DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

High Wind Still Photography

This may be a silly question....but I don't know the answer so I'll ask and appreciate your knowledge. I purchased the M2Z because I live on one of the family country ranches to scout for ferrel hogs and erradicate them with sniper rifle. The sidebar to that has become filming other wildlife because I can zoom to 96mm from far enough away that they never know eyes in the sky. Q: Photo goes to 48mm zoom....which often brings drone too close to critters and scares them away. Video 1080p 30fps 96mm easily let's me get the shot. In editor....can I pull single frames or multiple frames of video and end up with high quality still?
The Mavic 2 Zoom has an adjustable optical zoom from 24-48mm. It additionally can digitally zoom in lower resolution video 1080p forsure, 2.7? I’m not sure maybe, not 4K.

Photos are the highest resolution it can record in so if you want to digitally zoom in post then you are better off taking a picture and then cropping it to get the best quality image zoomed in.

To answer your question yes you can export a frame from video like you are asking to make it into a still but it’s much much easier to just crop a photo to your desired size(which is all the mavic is doing with digital zoom in video) and you will also have a much much higher resolution. Don’t get that too often where easier way is the higher quality way. This is a no brainer

Reactions: ScottM2Zoom1
I would shoot RAW, then adjust one image too the 3 exposures you would need for HDR image. If you have fast enough shutter speed to stop action, then no blue from movement in the image.

I shoot 4K video on my Mavic Pro with NO ND filters. Usually at 1/1000 on sunny days. I then look at video on my Dell laptop in Windows Photos and pause the video and hit PRT. SCRN. (Print screen) which places the image on the clipboard. Then I paste it into Photoshop and have sharp, clear stills, better looking than jpegs taken with Mavic.

Windows photos has basic editor that allows trimming, shot arrangement, titles and free stock music. When I tried editing video in Da Vinci, the Dell with 12GB RAM, couldn’t handle it, even though Windows Photo editor could.

This ia an HDR Panorama done above my house and neighborhood in South Florida. The resolution has been reduced for file size demands of this discussion. If you use Photoshop, here is the best tutorial for learning this technique ;

So I took three images - with about a 30-40% overlap. Instructions are in the video.

Attachments

• HDR-Drone-Panorama.jpg
    HDR-Drone-Panorama.jpg
    894.4 KB · Views: 5
If you are all interested in a great video regarding using Camera Raw in Photoshop to create beautiful HDR panoramas, and HDR drone panoramas, watch this video. This image was create from three separate HDR images which were created from 9 images. I took three images to the right, moved with a 30% overlap of images, took the 2nd three shots (HDR), and then moved the drone to the left (again with a 30% overlap and HDT exposures. The final images was assembled inside of Adobe Camera Raw in Adobe Bridge. Watch the 15 minute video here.
I took this above my house.

Dale
Miami

Reactions: Smokieflies
If you are all interested in a great video regarding using Camera Raw in Photoshop to create beautiful HDR panoramas, and HDR drone panoramas, watch this video. This image was create from three separate HDR images which were created from 9 images. I took three images to the right, moved with a 30% overlap of images, took the 2nd three shots (HDR), and then moved the drone to the left (again with a 30% overlap and HDT exposures. The final images was assembled inside of Adobe Camera Raw in Adobe Bridge. Watch the 15 minute video here.
I took this above my house.

Dale
Miami

View attachment 74236
Hey dale nice photo! You know that video is a little outdated though. Adobe has made this previously time and organizational intensive process into a single click. The process is the same but instead of doing multiple HDRs and merging then you can now simply select all photos and hit “HDR panorama” in camera RAW and it will do the whole process autonomously

Hey dale nice photo! You know that video is a little outdated though. Adobe has made this previously time and organizational intensive process into a single click. The process is the same but instead of doing multiple HDRs and merging then you can now simply select all photos and hit “HDR panorama” in camera RAW and it will do the whole process autonomously

Thanks for the tip. Does this also work in Photoshop CC 2019. (e.g.: HDR panorama). In other words, take all images into Adobe Camera Raw, selectable, right click>hit merge to HDR panorama? [email protected]

Reactions: brett8883
Thanks for the tip. Does this also work in Photoshop CC 2019. (e.g.: HDR panorama). In other words, take all images into Adobe Camera Raw, selectable, right click>hit merge to HDR panorama? [email protected]
YES! On the left hand side of camera raw select all the photos and hit the the lines button at the top to get the merge options

Great! Thanks for the tip. Cannot wait to try this. It was certainly a lot more time intensive doing only three bracketed images at a time. In my Mavic Air, I can only bracket (AEB) 0.7 f/stop. Even if I take 5 images for each burst. How do you solve that?
[email protected]

Reactions: brett8883
Great! Thanks for the tip. Cannot wait to try this. It was certainly a lot more time intensive doing only three bracketed images at a time. In my Mavic Air, I can only bracket (AEB) 0.7 f/stop. Even if I take 5 images for each burst. How do you solve that?
[email protected]

What I do is take the 5 bracketed shots and delete the 2nd and 4th photo from the series so you get -1.4, 0, 1.4.

You could also manually take three different shots and adjust each exposure manually but keep in mind to do the HDR pano process the Exposure Values have to follow a consistent pattern. So every sequence has to be for instance 0,-1,+1 or just so the pattern is consistent, otherwise camera raw can’t identify the brackets and won’t be able to merge as HDR pano.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure