DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to fly with a pace maker?

Rustedfrog8

Reactions
My preacher and I were talking recently about drones when he mentioned how much he would like to be able to fly them. However, every time he has tried being around anything with an RC controller he gets random shocks from his pace maker. He stated it doesn’t matter if it has been RC cars, boats, or drones. It’s not the car or drone. It’s the controller. I told him about the tello that he can fly with his phone. Are there any better drones that would be more fun that can be flown with a phone only. I am new to DJI and will be purchasing my first one on Friday. Thanks for any advice you can give.

My preacher and I were talking recently about drones when he mentioned how much he would like to be able to fly them. However, every time he has tried being around anything with an RC controller he gets random shocks from his pace maker. He stated it doesn’t matter if it has been RC cars, boats, or drones. It’s not the car or drone. It’s the controller. I told him about the tello that he can fly with his phone. Are there any better drones that would be more fun that can be flown with a phone only. I am new to DJI and will be purchasing my first one on Friday. Thanks for any advice you can give.

I think if he tries to use a drone remote he’d be messing around with some bad juju if he is getting interference from other basic wifi frequency remote controls. When you said other remote controls, are you talking about the ones with the long antennas attached to them that are transmitting at lower frequencies? Perhaps the higher frequencies of cellular may not be interfering with it, so you might be right about a Wi-Fi based drone. The Mavic Mini might actually be suitable for that. I guess he could also try shielding it, now I’m not kidding about this (seriously!) but a metallic vest sort of like a wearable Faraday cage may work, but I would not want to be the one to test it.

Edit: guess what? Amazon sells Faraday blankets and other EMF wearable materials that might actually work! There is even a Faraday beanie!! If anything, it will keep them body warm ;). No seriously, if you did try something like that, you would have to ground it to make it work correctly. But it still may not work because if he’s holding the controller, that could increase the RF energy back towards his body as well. It may just not be worth the effort due to the risk.

Last edited:
If your friend has a pacemakre that is susceptible to radio interference from electronic devices, then he should check with his doctor. What if he was on an elevator and a device interfered with his pacemaker? @AMann 's suggestion of a protective vest is something to consider. Like this RF blocking hoodie.

Reactions: Afremont and AMann
If your friend has a pacemakre that is susceptible to radio interference from electronic devices, then he should check with his doctor. What if he was on an elevator and a device interfered with his pacemaker? @AMann 's suggestion of a protective vest is something to consider. Like this RF blocking hoodie.

Good advice about checking with the doctor first. Definitely should do that!

You know, those EMF hoodies might actually make it safer if stuck out in a thunderstorm is well, It’s not like it would make you any more conductive because your body already is, but it may help channel most of the electrical energy around your body instead of through it. Your skin may be burnt, but your heart would still be beating. I still think though you’ll have to ground it with a short cable in order to cut out RF interference, especially if you’re hand holding a transmitter.

Just thinking.... if he is talking about the old R/C stuff, that is on 72MHz, we are all now on some band of WiFi.... WiFi is everywhere... I would think if he can be anywhere a WiFi router he should be able to be near a modern type r/c aircraft?

Reactions: AMann
I am kind of wondering if the WiFi would make a difference as well. I am going to ask him if he is willing to try my mavic air when I buy it next week. I will also keep the RF blocking vest or hoody in mind as well. Thank you for the tips.

I have a deliberator unit and fly 3 different DJI drones and have no problems getting shocks etc. I don't wear any protection jacket.
I would go back to your doctor or hospital that fitted your unit. My unit MAY be affected by a VERY strong magnetic field but not WiFi.

Reactions: AMann
As a retired employee of a pacemaker manufacturer I can tell you 1) a pacemaker can not deliver a “shock” of any kind. Many patients get “weird” feeling and incorrectly assign them to the pacemaker. 2) RF interference with a pacemaker could fool it into thinking it sees a heartbeat and inhibit the output (the old microwave oven fear). But, pacemakers are manufactured to filter and ignore any common RF noise like WiFi, cellular, etc. The individual that said talk to your physician gave the best advice. I would second that suggestion.

I'm 78 years old, have had a pacemaker for two and a half years and fly a DJI 2 Zoom, maybe I've been lucky because I've used multiple power tools, chain saws, welding and have never had even a tickle from my pacemaker! My Cardiologist said I could weld with a 160amp welder, I have a 180amp with no problem, so far?. I wonder how old his pacemaker is? Maybe he's ready for a new pacemaker?? Seems like they have new advances daily.

Reactions: Mac Man
As a retired employee of a pacemaker manufacturer I can tell you 1) a pacemaker can not deliver a “shock” of any kind. Many patients get “weird” feeling and incorrectly assign them to the pacemaker. 2) RF interference with a pacemaker could fool it into thinking it sees a heartbeat and inhibit the output (the old microwave oven fear). But, pacemakers are manufactured to filter and ignore any common RF noise like WiFi, cellular, etc. The individual that said talk to your physician gave the best advice. I would second that suggestion.

Couldn't it be one of those pacemakers fitted with a defibrillator? Either way, sounds like a bad deal having that attached to his heart if it’s acting up

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sam452