DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do Apple keep their image ?

Storyline

Reactions
I knew both Apple and Samsung have both admitted deliberately slowing down older smartphones by releasing firmware updates that effectively cripple them. Nobody believed their excuses that it was to put a reduced load on the battery.

However what I did not know is that Apple have admitted doing the same thing with their Mac desktops. As these are mains powered they have nowhere to hide.

It is not the first time that Apple has been caught acting unethically such as the secret tracking system they used. So you would think people who owned these devices would be very pi$$ed off and decide never to buy another one. You would also think that the damage to their reputation would be enormous and yet it seems like water off a duck's back.

I realise both Apple & Samsung make good quality hardware but they also charge a lot for it so that just leaves the perception that it is cool to own their kit. So how does this cool image survive - do their customers not know about all this or they just don't care ?

Very strange.

Apple has a cult following and most Apple users just want to turn the key and be able to drive. They are easily lead and manipulated. Shockingly the vast majority of smart phone users really dont use 90 + percent of what the smart phone is capable of. They also dont care too much about whats under the hood or how much customization that can be achieved.

I talk to people about Flashing a new Firmware to thier Android device or jailbreaking thier iOS device and I can witness thier eyes glazing over.

Reactions: Former Member
So how does this cool image survive - do their customers not know about all this or they just don't care ?
Most of the people care about the new products and not the old ones. Also we are not sure if only samsung and apple are doing negative firmware updates. And also people always thought phones eventually slows down over time.

@ BDOG Yes, there is something in that. I remember when Windows went through a time with a less than perfectly stable o/s and people started to refer to the Blue Screen of Death - maybe it was just before XP. Anyway at that time the Apple pc just worked all the time iirc.

Now things have reversed in a way. Windows 7 & 10 seem to me to never crash but my BIL who is a graphic designer regularly complains about problems with software updates he needs not working properly on some of his Apple machines.

Also we are not sure if only samsung and apple are doing negative firmware updates.
To some extent all the phone makers are as bad as each other. I don't want to knock Apple all the time but I remember being disgusted when they launched the i-pod with a battery you could not replace. Then they did it with phones. There was a short rebellion by their users but now, several years later, everyone does it and after a few years your device is near useless because of the battery.

Blue Screen's of Death were most commonly experienced when installing Windows NT as that operating system had a specific list of hardware that was compatible and if one tried to install any piece of hardware that did not have a specific Windows NT compatible driver developed and approved by Microsoft BOOM! Blue screen of death immediately !
NT is an ultra stable operating system as it was developed for Corporate Networked systems that were PC based. The way it remained so stable is that the drivers had to be approved and tested by Microsoft and be "bulletproof". 10 years IT support in my past.

To some extent all the phone makers are as bad as each other. I don't want to knock Apple all the time but I remember being disgusted when they launched the i-pod with a battery you could not replace. Then they did it with phones. There was a short rebellion by their users but now, several years later, everyone does it and after a few years your device is near useless because of the battery.
Actually after a while there were batteries developed to allow replacement (Chinese manufactured) , but one had to crack open thier phone and void thier warranty.

I never have liked the control that Apple impose on the use of their products and therefore h a ve never used one.

I knew both Apple and Samsung have both admitted deliberately slowing down older smartphones by releasing firmware updates that effectively cripple them. Nobody believed their excuses that it was to put a reduced load on the battery.

However what I did not know is that Apple have admitted doing the same thing with their Mac desktops. As these are mains powered they have nowhere to hide.

It is not the first time that Apple has been caught acting unethically such as the secret tracking system they used. So you would think people who owned these devices would be very pi$$ed off and decide never to buy another one. You would also think that the damage to their reputation would be enormous and yet it seems like water off a duck's back.

I realise both Apple & Samsung make good quality hardware but they also charge a lot for it so that just leaves the perception that it is cool to own their kit. So how does this cool image survive - do their customers not know about all this or they just don't care ?

Very strange.

Storyline,

As someone that uses both Macs and PC's for work and pleasure and someone that has built my own PCs; I am very interested in more information on what Apple might have done to intentionally degrade the performance of Mac desktops.

Can you please provide a link that shows that Apple has admitted to slowing down Mac desktops. I would be very interested in following up on this information for our IT department.

Thank you...

Reactions: dawgpilot
Storyline,

As someone that uses both Macs and PC's for work and pleasure and someone that has built my own PCs; I am very interested in more information on what Apple might have done to intentionally degrade the performance of Mac desktops.

Can you please provide a link that shows that Apple has admitted to slowing down Mac desktops. I would be very interested in following up on this information for our IT department.

Thank you...
Hi - I am not sure where you are located but the new (to me) info on the desktops was mentioned on a business radio programme this morning in the UK. It is called 'Wake up to Money" and it was on from 05:15 - 06:00 on BBC R5. You can replay the programme using the BBC I-player but I am not sure if it will work in every country.

EDIT: What will be useful for you is that the huge fine levied on Apple by the EU is not the only penalty. They also have to publish full details of the enquiry and it's findings. I am not certain if that is just on their own website or if they have to advertise it more widely. The journalist who broadcast the item said that the fine, although huge, would mean nothing to them but it is this public admission of guilt which is much more serious. He did not give any indication of timings but it is worth looking on their website imo.

