DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to do a time lapse?

Wolfman Jonathan

Reactions
Hi all!

Having a blast with my magic. The grab n' go aspect has changed everything for me! For example, this morning, I noticed a sunrise about to happen. From that moment, my Mavic was humming above the clouds within a couple of minutes. I thought I would take a long video and bring it into Premier CC and speed up the duration like 2500. What I got was a jerky mess, not a smooth time lapse.

Does anyone know how to do this? Do I need to do some math and extract a certain number of frames from the video (please no!). Is there a time lapse function I don't see? That would be killer.

Any help you can give me would be amazing.

Thanks!

JonnyVermont

Reactions: beldog41
basic info but this helped my time lapse. videos

Did you do a render before playing? Becasue without doing a render there's no way your PC will be able to play footage at 25x speed. Until you render it still has to decode all frames even if it's only displaying one every 25.

15 minutes isnt a huge amount of time to run a time lapse. Not saying it cant be done, but there just wont be a whole lot of changing going on.

Maybe running a hyperlapse would be a better try instead. I cant remember who demo'd this on YouTube, but the basic gist is to set up the camera to take JPG's every 2 seconds, then (after making sure you have a clear path) use Tap Fly for a few hundred feet. It will take photos every 2 seconds, then back at the computer you can pull all of them into a video. It can make for some striking footage.

I would like some more clear info on this as well. How does one stitch the pictures together for a video? Sorry Noob question. I am using CyberLink PowerDirector 15

If you use for the photos the same shutterspeed than for a video, I recommend to make a video and speed it up in Video editing tool. Photos for timelapse I use only if I want 1) higher resulution to zoom in later or 2) make photo brackets to make HDR Timelapse or 3) to have very long exposure time >1 second to get special effects of clouds or moving cars, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I use Resolve to stabilize the video in post production as the Mavic does drift even in no wind.

It has been noted in another post (cant find it at the moment) that flying in Tripod mode very slowly will allow the action to take place in front of the Mavic 's camera and create a time lapse.

Here is an example I found

Did you do a render before playing? Becasue without doing a render there's no way your PC will be able to play footage at 25x speed. Until you render it still has to decode all frames even if it's only displaying one every 25.

How is it so still?

Reactions: imnotreallyscott
I'm in tripod mode and still get some roughness to the film. Perhaps the secret is tripod + _slow flying_? I've been sitting still rather than flying soooo,...

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR