DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How stupid is it to fly with out app?

Neebles

Reactions
So I pick my kids up from school...I got here early today to get some fly time in around the soccer fields. Anyway, I realized I left the stupid phone I use to run the DJI app on,charging at home. It’s it a real bad idea to fly without it? I’m not looking to record anything obviously, just do some low altitude hot laps. I don’t have enough time to go home, get the phone and come back. Should I just stay grounded?

Reactions: daasmangi
So I pick my kids up from school...I got here early today to get some fly time in around the soccer fields. Anyway, I realized I left the stupid phone I use to run the DJI app on,charging at home. It’s it a real bad idea to fly without it? I’m not looking to record anything obviously, just do some low altitude hot laps. I don’t have enough time to go home, get the phone and come back. Should I just stay grounded?
It is my belief that most of the "fail safe" like RTH requires the App for location, but if it is VLOS all of the time, and the school does not care about the aircraft, I do know that it CAN be flown with just the controller.Have not tried, yet.

It is my belief that most of the "fail safe" like RTH requires the App for location, but if it is VLOS all of the time, and the school does not care about the aircraft, I do know that it CAN be flown with just the controller.Have not tried, yet.

Yeah, I know it can definitely be flown without. I think It’s more of a should I, than can I.

School doesn’t care, the soccer fields are in a park across the street.

How much experience with Mavic do you have? Are you feeling like fish in water with it?

Reactions: MadValley
How much experience with Mavic do you have? Are you feeling like fish in water with it?

Yeah, I fly FPV racing drones so this is like a bike with training wheels. Plus, I do have State Farm insurance. However, I decided it wasn’t worth the risk so in my car I sit. It’s a shame as it’s 50 and sunny out, which is not normal for December in northern Illinois.

Fly it. Keep it in sight and have fun. RTH and cancel buttons will work and you have battery strength, speed, distance, and height readouts on the RC. Everyone should feel confident flying without a phone/tablet because if you have not had the app crash or device die, you will. Think of it as practice for when it happens.

Agreed, fly it. Just be sure to keep it completely in sight. It's good practice and still fun.

You can fly without the app. Just make sure that you are out in the open. The LED will flash rapidly once Home point has been recorded. It uses the Mavic's GPS positioning. You just won't be to verify its Home point location.

It is my belief that most of the "fail safe" like RTH requires the App for location, .

Thats incorrect Bud. Homepoint is recorded on takeoff from the GPS in the AC, so RTH would work fine. A mobile device is not required by the Mavic or RC to fly other than to give a GPS location if you where to change homepoint, which you cant without a device anyway!!

Reactions: MAVA4 and dbyantis
Would RTH settings be the same as previous flight ?
Ie. If left at RTH default 30m, it will still apply this ?
Another point to consider, wireless signal loss . . . same thing, would it be default RTH 30m, or maybe last setting it was on (hover or land) ?

Would RTH settings be the same as previous flight ?
Ie. If left at RTH default 30m, it will still apply this ?
Another point to consider, wireless signal loss . . . same thing, would it be default RTH 30m, or maybe last setting it was on (hover or land) ?

It's my understanding that a lot of the parameters we set are stored on the drone. So, would be as previous flight.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
It's my understanding that a lot of the parameters we set are stored on the drone. So, would be as previous flight.

I'll test this next flight at a decent open area to be sure, but I think you might be right.
Have never flown without viewing device myself, so that itself will be good to experience in case of go4 crash or such ever happens.

Reactions: GooterFly68
By the way, how did you post all these messages from the field without phone?

Thanks Neebles, So far my iPhone 6s Plus has been working fine and upgrade eligible. I am thinking about keeping it as djigo4 device after the upgrade.

Shortly after I got my Mavic, my phone would discharge very quickly while flying, so I tried flying without it, the Mavic was only able to go a short distance away While flying without the phone, so I felt pretty confident.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark