DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Horizontal Video Taking of People ?

gzamir

Reactions
We want to take video of people using rope access on a building inspection .What is the legal distance allowed ? Thanks
Thanks

30M or 15m if licenced - all depends on country....

you can edit 4K video later of closeups.

We want to take video of people using rope access on a building inspection .What is the legal distance allowed ? Thanks
Thanks

The FAA does not give a "hard distance" from people. They allow us to fly in a way to hang ourselves... basically if something goes wrong and your aircraft impacts a person you were too close.

The flight will be in CT . Were can I find the literature to backup your Answer . Thanks

Remember it's an international forum, CT I can find ok so you need to fly to US FAA legislation . . .
I assume you are hobbyist ?

Rules are a lot more vague than those here in Australia, or the UK, that's for sure.
This will probably change as the new legislation is thought through and put in place.

Reactions: Phill and BigAl07
30M or 15m if licenced - all depends on country....

you can edit 4K video later of closeups.
The flight will be in CT . Were can I find the literature to backup your Answer . Thanks

That's not FAA/(United States) regulations. First clue should be that it's noted in Meters and we use Feet.

The link in my post above is a summary of FAA Part 107 Regulations and if you want the long version the PDF (It's hundreds of pages long) is available online.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Filming a Building Inspection is going to fall under Part 107 regulations :)
If the OP was going to film it just for their own enjoyment as a hobbyist and received no type of compensation would it still fall under Part 107 ?

If the OP was going to film it just for their own enjoyment as a hobbyist and received no type of compensation would it still fall under Part 107 ?

As I understand it, that would be ok with rules followed, as long as the footage was not used by that particular building inspection company in any sort of commercial form, even if given to the company free of charge.

I believe if you shoot something as a hobbyist, and it's used LATER in some sort of commercial form, it's ok ?
If so, how long is probably open to a reasonable timespan . . . sort of like privacy laws and how they are not able to have 'a line drawn in sand' as to how each case can be interpreted.

If ALL of the above were 100% true then yes... that would fall under Hobby. I don't know many people that "hobby" film a building inspection that in no way benefits a business. I'm not saying it's impossible but it seems very unlikely.

Just keep in mind that COMPENSATION is but one variable that pierces and eliminates the bubble of protection for Hobby operations. Once the bubble is popped it's a goner ! ! !

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joel_du05