DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

help shooting manually.

JoshuaCarlton

Reactions
Hello everyone!:) I noticed when I shoot video in auto I am getting a lot of noise even in decent light ( also getting a pulsing effect sometimes) I noticed today that even though there was plenty of light it was shooting at a very high shutter speed. I tried to set it manually by haveing the shutter speed double the frame rate and it was impossibly over overexposed. I ended up setting it as close to 60 as possible while still at least being able to see an image while recording. The footage although over exposed had no noise or pulsing. Is this something where an ND filter would help?

Also I just noticed when I tilt the gimbal I am getting a ton of noise while it's traveling up
or down. Then the noise goes away once the gimbal rests. This isn't normal right?

I think an ND filter would help in this situation since it would reduce the amount of light coming into the sensor. Since you cannot change the F-stop on the Mavic I feel it is almost essential to have ND filters due to the light levels outside. I suspect the pulsing you are referring to may have been the propellers casting a pulsing shadow on the camera in certain angles but hard to tell without a sample to look at.

My gimbal doesn't make a lot of noise when it moves, it makes some noise since it is a little motor moving it but not a "ton" as you say.

I think an ND filter would help in this situation since it would reduce the amount of light coming into the sensor. Since you cannot change the F-stop on the Mavic I feel it is almost essential to have ND filters due to the light levels outside. I suspect the pulsing you are referring to may have been the propellers casting a pulsing shadow on the camera in certain angles but hard to tell without a sample to look at.

My gimbal doesn't make a lot of noise when it moves, it makes some noise since it is a little motor moving it but not a "ton" as you say.
Thank you, I meant digital noise not audible. More like grain.

Thank you, I meant digital noise not audible. More like grain.
Yeah, that sounds like an issue I would raise with support, it does not seem normal and my images do not show any noise as the gimbal moves.

It's working perfect now, I am guessing it was maybe just shooting directly into the sun or something.

Upon further studying, it looks like it wasn't so much what I was calling noise but moire. The particular spot I was talking about where the gimbal was panning down and created a bunch of digital "noise" was nothing but trees and the gimbal was moving fast, so I am guessing the camera simply couldn't keep up. I just went back and re shot the location where I did a nice smooth slow reveal and it looks beautiful. Thanks for the help:)

Upon further studying, it looks like it wasn't so much what I was calling noise but moire. The particular spot I was talking about where the gimbal was panning down and created a bunch of digital "noise" was nothing but trees and the gimbal was moving fast, so I am guessing the camera simply couldn't keep up. I just went back and re shot the location where I did a nice smooth slow reveal and it looks beautiful. Thanks for the help:)
Yes I've noticed that same effect, and I think it is caused by the compression algorithm when panning/moving too fast.

Your noise is coming from the ISO being set too high. Unless you are shooting in very low light it needs to be 100-200 max and no higher than 800 when dim.

Also, the ND filter is almost essential, in all but the lowest light levels, to get the shutter speed down to a respectable level, as there is no aperture.

Reactions: JoshuaCarlton
Yes I've noticed that same effect, and I think it is caused by the compression algorithm when panning/moving too fast.

Your noise is coming from the ISO being set too high. Unless you are shooting in very low light it needs to be 100-200 max and no higher than 800 when dim.

Also, the ND filter is almost essential, in all but the lowest light levels, to get the shutter speed down to a respectable level, as there is no aperture.
That makes perfect sense, thanks!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S