Last edited:
Hi - I am not sure where you are located but the new (to me) info on the desktops was mentioned on a business radio programme this morning in the UK. It is called 'Wake up to Money" and it was on from 05:15 - 06:00 on BBC R5. You can replay the programme using the BBC I-player but I am not sure if it will work in every country.

EDIT: What will be useful for you is that the huge fine levied on Apple by the EU is not the only penalty. They also have to publish full details of the enquiry and it's findings. I am not certain if that is just on their own website or if they have to advertise it more widely. The journalist who broadcast the item said that the fine, although huge, would mean nothing to them but it is this public admission of guilt which is much more serious. He did not give any indication of timings but it is worth looking on their website imo.

Storyline,

Thanks for the additional information. I found a link... Do you by chance remember what date that you heard the report?

BBC Radio 5 live - Wake Up to Money - Available now

If you don't object you might add your location to your sidebar information.... :)

Good Flying

Last edited:
Storyline,

Thank you...
All I can think of, and it is well known is the need to hack the bios in the older MAC pros to allow the later operating systems to install. That felt like a dirty trick for those of us running 12 core xenon CPU with fast graphics, SSD and heaps of ram. Our older machines have a lot of life left, in many instances faster than the currents models.

There is another issue where the later OS required metal enabled GPU. That has locked out quite a few older machines.

LOL! Funny thread.
When things get old they dont work like the latest faster technology, so the first thing people holding 5 year old tech do is try to blame someone for making their tech slower.
The whole thing is like the people that argue over Ford VS Chevrolet.
Apple is no better or worse than Microsoft or the wildly unpredictable Android.
People buy what works for them, and what features they LIKE.
There has NEVER been an apple portable device that you couldnt change a battery in. And you have NEVER had to "crack it open" to do it. LOL! That is just a person the misses the cheap plastic back cover that pops on and off talking smack.

LOL! Funny thread.
When things get old they dont work like the latest faster technology, so the first thing people holding 5 year old tech do is try to blame someone for making their tech slower.
The whole thing is like the people that argue over Ford VS Chevrolet.
Apple is no better or worse than Microsoft or the wildly unpredictable Android.
People buy what works for them, and what features they LIKE.
There has NEVER been an apple portable device that you couldnt change a battery in. And you have NEVER had to "crack it open" to do it. LOL! That is just a person the misses the cheap plastic back cover that pops on and off talking smack.
You have always been able to change batteries- yes... A difficult enough task to discourage many but simple with the right tools.

I disagree with your old tech comment. With respect to the Mac Pro Apple simply put a hardware identification routine in the OS installer. My old Mac Pro pulls the pants down on almost all the current models and I am free to upgrade the hardware, not limited to what I paid for at the checkout. When I am forced to upgrade (won’t be any time soon) I will go the hackintosh route. The current pricing and limited hardware upgrade options makes it a joke.

Storyline,

Thanks for the additional information. I found a link... Do you by chance remember what date that you heard the report?

BBC Radio 5 live - Wake Up to Money - Available now

If you don't object you might add your location to your sidebar information.... :)

Good Flying
Sorry for delayed reply but I have not been on the forum for a few days.

The date of the report was Friday 26th October. I subsequently heard references to it throughout that day on news bulletins. It was because the findings of an investigation into Apple were released that morning. I do not know the details but it was on behalf of the EU and I seem to remember that Italy had a connection to it.

@ BDOG Yes, there is something in that. I remember when Windows went through a time with a less than perfectly stable o/s and people started to refer to the Blue Screen of Death - maybe it was just before XP. Anyway at that time the Apple pc just worked all the time iirc.

Now things have reversed in a way. Windows 7 & 10 seem to me to never crash but my BIL who is a graphic designer regularly complains about problems with software updates he needs not working properly on some of his Apple machines.
Weird because I have a macpro with mojave installed and never crash or have issues. Matter of fact, I installed os x mojave when it was in beta and never give me issues. My macpro is 8 years old and still powerful as always.

Weird because I have a macpro with mojave installed and never crash or have issues. Matter of fact, I installed os x mojave when it was in beta and never give me issues. My macpro is 8 years old and still powerful as always.
You must have a 2010 Mac Pro then (with metal capable graphics card). MacBooks and iMacs earlier than 2012 don’t make the cut...

The older Mac pro’s are awesome. 12 core xenon goes like the clappers. I worked out would need to spend 20k Aussie to spec an iMac pro to the same spec as the old rig. The prices are silly..

You must have a 2010 Mac Pro then (with metal capable graphics card). MacBooks and iMacs earlier than 2012 don’t make the cut...

The older Mac pro’s are awesome. 12 core xenon goes like the clappers. I worked out would need to spend 20k Aussie to spec an iMac pro to the same spec as the old rig. The prices are silly..
This macpro I have is like a PC... I upgraded the CPU, the video card and the memory... I still planning in getting a more powerful video card in the future. I love this beast of machine!

This macpro I have is like a PC... I upgraded the CPU, the video card and the memory... I still planning in getting a more powerful video card in the future. I love this beast of machine!
Yes Mate- that’s it- the cheese grater..... Beast... still plenty running in the pro audio and video space.. I have my eye on a second one for a spare.

Last edited:
Reactions: macoman
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard