DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to descend most rapidly?

The fastest way to descend is to pull both sticks down and inwards ?
Yes it is it will drop like a rock.
Please do not post such even in jest as a new member might take
it serious and do it.

Yes it is it will drop like a rock.
Please do not post such even in jest as a new member might take
it serious and do it.

Said in jest in this thread but it _is_ useful knowledge.

With my old Mavic 1 I used it on one occasion when a _very_ low flying Apache suddenly entered the airspace at speed over the tree line. It probably was above 120m AGL, but not by much and I wasn't going to risk being the drone pilot who took out a multi million dollar machine.
I managed to restart the motors before hitting the ground, landed, packed up, went home and changed my underwear!

Said in jest in this thread but it _is_ useful knowledge.

With my old Mavic 1 I used it on one occasion when a _very_ low flying Apache suddenly entered the airspace at speed over the tree line. It probably was above 120m AGL, but not by much and I wasn't going to risk being the drone pilot who took out a multi million dollar machine.
I managed to restart the motors before hitting the ground, landed, packed up, went home and changed my underwear!
I understand why you would do it I would also if Necessary but you should have stated that.

Reactions: boxsterfahrer
I understand why you would do it I would also if Necessary but you should have stated that.
Sorry - I thought it was fairly obviously a joke when posted, especially with a devil emoji.

If anyone really does try something without knowing what it does, maybe they should think twice about owning a drone ?

Reactions: JamieK
Sorry - I thought it was fairly obviously a joke when posted, especially with a devil emoji.

If anyone really does try something without knowing what it does, maybe they should think twice about owning a drone ?
Maybe you should think twice before posting such.
That’s that .This shall stay on topic from here out.

• Haha
Reactions: Malcx
To those debating Malcx's post.
Folks, I think you are missing or failing to emphasize a point with potentially serious consequences, that point is.
With certain models of Mavics ( I only have hands on experience of the Mini and M2P/Z's and am not going to plough through manuals of other models, hence "certain") the CSC command may not (in normal flight conditions) stop the motors if the drone has its 'CSC response' set to the default mode of operation.
With the 'CSC position' response set to "Emergency Only" (the default mode) I have taken my Mini up to over 100m and then put the sticks in the CSC position and held them there. The Mini did, of course, come down 'quickly' but the motors were running all the way down ( to a height of 1 or 2 m ) and it was a controlled descent at the descent rate applicable to the flying mode i.e. C, P or S. The mini hovered as soon as the sticks were released
In similar tests, from lower altitudes, I even noticed the descent rate slow as the drone descended into the range of the vision sensors, as per a normal descent. It probably did slow during the 100m test but I wasn't paying that much attention to its descent speed.
With the response set to "Anytime" yes, the motors will shut down in midair, I did this experiment starting low down with the flight mode set to C (slowest descent rate and flight speeds to give me the lowest feasible test height and hopefully gentlest crash, the thinking worked). The motors stopped after the CSC position had been held for around 2 seconds and the mini dropped onto grass.

With a Mavic 2 Pro I am not willing to risk testing this in free flight. But I have launched the drone then caught it and, to simulate free flight, started to wobble it. With the 'CSC position' response set to "Breakdown", the CSC position did not stop the motors irrespective of however long it was held ( I held it for probably 15 to 20 seconds).
With the 'CSC position' response set to "Always", the CSC position did stop the motors, and quickly so, but I didn't 'time it'.

I think this behaviour needs highlighting and emphasizing as I would not mind betting that there are people out there who will miss the significance of the difference between the two response modes. I was puzzled by it and fortunately investigated it.
So, in a nutshell, if my Mini was caught in Malcx's Apache situation and the Mini's CSC response was set to "Emergency Only" and if I, coming from a Phantom 3 Adv pilot's mindset, had chosen to CSC it out of the Apach'e's way, the mini would not have dropped. I am inclined to think neither would the M2P.

For clarity I am not advocating the use of the CSC position as routine in ANY mode.
I suspect that a mid air motor stop with the Mini will result in a crash as I suspect the Mini will tumble in free fall and, as a consequence of that tumbling, it will be impossible to restart the motors. I am not even prepared to gamble testing any of this with the M2P in free flight.

From memory, with a Phantom 3 Adv the CSC position always works but you have to hold the position for 5 seconds

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
To those debating Malcx's post.
Folks, I think you are missing a point with potentially serious consequences, that point is.
With certain models of Mavics ( I only have hands on experience of the Mini and M2P/Z's and am not going to plough through manuals for others, hence "certain") the CSC command may not stop the motors if the drone has its 'CSC response' set to the default mode of operation.
With the 'CSC position' response set to "Emergency Only" (the default mode) I have taken my Mini up to over 100m and then put the sticks in the CSC position and held them there. The Mini did, of course, come down 'quickly' but the motors were running all the way down and it was a controlled descent at the descent rate applicable to the flying mode i.e. C, P or S.
In similar tests, from lower altitudes, I even noticed the descent rate slow as the drone descended into the range of the vision sensors, as per a normal descent. It probably did slow during the 100m test but I wasn't paying that much attention to its descent speed.
With the response set to "Anytime" yes, the motors will shut down in midair, I did this experiment starting low down with the flight mode set to C (slowest descent rate and flight speeds to give me the lowest feasible test height and hopefully gentlest crash, the thinking worked). The motors stopped after the CSC position had been held for around 2 seconds and the mini dropped onto grass.

