DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How many Gs does the DJI FPV drone experience?

Dangerly

Reactions
Has anyone attached a g-meter to the DJI FPV to see how many Gs it pulls in the most intense direction changes? If no one has done that test, I'm thinking I might do that.

Or, is this information available (maybe indirectly after some calculations) in the logs somewhere?

Last edited:
It all depends on a combination of the smallest turn radius & the highest speed you can keep through out it, considering air slip and a perfect banking for the circumstances.

The highest G force it can achieve ought to be the braking force when going max 140km/h straight into a solid object.

If the deacceleration time is somewhere near a half of a second... that would generate close to 8G... and we know what happens to a DJI FPV Drone then :D

An easier solution is just to post a log file. Those have all the necessary data to calculate 3-axis acceleration.
Interesting, I really never gave much thought about G's in regard to flying a drone.

As @sar104 pointed out, you can calculate with the data from the log very simply.

If the accelerometer data is reported in SI unit, (meters/second squared) just divide by 9.81 for G's.

For directionless G measurement in code: double g = sqrt(x * x + y * y + z * z)

Cheers!

Interesting, I really never gave much thought about G's in regard to flying a drone.

As @sar104 pointed out, you can calculate with the data from the log very simply.

If the accelerometer data is reported in SI unit, (meters/second squared) just divide by 9.81 for G's.

For directionless G measurement in code: double g = sqrt(x * x + y * y + z * z)

Cheers!
The txt logs don't include the raw accelerometer data - only the fusion velocities. But it is trivial to differentiate those with respect to time to calculate accelerations.

Reactions: db4476
Has anyone attached a g-meter to the DJI FPV to see how many Gs it pulls in the most intense direction changes? If no one has done that test, I'm thinking I might do that.

Or, is this information available (maybe indirectly after some calculations) in the logs somewhere?
I managed to pull 7.18 Gs by starting with full throttle in level flight. Then a loop with full back pitch. The max acceleration occurred when the FPV passed through 70° on the first loop and 40° on the second loop.
1648930841388.png

I managed to pull 7.18 Gs...
I know the thread was regarding the FPV drone ... but when I saw what you clocked trying to max it @BudWalker ... I went through the Blackbox from one of my fastest quads, just to see what I could find.

This was from a ordinary freestyle flight ... so nothing about trying to maximize any G's ...

Definitely highest in the Z-axis when doing short punch ups to get some ascending momentum before flips, highest here was 6.28 G

1648934873101.png

Reactions: BudWalker
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErieSkyPixel