DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hot Phone (Galaxy S7)

Gringorio

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Hey ya'll,

Tonight I was upgrading the firmware for the Mavic and the controller. After that I attached the Galaxy S7 to the controller to make some more changes to the gimbal etc.. During this time, about one hour, the phone became really hot. Not warm, but hot.

Did I do something wrong or do I need to consider using a different smart device with the Mavic controller?

Thanks!

Well, theoretically the Samsung Galaxy S7 is not under a product recall, but yours is acting like a Samsung Galaxy Note 7, which is known to burst into flames!

Seriously though, graphically intensive applications push these little tablets and phones to the limit, and can drain battery or get warm or both.

Remember your fire safety around lithium batteries. If it's too hot to touch, stop using that device. If it feels like the battery might be swelling at all, stop using that device. (Large naked hobby batteries can puff up a little bit but anything with a rigid casing around it should NOT strain at the rigid casing at all.) If it catches fire, dunk it in a bucket of water or a kitchen sink and move away all other flammable objects. Water won't douse the chemical fire but it will constrain its damaging effect and deactivate the lithium.

Likely it's the phone running the GPS , 4g and other sensors complex with the fact it may be trying to charge from the controller as mine does. all these things generate heat and the phone will get quite warm.

Unless it's really hot I wouldn't even worry. there haven't been any major issues with these phones and mine has done this on multiple occasions when running a few things at once

Thanks everyone,

I think you're right - it was getting hot while doing all the updates and that worried me. But today, I had 4 maiden flights and the phone did just fine. Whew!

So did the the Mavic. 63 mph in sport mode (2-3 mph tail wind). Nice and docile in GPS mode after toning down the gains. I just need to remember to tap to focus. Doh!

Did you experience any crashes or restarts of either the all app, or your SG-7? I'm about to get a new smart phone and would love an SG-7 as opposed to an iPhone...if it works.

Did you experience any crashes or restarts of either the all app, or your SG-7? I'm about to get a new smart phone and would love an SG-7 as opposed to an iPhone...if it works.

My phone never crashed and it has not been hot, but warm for the first 6 flights I've done. I think the phone got really hot because it was connected for over an hour during all the updates etc.

I will continue to use my Galaxy S7 until I receive a tablet next week. Seems safe enough but i hope the tablet can better handle the djigo and litchi apps...

Hey ya'll,

Tonight I was upgrading the firmware for the Mavic and the controller. After that I attached the Galaxy S7 to the controller to make some more changes to the gimbal etc.. During this time, about one hour, the phone became really hot. Not warm, but hot.

Did I do something wrong or do I need to consider using a different smart device with the Mavic controller?

Thanks!

Yes, but not in upgrading firmware .... Samsung has history of battery overheating!

My first few tentative flights with my mavic. Using a HTC one m8 and it got very hot. Landed, ten minutes later the phone died. now have one great drone and one brick.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zantuna