With a Mavic 2 Pro I am not willing to risk testing this in free flight. But I have launched the drone then caught it and, to simulate free flight, started to wobble it. With the 'CSC position' response set to "Breakdown", the CSC position did not stop the motors irrespective of however long it was held ( I held it for probably 15 to 20 seconds).
With the 'CSC position' response set to "Always", the CSC position did stop the motors, and quickly so, but I didn't 'time it'.

I think this behaviour needs highlighting and emphasing as I would not mind betting that there are people out there who will miss the significance of the difference between the two response modes. I was puzzled by it and fortunately investigated it.
So, in a nutshell, if my Mini was caught in Malcx's Apache situation and the Mini's CSC response was set to "Emergency Only" and if I, coming from a Phantom 3 Adv pilot's mindset, had chosen to CSC it out of the Apach'e's way, the mini would not have dropped. I am inclined to think neither would the M2P.

For clarity I am not advocating the use of the CSC position as routine in ANY mode.
I suspect that a mid air motor stop with the Mini will result in a crash as I suspect the Mini will tumble in free fall and, as a consequence of that tumbling, it will be impossible to restart the motors. I am not even prepared to gamble testing any of this with the M2P in free flight.

From memory, with a Phantom 3 Adv the CSC position always works but you have to hold the position for 5 seconds

Thanks @PhiliusFoggg and a good reminder to me. I had set it to "anytime" on my mini as I want to be able to drop like a stone in what I deem an emergency, but I wouldn't think to check on the rare occasion I fly someone else's device. In those split second situations I'd probably make a bad assumption...

If you have DJI Care Refresh, go for it and test this in a safe place that will wont hurt anybody or property.

When I need to descend quickly (and am thus in sport mode), will I lose altitude quickest by: 1) descending straight down, or 2) full forward pitch plus full down throttle?

Seems obvious that it should be option 1. But given my dearth of knowledge of the M2P flight efficiency, and having forgotten all of high school vector physics, it seems a question worth asking.

Kill the motors.

D

[/QUOTE] If anyone really does try something without knowing what it does, maybe they should think twice about owning a drone ?
[/QUOTE]

I work industrial maintenance. We do it all the time when something is down and we run out of logical things to try.

Usually works too ...usually.

"Hmm, why is this IPS-L communication fault flashing?"
"I dunno, put your override key in the panel and try hitting the reset button for transmission sequence."
"What will that do?"
"I dunno but it worked the last time this happened and I tried it."

True story. ?

Here bubba watch this huh ?

• Haha
Reactions: LeeHene
Errrrr, sort of but not really. ?
Whats with the rolling eyes
Hmm, why is this IPS-L communication fault flashing?"
"I dunno, put your override key in the panel and try hitting the reset button for transmission sequence."
"What will that do?"
"I dunno but it worked the last time this happened and I tried it."

True story. ?
If that’s not a Hey bubba watch this moment nothing is.
Truth ?‍♂️

Reactions: Made2Phly
. I suspect DJI calculated the safest descent rate based on vortex ring state to prevent the blades from stalling on a direct descent.

[/QUOTE]
This is very interesting and I didn't know about it. It makes sense though. When you are coming straight down the mp2 will get the wobbles sometimes as with other drones. This must be the start of VRS. Obviously DJI know what decent speed this happens at and they limit it.

It would be nice to be able to speed ramp down like you can with toy drones... I.e forward and down. Doing this as stated would avoid VRS and enable a rapid decent. It should be easy for them to programme in I would have thought.

Also, I've heard of a faster decent using yaw to spin the drone as you decend. Sounds dicey and I havent tried it yet...

Thank you for the info.

. I suspect DJI calculated the safest descent rate based on vortex ring state to prevent the blades from stalling on a direct descent.
This is very interesting and I didn't know about it. It makes sense though. When you are coming straight down the mp2 will get the wobbles sometimes as with other drones. This must be the start of VRS. Obviously DJI know what decent speed this happens at and they limit it.

It would be nice to be able to speed ramp down like you can with toy drones... I.e forward and down. Doing this as stated would avoid VRS and enable a rapid decent. It should be easy for them to programme in I would have thought.

Also, I've heard of a faster decent using yaw to spin the drone as you decend. Sounds dicey and I havent tried it yet...

Thank you for the info.
[/QUOTE]
Forward and Down DOES provide a faster descent on the MA2.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boatdoc