DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hero4 Black vs Mavic (detail image quality)

gow7

Reactions
Hello,
I've decided to make a little comparison between my Hero4 Black and Mavic, and here are the results:

Hero4 Black FOV Analysis for detail image quality:

Resolution: 16:9

- 4K 30fps wide: as good as it gets, better quality

- 2K 30/60fps:
  • wide: not that good for detail
  • medium: much better quality in detail. Looks the same as 4K in wide

- FullHD:

30/60fps:
  • wide: not that good for detail as well
  • medium: better quality in detail
  • narrow: better than medium. Looks the same as 2K in medium
  • linear: didn’t notice much difference from medium

120fps
  • wide: worst quality of all
  • narrow: best setting for super slow. Just a tiny bit under the 30/60 narrow quality.

This link helped me understand why some FOV “zoom” preserved such quality.
Results: Hero4-composite.png

Mavic analysis for detail image quality:

Settings: Manual
Color: True Color
Style: -3/+0 +0 +0

C4K 24fps:
  • -3: very similar to a 4:3 still (not RAW, RAW is just perfect).
  • +0: I guess it has better quality than -3

- 4K:
  • 24fps / 30fps (both present the same level of quality)
  • -3 / +0: same analysis as in CK4. It looks like when using +0 we get more quality than -3 because in post I wasn’t able to reproduce the same sharpness/detail presented in +0. In other hand I was able to reduce sharpness in +0 ending up with a less sharp image while preserving detail/quality.

- 2K: Same as in 4K.

- FullHD :
  • 24fps / 30fps (both present the same level of quality)
  • 60fps (less quality comparing with 24/30)
  • 96fps (less quality comparing with 24/30. It seems to be a 60fps sharp version)
  • -3 / +0: for all frame rates, +0 seems to have better quality than -3.

Note: I was not capable of reproducing 100% the same sharpness level/quality between -3 and +0, so maybe using -2 or -1 would be better for situations where we want less sharp images. I believe it’s easier to get less sharpening in post (using gaussian blur) while preserving quality than the opposite. So perhaps using +0 is the best option and instead of adding sharpness we could remove it.

Results: Mavic-composite.png

Mavic vs. Hero 4 Black image detail quality:

Hero4 FOV: Wide 17.2mm, Medium 21.9mm, Narrow 34.4mm
Mavic FOV: 28mm

I’ll be comparing Mavic with Hero4 Narrow (when possible) for 30fps and 120fps.

4K:
  • Looks like Hero4 (wide) offers a quality similar to Mavic’s -3, maybe -2.
Mavic +0 wins.

2K:
  • Again, looks like Hero4 (medium) offers a quality similar to Mavic’s -3, maybe a -2.
Mavic +0 wins.

FHD:
  • 30fps: Hero4 (narrow) offers a quality similar to Mavic’s +0, maybe a little less sharp. Mavic’s -3 is the worst.
It’s a tie between Hero4 and Mavic’s +0.
  • 120 / 96fps: The same as 30fps, Hero4 (narrow) offers a quality similar to Mavic’s +0 where Mavic’s -3 is the worst.
It’s a tie between Hero4 and Mavic’s +0.
For FHD, those who like smoother images will choose Hero4.

Results: Final-composite.png

Conclusion:

This is my analysis, I’m not a photographer nor a designer, I don’t have skills for a perfect post production and maybe this analysis wasn’t conducted in a proper way and also without the best conditions.

I believe for detailed images with a smaller FOV Mavic wins but maybe you’ll have to choose the right settings and give it a little post production while Hero4 it’s more straight out of the box.

Super slow motion - I’m comparing frames, not short clips, so looking at just one frame I must say they are very similar.

So what do you think? :)

Reactions: motard
After a week of my Mavic Videos, my Hero4 went up for sale. In my opinion, The Mavic not only looks better, but I don't need to apply lens correction to correct the fish-eye look. The Hero is also not natively 4k stabilized.

The best part...I sold the Hero with a bunch of other junk, like extra batteries, a charger, some mounts and whatnot. I then spent that money plus $100 and bought the Sony FDR-X3000. Truly stabilized 4k in an action cam. Not quite Mavic level of stability but light years ahead of the GoPro.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronesforlife