DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help from someone with P4 and Mavic experience

plrogers1126

Reactions
On pressing RTH or manual landing my Mavic slows decent greatly about 5 feet off the ground and lands softly. My P4 seems to just drop and lands much harder. Both were from Christmas so very little experience with them. Is this just a difference in the drones or is something wrong with the P4. I apologize I realize this may not be the right forum for this.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

On pressing RTH or manual landing my Mavic slows decent greatly about 5 feet off the ground and lands softly. My P4 seems to just drop and lands much harder. Both were from Christmas so very little experience with them. Is this just a difference in the drones or is something wrong with the P4. I apologize I realize this may not be the right forum for this.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
The Mavic uses a different landing procedure. Just after take off, the bottom sensors take a snap shot of the landing area. This is done to give better precision to the landing. Once RTH is initialized, the Mavic will decend to the home point, hover and look for that image of the ground from where it took off.
This accompanied with GPS is why the landing process is more gentle.

The P4 on the other hand does not use the same procedure.
It just returns to the home point, descends and lands with out hesitation.
There are some ways to change the way the aircrafts land and that would be to turn off the VPS sensors before executing the RTH command.
Most avid pilots prefer to manually land there birds due to the nature of how it works, however RTH is still used when you have trouble in a emergency.
Once the aircraft is starting to decend, you are able to over ride and control the landing.
Hope this helps. Some others may chime in with more details.
DM..

They are different birds. Mavic lands soft. P4 lands hard. My guess is the Phantom lands that way by design to avoid tipovers. The Mavic has a much lower center of gravity and the landing points are located under the props and rear of the body. The Phantom series has landing skids located toward the center of the bird. The center of gravity is higher. Therefore, the AC is prone to tip over on landing. So it comes down harder to reduce the amount of lateral movement and possibility that it will tip over. Incidentally, I never land my Phantom when it is windy. Hand catch... if there is no wind gentle touchdown is easy to accomplish manually. The Mavic, I almost always land unless the surface is sandy, muddy or there are obstacles in the landing area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21