DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How often are DJI drones locked

trelliz

Reactions
I wonder how often does DJI lock drones for old firmware or mods? Is it permanent or they can be unlocked?
I ask because I really want to fly above 500m on my mavic pro.

You don't want to go down that path, not in here.
You are basically asking how to break the rules.
Some people here might make nasty comments about breaking rules and endangering people and properties.
Then those that break/bend the rules (sometimes) might get upset, and post nasty comments about people posting nasty comments about people breaking rules.
Then moderators will have to step in and close this thread.

Ummm, Only can be done with old FW and Modifications!
If your on latest FW, Then it will be a task to get what you want, but possible.
I will leave it at that.;)

You don't want to go down that path, not in here.
You are basically asking how to break the rules.
Some people here might make nasty comments about breaking rules and endangering people and properties.
Then those that break/bend the rules (sometimes) might get upset, and post nasty comments about people posting nasty comments about people breaking rules.
Then moderators will have to step in and close this thread.
I just want to know the probability of a drone geting locked and how wideapread it is.

Reactions: Ruthless Rotors
You specifically state you want use old firmware to remove restrictions to fly above 500m. Basically, admitting intent to break rules...
I usually update to latest firmware as soon as they came out. The only time I've seen DJI specifically locking their drone from taking off was in Sept last year (I only had the Spark then), they gave advance warning about that. That was something about battery firmware, which could shut power and cause the drone to fall out of the sky.
I'll leave it to others who are using older firmware to comment of DJI actually locks Mavic if old firmware is detected.

I just want to know the probability of a drone geting locked and how wideapread it is.
I have many DJI drones, You should not be locked unless there is a hardware or status error due to location and NFZ's. otherwise, most likely FW non consistent with app.
Best practices, Keep internet connections silent (airplane mode) while flying.

You specifically state you want use old firmware to remove restrictions to fly above 500m. Basically, admitting intent to break rules...
I usually update to latest firmware as soon as they came out. The only time I've seen DJI specifically locking their drone from taking off was in Sept last year (I only had the Spark then), they gave advance warning about that. That was something about battery firmware, which could shut power and cause the drone to fall out of the sky.
I'll leave it to others who are using older firmware to comment of DJI actually locks Mavic if old firmware is detected.
That was only for the Spark. No other drones were affected.
I have seen very little on MP having Locked status.

Reactions: beachcombing

He lives in Russia, I don't know what the altitude restrictions are. I know they closely modeled regulations after US regulations, but I never looked at the specifics.

Reactions: trelliz
I wonder how often does DJI lock drones for old firmware or mods? Is it permanent or they can be unlocked?
You want to test the engine shutdown and restart?

DJI does not lock drones. They might (try to) force an update, but if you keep your internet disconnected they can't push an update. Once updated it might be very hard/impossible to go back to a hacked version.

That being said messing with the mavic (or any DJI drone) to get it to fly higher than 500m WILL VOID ANY WARRANTY / DJI CARE.

You will also very likely VIOLATE MULTIPLE LAWS (local rules and regulations).

Most places have a 120m AGL limit. It is very unlikely that at 500m above takeoff point you are still less than 120m AGL. There are very few times going above 500m AGL has any use other than bragging rights.

He lives in Russia, I don't know what the altitude restrictions are. I know they closely modeled regulations after US regulations, but I never looked at the specifics.
Its funny, but I cant find a law that limits max altitude for drones in Russia. And I looked pretty hard.

O
Only if you truly abuse the rules! And if you do, Karma will take place soon enough one day.
Don't do it!:cool:
Otherwise happy flights.:D

Reactions: ksmusa
GoPro Karma
No, not that karma, Karma in general! Knowing guilt to doing something bad, always comes back to punish you 2 fold or more. That's the Karma im talking about!:cool:

Best I could fine was this

General Russia Drone Laws
Drone use is allowed in Russia, but there are several drone laws that need to be followed when flying in the country. Operators must ensure that they follow the following drone laws when flying in Russia,

• You must technically register any drone weighing over 250 grams (0.55lb) with the Transport agency. Despite this rule, the system has not been put in place to register drones, and we have heard from many customers that they have had no issues flying without registration in Russia at this time
  • Do not fly your drone over people or large crowds
  • Respect others privacy when flying your drone
  • Do not fly your drone over military installations, power plants, or any areas that could cause concern from local authorities
  • You must fly during daylight hours and only fly in good weather conditions
  • Do not fly your drone near airports or in any area where aircraft are operating
  • Be aware that many sensitive areas of Moscow and other Russian cities have GPS jammers in order to prevent drones from flying around them. This may cause interference with your drone and may cause it to return to home or land if it flies into these areas. It is best to stay away from these areas to avoid potentially losing your drone, or getting in trouble with the authorities

Reactions: mrchris87
It will never get locked.
That is not the issue.
If you have a newer mavic it will need taken apart and an internal sd card added.
And you need then you will need to be on firmware .700 or lower

mmm i wasnt aware of this. Learn something everyday
I used software that is available to rollback firmware.
so this sd card is internal and cant be accessed unless mavic is pulled apart?
do you have any pics?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spawnn