadian regulations are much better in many aspects compared to those of other countries. But they're still cumbersome and onerous and downright ridiculous in some instances.

Do we really need to keep a log book documenting every flight conducted in our back yard? Or do we really need to maintain a log book, to be kept available for inspection for up to 2 years, of all maintenance performed on our aircraft every time we change a propeller?

My favourite, according to CARS 901.48 (1)
(b) a record containing the particulars of any mandatory action and any other maintenance action, modification or repair performed on the system, including
(i) the names of the persons who performed them,
See: laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-96-433/page-181.html#h-1111879

If I send my DJI Phantom to China for repairs, I would legally be required to log the actual name of the Chinese technician who performed the repair? That ain't ever gonna happen, eh. We're not flying space shuttles or Predator drones here. Some of these regulations make absolutely no sense.

Anything flown weighing 250grams or more must be registered and requires the pilot to hold at least a Basic Certificate. But you have to be at least 14 years old in order to register your drone, and at least 14 years old to apply for the Basic Certificate. If you're younger than that, too bad so sad, your mom needs to register your toy for you and take the test for you and supervise all your flights and fill out your log books, and make sure you change your underwear. I guess that makes sense if we're trying to prevent 13 year olds from flying space shuttles or Predator drones. But, sheesh, I was flying kites, free-flight gliders, control-line Cox 049 model planes, then radio-controlled planes well before age 14.

Personally, I think the hysterical over-regulation of model airplanes (drones) is beyond ridiculous in relation to the actual minimal risk involved. Imagine the uproar if anyone proposed regulations banning kids under the age of 14 from riding skateboards or bicycles (unless accompanied at all times by their moms). There is far greater statistical justification for such a regulation as skateboards and bicycles are proven to be more lethal than model aircraft.

Anyway, I could just buckle down and pay the small fee to register my Phantoms, and take all the stupid tests, and submit to the lunacy of documenting every flight in my logbook and recording the full details of who, when, where every time a propeller blade needs changing. Other people are doing it. So it can't be all that hard to do.

But just the thought of surrendering to such indignities makes my stomach churn. Instead my Phantoms have sat idle since the new Regs were imposed and I instead only fly my sub-250g Mavic Mini. As a long-time model plane flyer, I fully understand the "Don't be an Idiot" rule which always has and still applies.

I still think all this unnecessary over-regulation is counter-productive. The people (and supportive moms) taking the time to actually study all the overly complex requirements, and agreeing to submit to them, are not the people causing the problems in the first place. The idiots in this world will continue to be idiots. More regulations will never cure that, they instead only increase the burden on the already responsible people.

Hi.

I am actually droneless for the last two days. Flew a Phantom 4 since late 2016. Absolutely loved it, but the Canadian Rule Makers absolutely took the fun out of drone flying. I have my Basic Pilot Certificate.

Used my Phantom both in Canada and the USA, since I have been wintering in the South West for the last several years.

Now, I want to stay under the 250 gram radar. Much less headaches. My plan was to sell the Phantom and immediately buy the Mavic Mini 2. Before I pressed the Complete Order button, I decided to google Mavic Mini 3, just In case. Low and behold, there might be one available this coming fall, so I will wait and see.

Can't wait to get my hands on the Mini, fly again, and take real nice photos and videos. All this without filling logs, check lists, etc, etc. The fun of flying a drone will be back.

By the way, I just passed the TRUST test on line. Much much easier than the Canadian version. The folks South of the Border got this one right. The Intent of the test is not to screen out recreational droning (like the Canadians are trying hard to do) but it is to ensure that all recreational drone pilots know about the basic safety rules, and to encourage recreational drone pilots.

Take real good care everyone.

Norm
Welcome to MavicPilots from Dayton Ohio USA! Fly safe and have fun!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J