DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How many of you calibrated your mavic 2?

The "distance" thing still makes no sense. As I said, it measures the field vector (strength and direction) on startup - it doesn't need a calibration to do that. And it calculates declination - a calibration simply cannot determine that. The only thing the calibration is for is to subtract out the magnetic field of the aircraft components themselves, and those don't change with distance or, generally, with time, only by adding or changing components or exposing the aircraft to a strong magnetic field.

Whether it makes sense to you or not my drone was doing it based on distance which was reflected clearly in the .dat flight logs.
So someone at DJI engineering clearly thought it was needed at the time (but gone since the last update).

For the most part, once you calibrate when getting the machine, you should only redo the compass if you move to a different location. UN-necessary calibrations both IMU and Compass are the cause for many problems since if its performed incorrectly, it can lead to numerous problems. Some of my Mavic's and Phantoms have only been calibrated 2-3 times in the past 2 years.

Fly Safe Mike

Agreed apart from the "calibrate when changing location" part. That, alone, is not a reason to recalibrate either the IMU or compass.

Agreed apart from the "calibrate when changing location" part. That, alone, is not a reason to recalibrate either the IMU or compass.

It is if the drone detects it, demands it and refuses to take off until its done.

Whether it makes sense to you or not my drone was doing it based on distance which was reflected clearly in the .dat flight logs.
So someone at DJI engineering clearly thought it was needed at the time (but gone since the last update).

I agree - mine was doing the same. But that approach was new - DJI never implemented it previously and now they appear to have had second thoughts and removed it, which is not surprising since it is pointless. I would love to have the chance to talk to their design engineers about this stuff, but not likely to happen.

It is if the drone detects it, demands it and refuses to take off until its done.

That's why I said that changing location, alone, is not a reason to do it. Obviously if the aircraft refuses to fly without it then you have no choice.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dukegotit