DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How I hand catch the Mavic without fighting sensors on...

The Real Heavy Metal

Reactions
After my Mavic almost committed suicide by fighting it's way out of my grasp indoors and almost going into the bigger prop of a ceiling fan I figured out a better way for me to catch it if done properly. I doesn't fight and I don't have to turn off sensors. If nothing else you'll see why I picked the name rough and wretched for the band. Based entirely on my looks. Lol.... If you are interested have a gander.

Holy friggin MegaDeath, why are there so many difficult 'hand catching' vids?...
All you have to do is bring it down to eye level, encase the left leg with your thumb and two fingers and the your other thumb shuts it down using just the left lever...(if right handed)
That way you are nowhere near the sensors and only one prop.

Last edited:
Easiest and quickest way? Grab drone from underneath, turn drone on its side. Motors will instantly cut out.

I usually hand catch with palm up, grip both sides and continue to throttle down. If you don't have a child-like grip, there's no danger.

Simply switch off Landing Protection in the app and it won't fight you anymore. You can just hover it at a convenient height and simply grab it, or even land it on a flat hand, hold it in pace for a second or two while shutting down the motors by keeping the left stick down.

I normally dont hand catch but when I do I have no problems as I use the method described by Lake_Flyer. In response #5. Then again I have large strong hands and even without turning any sensors off I've never had problems.

I normally dont hand catch but when I do I have no problems as I use the method described by Lake_Flyer. In response #5. Then again I have large strong hands and even without turning any sensors off I've never had problems.
It's not a problem if you know what is going on. Just grab, pinch and hold tight. But it can scare the xxx out of a firsttimer, understandably.

I just have landing protection turned off and lower the drone on to my outstretched hand. Then turn off the motors by holding down the left stick and only then holding on to the drone.

Hand catch and turn the Mavic upside down, motors stop instantly, no need to do anything with controller.

I fly with the landing sensors off so hand catching is not much of an issue for me. One thing I don't like doing is hand catching at eye level. If something goes wrong for any reason your eyes are the first thing the props will hit. I like to bring the drone as low as possible while still being able to get my hand underneath to grab it.

I fly with the landing sensors off so hand catching is not much of an issue for me. One thing I don't like doing is hand catching at eye level. If something goes wrong for any reason your eyes are the first thing the props will hit. I like to bring the drone as low as possible while still being able to get my hand underneath to grab it.

I just raise my hand above my head, and grip from the bottom while covering the downward sensors (on or off). I hold throttle down as I bring the Mavic down to a more comfortable height - by the time I've done that, the motors have stopped.

After my Mavic almost committed suicide by fighting it's way out of my grasp indoors and almost going into the bigger prop of a ceiling fan I figured out a better way for me to catch it if done properly. I doesn't fight and I don't have to turn off sensors. If nothing else you'll see why I picked the name rough and wretched for the band. Based entirely on my looks. Lol.... If you are interested have a gander.

Wow!! That’s awesome! Thanks!

No rear sensors, turn the Mavic away from you and grab it, power down

If I'm hand catching I'll wear my sunglasses if I have them just for extra protection. Sometimes I'll wear a glove too.

I believe when u shift into sport mode it turns off the sensors,that makes it real easy.
Sport mode turns off the forward sensors only. The downward sensors are not affected.

Lol. Wasn't planning on starting the hand grab debate. I know how other folks do it cause there are 50 videos or more of people hand catching and demonstrating every method above except the one I describe. taking the time necessary to shut off sensors or the quick grab. I've tried them all. I opted to learn the quick grab method because turning off sensors takes time and attention off of the drone. Then I screwed up the grab in a terrible location. Yes it was my mistake but it is a mistake that can happen to anyone as could a hand placed to far back getting clipped by the props or too far forward and high again getting clipped by the props.

I'm not a drone master. Other than maybe 10 hours with a cheap 60 dollar viper the Mavic pro is my first and I've had it around a month now. What I can say about the method I figured out and now use to hand catch has never failed first attempt. I have ordered a helipad but it wont be here until middle of May so every single flight has been hand launched and hand caught. I've done one catch with by turning sensors off that I didn't like for the above mentioned reasons about 20 catches using the center grab method with one almost catastrophic screw up. And the rest of the 70 flights using the method I demonstrate. Never had a fight or an issue. Because it's spring here, my launch land areas are usually from the road. as such my launches have to be quick and my landings have to be quick and precise. My method works flawless every single time.

I' m an ******* and a rebel. I'm also from Canada with a wealth of laws based in protectionism but sold to the public as paranoia that makes flying a drone almost impossible. Being an ******* an a rebel I will fly where and when I please safely but at the same time I'm not trying to attract the law. In Canada flying over a road is a no no I'm guessing taking off and landing from one is also illegal. You can't fly anywhere near someone else's vehicle so I need to be able to get it up and down between vehicles quick with no one knowing and no complaints. I can't afford time to turn off sensors and I can't screw up a grab. My way has worked flawlessly. Quickest and safest way I have found for me. I have let others fly my drone all green horns and taught each to hand catch it and all have pulled it off first time with no issues. I don't care if anyone on the planet uses it or not. I just figured I'd point it out. if folks want to land it in their hand? Fine! If folks want to grab it from the middle and let it fight? Fine! If Folks want to grab it then flip it sideways? Fine! If folks want to turn off the sensors? Fine! I just offer a way without doing any of that and just gently catch it out of the air with no problems. Use it? Don't use it? Don't care! Lol....

I tried catching it once with my hand and decide that it is too risky. As soon as my hand gets close, it must have detected the obstacle so it flew higher and away from me. I don't want to grab it too quickly as I run the risk of catching the propellers with my fingers.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54