DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How can I get a good enough Gps signal on my mini4 to use follow me?

JoKhool

Reactions
Anyone have any clue on how or what to use so that I will get a true gps signal on my mini4 so that I will be able to set my device as the home point (aka dynamic home point) or even use follow me mode.

Do you have the cellular version.

No I don't. I always see people making a point to ask this but does it really matter. I usually fly with my 7plus, full signal, location on... and still not able to use this feature. It always gives me the option but when I select it it says gps signal too weak. So I don't understand.

No I don't. I always see people making a point to ask this but does it really matter. I usually fly with my 7plus, full signal, location on... and still not able to use this feature. It always gives me the option but when I select it it says gps signal too weak. So I don't understand.
Yes, in order to use follow me mode you have to have the cellular version because it has a GPS receiver in it. I don't know what the issue is with the 7plus but I do know it wont work with the mini 4 unless its the cellular version.

Yeah never once have I been able to activate follow me with my 7plus. So I guess my other option would be to get a Bluetooth gps and fly with that connected to my mini?

Why not use Active Track instead, works well
In my opinion, yes active track is an incredible IFM but it has its limitations. Sure, it works well but... because the subject need to be see at all times in order for it to work properly, it also has trouble following a subject through a shadow sometimes due to the sudden drastic change in contrast. so yes if you are flying at a low altitude and getting your footage that way then yes active track is a great function. Being able to use real time GPS in flight adds to the flight capabilities of the Mavic. It allows you to update the home point mid flight (dynamic home point) which is useful if you are recording from a moving platform or if you decide to move to a different location mid flight you RTH will be set to your current location instead of the take off position as. Also with follow me the drone doesn't have to have a clear shot of the subject, for instance say that you are filming from above and pass under a large grove of taller trees... with active track the drone would lose the subject and either hover or act crazy as it loses it CPU trying to regain an image of the subject whereas with Follow ME its following a GPS signal instead.

Last edited:
I use a Wireless Universal GPS Receiver - Axxera. (XGPS150E)
Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

It works flawlessly with both Android and iOS devices. It is specifically marketed as being ideal for Wi-Fi Only Ipad Models.... I have mine attached to my rucksack and use it, when I am using either my Epson Moverio Glasses, or my Ipad Mini - (both wifi only)

Why are you unable to get a strong GPS signal on your iPhone?

Not a clue. I use it all the time when not connected to the Rc. Maybe it has to do with the fact that Its pinned between the arms or the Rc during flight and hats somehow blocking or interfering with the gps signal. I vaguely remember hearing about that somewhere but don't know if it's true or not. Either way, I bought the mini 4 with all intentions of using it as my primary flight device.

If you got it at the Apple Store, they will replace it very quickly as long as it's within 30 days of purchase.

I did the same thing. Before replacing it, I double checked with one of the genius's, and they said, "Yes, the Wifi only version has GPS, but it's the type that locates using nearby Wifi hotspots". So there's a bit of a terminology thing going on.

It's not a fatal flaw, but I really wanted to have two GPS receivers going, to reduce possible problems later.

Not a clue. I use it all the time when not connected to the Rc. Maybe it has to do with the fact that Its pinned between the arms or the Rc during flight and hats somehow blocking or interfering with the gps signal. I vaguely remember hearing about that somewhere but don't know if it's true or not. Either way, I bought the mini 4 with all intentions of using it as my primary flight device.

For iPhone, go to -> Settings -> Privacy -> Location Services (ON) -> DJI GO 4 -> While Using the App

Location Services.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsplum