DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

High voltage powerlines and radio signal

Annevanzwol

Reactions
new mavic pro owner here. If there is a high voltage powerline between my controller and the mavic will the radio signal be blocked? Assuming the distance of both to the powerline is more than 500 meters. In other words will the powerlines act as a wall to the signal?

new mavic pro owner here. If there is a high voltage powerline between my controller and the mavic will the radio signal be blocked? Assuming the distance of both to the powerline is more than 500 meters. In other words will the powerlines act as a wall to the signal?
I have flown over powerlines ~1500 feet from me and taken the drone out to ~10k feet... It does have an effect but I don't think you have much to worry about =)

I fly by high voltage lines (the really big ones) all the time and never had an issue. I ahve flown above them, near them and had my signal have to go through them and it didnt effect my range at all. I am sure if you got the drone really close to the lines it would cause interference but you shouldnt be doing that anyways lol.

I am sure if you got the drone really close to the lines it would cause interference

It may cause radio interference to fly close to a power line, but it WILL cause MASSIVE compass interference. Current through a wire creates a magnetic field, and the two compasses will sense this and may get confused about how the aircraft appears to be spinning, trying to counteract the non-existent spin, which puts the aircraft into a real spin, ... and so on.

The higher the current, the worse the problem. My area is covered with huge high-tension regional power lines on 75-150 meter tall pylons. I often have to plan my flights to remain at least 50 meters away from all of them.

Reactions: Darrin
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78