DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hi From LA !

pilou

Reactions
Hi everyone,

I'm Pilou a french guy living in LA, I'm a proud owner of a Mavic since a few weeks and have been lurking this forum even before. You guys already answered A LOT of questions so thanks everyone !

I decided to learn flying drone in 2 different ways :
- the usual recommended way with a crappy "crash" drone
- with a Mavic, being super careful and only with low wind, open areas etc..

I read a lot of debates about it but I was just too impatient to get nice pictures from the sky and it drives my motivation to have such a nice peace of gear.

For now it worked fine, I haven't damaged my mavic and went through 2 small drones :

- the hubsan nano Q4 cam (a real piece of junk, wouldn't recommend to anyone, a prop engine unsoldered at the 3rd flight and impossible to recalibrate the guy so It's just taking the dust now)

- a bumble bee whoop pro Wich is pretty nice and sturdy, I got very comfy with it and started doing bold moves so I ended blocking a prop in some plants and now a prop engine is dead..

So I have shared feelings in either buying a replacement prop engine or just another one of those to have spares or maybe considering another one, what did you guys use to train yourself ?

Anyways, I find the community very interesting and this forum is already a great library of info !

Enjoy your flights.

Ps: let me know if it's against the rules to introduce yourself and ask a question in same post, I just didn't wanted to flood the forum right after subscribing.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)

what did you guys use to train yourself?
I learned to fly mine in a wide open area. That seems to be the best way to go since it limits the obstacles that one can crash into.

Reactions: BeefStew
Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)

I learned to fly mine in a wide open area. That seems to be the best way to go since it limits the obstacles that one can crash into.
Thanks msinger !

So you haven't used another kind of drone to train in small spaces and maneuvering ?

I'm not far from elisean park, it's an awesome place to train
cf9b18d6e60b55412064218cd5c74513.jpg

So you haven't used another kind of drone to train in small spaces and maneuvering?
I actually learned how to fly DJI drones by flying my first DJI drone (a Phantom 2 Vision+). All of DJI's consumer drones fly pretty much the same. So, it's easy to get started when a new model comes out.

Hey man

I live in Brusly! Had a couple P3s at first, yesterday got Mavic Pro.

No flying yet, taking it very slow also.

Holla
Brent

Thanks guys !

Using a few cheap drones is good way to be comfy with mode 2 as well imo
Hey man

I live in Brusly! Had a couple P3s at first, yesterday got Mavic Pro.

No flying yet, taking it very slow also.

Holla
Brent
Good luck for you, Louisiana is on my list of the places I want to visit, especially as a french guy haha

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

Hi everyone,

I'm Pilou a french guy living in LA, I'm a proud owner of a Mavic since a few weeks and have been lurking this forum even before. You guys already answered A LOT of questions so thanks everyone !

I read a lot of debates about it but I was just too impatient to get nice pictures from the sky and it drives my motivation to have such a nice peace of gear.

For now it worked fine, I haven't damaged my mavic and went through 2 small drones :

- the hubsan nano Q4 cam (a real piece of junk, wouldn't recommend to anyone, a prop engine unsoldered at the 3rd flight and impossible to recalibrate the guy so It's just taking the dust now)

- a bumble bee whoop pro Wich is pretty nice and sturdy, I got very comfy with it and started doing bold moves so I ended blocking a prop in some plants and now a prop engine is dead..

So I have shared feelings in either buying a replacement prop engine or just another one of those to have spares or maybe considering another one, what did you guys use to train yourself ?

Anyways, I find the community very interesting and this forum is already a great library of info !

Enjoy your flights.

Ps: let me know if it's against the rules to introduce yourself and ask a question in same post, I just didn't wanted to flood the forum right after subscribing.
Howdy from Wyoming pilou, welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

Hi everyone,

Enjoy your flights.

