DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Horizontal Camera PANNING! This changes everything.

flybug

Reactions
Now this may change everything for me or perhaps for everyone...

Can someone confirm for me if horizontal camera panning (that you can control) was on previous drones???

I just saw today that I could hold press the screen on my Mavic 2 pro and pan the camera from side to side during flight (and when not flying).

I know the camera would automatically pan horizontally during yawing on previous drones and such but this is the first time me seeing that I could make pan the camera horizontally with my finger on the screen. It basically does this Osmo like movements when you press and hold on the screen while moving around the screen.

Maybe this has always been there and I didn't realize it. Can someone clue me in?

Can someone confirm for me if horizontal camera panning (that you can control) was on previous drones???

Not possible on my MP with latest firmware. Never was.
(When 'Enable Synchronized Gimbal Pan Follow' is checked there is a very small movement when yawing)

The gimbal can pan several degrees each direction when using goggles with head tracking turned on.

I’ve never noticed any other method that allows for this.

Can you post a video?

Now this may change everything for me or perhaps for everyone...

I just saw today that I could hold press the screen on my Mavic 2 pro and pan the camera from side to side during flight (and when not flying).

I know the camera would automatically pan horizontally during yawing on previous drones and such but this is the first time me seeing that I could make pan the camera horizontally with my finger on the screen. It basically does this Osmo like movements when you press and hold on the screen while moving around the screen.

Maybe this has always been there and I didn't realize it. Can someone clue me in?
That small bit of panning you see is actually a yaw buffer, to smooth out the movement of the camera as the craft begins to yaw. I had the same thing on my Phantom 2.

Reactions: Bunny Too
Not sure why gimbal planning is such a breakthrough. Why not just yaw the aircraft?

Because it opens up more creative options. See Inspire with 360 degree gimbal. You can be flying in one direction but control the camera separately. That's dope. Mavic 2 pro camera can't do a 360 but it can do a decent horizontal pan.

The gimbal can pan several degrees each direction when using goggles with head tracking turned on.

I’ve never noticed any other method that allows for this.

Can you post a video?

Sure... First part I have Mavic 2 Pro stationary. Only camera is moving by me hard pressing on phone display. Second part I am moving the drone with my right hand and using left thumb to press and move around camera using phone display. Now obviously one has to be careful to not pan to far left or right or you will see the drone's legs but it still has a decent pan you can do without seeing the legs. I love it!

View media item 2222

It's always been there, just a small buffer of a couple of degrees to allow gimbal smoothing.

It's always been there, just a small buffer of a couple of degrees to allow gimbal smoothing.
Did you see the video above? Are you able to do that with your Mavic Pro with just moving your finger around on the screen. First part of video Mavic 2 not even moving, I'm doing all that just by moving the camera with my finger on the screen.

Your video link doesn't work, says I don't have permission. I can't check my camera right now because I sent my Mavic in to get the ribbon replaced.

Again: horizontal panning like on the Mavic 2 is not possible with the Mavic Pro.
You posted on the Mavic Pro subforum. Perhaps try to ask in other fora if you want to know for other drones?

Your video link doesn't work, says I don't have permission. I can't check my camera right now because I sent my Mavic in to get the ribbon replaced.
So does a video thumbnail show up for you in my post above?

Again: horizontal panning like on the Mavic 2 is not possible with the Mavic Pro.
You posted on the Mavic Pro subforum. Perhaps try to ask in other fora if you want to know for other drones?

I had a Mavic Pro but sold it so couldn't test on it. Not sure how this post ended up here. Maybe I put it here by accident or someone moved it here.

So does a video thumbnail show up for you in my post above?

We can see the link but I get this error code:

DJI Mavic Drone Forum - Error
You do not have permission to view media within this album.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElNancio