DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How long have you been flying your original props?

I use to not unfold the props and let the motor start up take care of it. But now I never fold, and it seems to extend their longevity.

I always unfold the blades as straight as practical, seems like good airmanship to me.

I suspect that they pivot slightly during rotor acceleration (especially at start), as the torque would be very high compared to the drag on the blade but that centripetal force would correct that soon after.

Mavic is still on the set of props since I receiver January of this year. I have been lucky I guess because I fly 4 or 5 times a week.

1st set: 26h flight time, 500km > low altitude crash, MP OK
2nd set: 31h flight time, 700km > GPS dropped to ATTI upon landing approach, crashed into 10m high roof, surprisingly MP OK
3rd & current set: 10h flight time, 200km.

I nailed my sets to the wall for funsies :)
DSC03652.jpg

Never changed them since I received it in November

2nd set: 31h flight time, 700km > GPS dropped to ATTI upon landing approach, crashed into 10m high roof, surprisingly MP OK

View attachment 13956

Sheeshs, that's a pet cemetery!
BTW I had my MP hit some marble steps while habing braked it down to an almost safe speed, and had 2 pair of props visibly dented, then I went through a tree lined track and I hit a tree while coming back, another dented one. I'm ordering a 4 props set just now, since I only have 1 ccw prop left spare. So since I'm at that I'm also ordering some nd polarized filters, guessing right now which one

I used to balance and change out props on my P2 fairly regularly. I have flown 49 total miles on my Mavic's original props, and they still seem to be solid. I keep them clean and inspect them for damage, as well as checking their friction at the hub to see if they're loosening up. So far, no problems. Are any of you changing your props on a regular basis to avoid fatigue /fractures? How many miles or kilometers have you logged on a single set of props?
I still fly with the original props:)

View attachment 13956

Woh! You didn't mow the yard with those did ya? lol ;)

I love the sticker that says "reward if found" that's a really good idea.

Yeah good point. I run the loose props on the front motors since the front motor pair does not work as hard as the rear motors.

I use to not unfold the props and let the motor start up take care of it. But now I never fold, and it seems to extend their longevity.

I noticed on our first Mavic the rear props went 'loose' first. I also got into a bad habit of leaving the props folded when starting the motors, but it makes the craft jump when you spin up, that can't be good.

We still keep them on for transit, just unfold the wings to take off.

The only time I have found a crack in a prop without scraping something was on a set that came with legs and guards, it was a cheap set and while I would use them again in an emergency I would not depend on them for regular use.

Official props have done me hundreds of miles and hours of flight time with no visible issues. I sometimes find bugs and 'dust' accumulate on them. For this i use my nails to carefully clean them.

It would be nice to see the official line on the life span though.

I woader if the new quiet props are worth the money, and the life difference too.

Only changed mine due to bug splatter. They were still fine after 10 months of flying

This thread made me check my props, two had hairline cracks in them :)

Preferably check them every flight, but even a visual at takeoff and a touchy feely at least at the start/end of the day is better than nothing.

Loosing a prop at 400 feet is never going to end well!

As long and they look and feel good. I too always unfold them for flying. Have never taken them off to check the lugs. Keep them on the MP all the time, even when legs are folded up and put into my hard carrying case. The only time I had to replace them is when I crashed and flew into some tree branches.

I still fly with the first set of props, now over a year of joy:)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leroyman