Doesn’t matter if you use crappy drones for practice or go straight to the mavic, can still crash, all about being mindful of the surroundings. just fly in open spaces after doing your pre flight checks and always keep it in view. I’ve had mine about 3 or 4 weeks so being super careful whilst building up the confidence :)

I’m from LA also! What are some of your favorite places to go fly? I’ve been trying to think of hidden gems to go fly my Mavic so I’d appreciate your input. Thanks.

Hello pilou, nice to meet u. I started with the Phantom 2, then to the Phantom 3, then Phantom 4, now I fly the MavicPro and the Platinum. I fly in the parks around me in philly. Or by the Delaware river.

Hi everyone,

Enjoy your flights.

I don’t know my friend. I’m new too. I lost two drones, cheap ones learning to drone.itwas a yr before I tried again. I decided that if u want a drone that will listen to you, then u have to have a decent drone. I got a refurbished bebop2. I thought if it flew away at least I hadn’t lost 500. Well it was a great little drone. But that only made me hungry for a GOOD one. Got the Mavic Pro. Refurbished again, but it has been wonderful. So I think learning on cheap drones, is a bad idea. It makes u paranoid and timid. It has taken me three yrs to get a Mavic and I’m still afraid to let it out of my sight. I should start with a good one. But I thought your experience sounded familiar. Good to hear from u

Hi everyone,

Enjoy your flights.

Welcome. I live in Maurepas which is about 42 miles southeast of baton rouge. I received my mavic for my birthday about 2 months ago. Love this little thing. Have pretty much flown every day since getting it. I do have a gimble twitch while recording in 4k at the 9 minute mark. Doesn't happen every time but when it does it looks like the bird is falling out of the sky.

the camera just tilts up and then twitches for about 15 seconds. its appears, on the FPV, that the drone is falling out of the sky. I never said it fell out of the sky. Only looks like it is.

Hey guys,

Thanks you all for your answer, this forum is really great.

DePilot : for now I've been researching on internet and don't have a gem of a spot. Elysean park gives you a WONDERFUL view of LA and the LA Mountains (up north) are a great place to be alone, legal and with plenty of space to play. I'd be glad to meet up someday and explore with you !

Zorr0 : yes in the end flying a mavic is another and incomparable experience. I think I'll stick to the advice of everyone to be careful and won't invest in new "crash drones" since I'm starting to have a good reaction with mode 2. I also have a mini heart attack everytime I lose sight on the baby but I just do it over the forest for now..
I also met a guy letting his kids flying his mavic in FPV only and he wasn't worried so it relaxed my worries a bit.

CZ-SP01: interesting, there's a town called Maurepas 40 miles south from Paris too! Never had that kind of issue tho. Maybe a complete recalibration with dji assist could help ?

A few questions on my side :

Did you guys had any issues with the proximity sensor ? Sometimes it triggers while super high in the air (there's nothing in front) so I gets me wondering.

I'm also wondering about flying in cold temperature, just asked a question about it in the "mods" section, if anyone have any recommendations I'll take it !

Thanks again guys, let's stay high and make beautiful shots !

Did you guys had any issues with the proximity sensor ? Sometimes it triggers while super high in the air (there's nothing in front) so I gets me wondering.
The sun can sometimes trigger the front sensors when it's shining directly into them. You can disable obstacle avoidance mid-flight to work around that issue.

I'm also wondering about flying in cold temperature
Check out these articles for some tips on cold weather flying:

The sun can sometimes trigger the front sensors when it's shining directly into them. You can disable obstacle avoidance mid-flight to work around that issue.

Check out these articles for some tips on cold weather flying:
Thank's msinger ! Those links are pretty interesting indeed.

So I guess I should expect all those comments to apply to the mavic ? My main concern is to know if the Mavic in flight will drain enough power to keep the battery warm, that's the only thing I haven't confirmed yet (but it seems to apply to the inspire and phantom).

Guess my hand warmers will be useful pre-flight and on the phone !

Reactions: shoemaker
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canuckdive