DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to hand catch your Mavic 2 Pro

I have yet to find a reason to turn off the sensors or landing protection. I rises slightly as it first detects my hand under it and then settles gently down into my hand. What problem is turning off sensor supposed to fix?
There's no major reason to turn off the landing protection or downward sensors, but if you do, then hand catching is easier as it doesn't worry about an 'unsuitable landing site' and just merrily descends into your hand, without any rising or revving of the props.

Ian

As already said, if you hold left stick down, you hear the message "landing", it DISABLES the sensors, and lands smoothly on your hand. When it stops, props stop spinning.

There's no need to turn off sensors manually, no need to turn Mavic for props to stop, no danger to cut your fingers either, because it lands on your palm.

Simple and safe.

I have yet to find a reason to turn off the sensors or landing protection. I rises slightly as it first detects my hand under it and then settles gently down into my hand. What problem is turning off sensor supposed to fix?

It stops the aircraft from rising away from you when trying to grab it. Rather than messing around and trying to grab it forward of the sensors or trying to catch it on its way down, you just reach up, grab the underside of the craft and hold down throttle until the motors stop.

No revving, no instability, no risk of it dropping faster than you expect due to wind, no risk of it dropping onto your hand and possibly tipping while the props spin down, arguably the safest way to do it.

As already said, if you hold left stick down, you hear the message "landing", it DISABLES the sensors, and lands smoothly on your hand. When it stops, props stop spinning.

There's no need to turn off sensors manually, no need to turn Mavic for props to stop, no danger to cut your fingers either, because it lands on your palm.

Simple and safe.
Where does it state this? I only ask as when I hold the left stick down, as you see in the video, it will lower to around 2 feet above your hand then pause. If you keep the left stick down, it does indeed eventually lower to your hand but will usually rev up again and often slightly take off before returning back down again. This bouncing is stopped if you disable the downward sensors, so the fact it happens even with the left stick down made me think it's not actually disabling the sensors at all...
Ian

Where does it state this? I only ask as when I hold the left stick down, as you see in the video, it will lower to around 2 feet above your hand then pause. If you keep the left stick down, it does indeed eventually lower to your hand but will usually rev up again and often slightly take off before returning back down again. This bouncing is stopped if you disable the downward sensors, so the fact it happens even with the left stick down made me think it's not actually disabling the sensors at all...
Ian
No. It just lands on your palm.

No bouncing, sensors disabled.

It always works. It's the same procedure you do, when you land on the ground.

Just push left stick down, and hold it, until props stop.

No. It just lands on your palm.

No bouncing, sensors disabled.

It always works. It's the same procedure you do, when you land on the ground.

Just push left stick down, and hold it, until props stop.
Did you actually watch my video? Because that's exactly what I'm doing and you can see the Mavic bouncing.... This is why I'm wondering where you got the info that holding the left stick disables the sensors? Is it your assumption or is it stated somewhere deep in the manual that I've missed?
Jump to 2:40

At least with the M2, it normally checks if the landing site is suitable, so clearly the downward sensors are used. The question is if the general disable sensors which you can now assign to C1/C2 also disables this check.
I'd rather assign this to 5D, as I need C1/C2 for functions that is impractical to take my hand off the right stick to operate. Turning off sensors wouldn't be one of them.

At least with the M2, it normally checks if the landing site is suitable, so clearly the downward sensors are used. The question is if the general disable sensors which you can now assign to C1/C2 also disables this check.
I'd rather assign this to 5D, as I need C1/C2 for functions that is impractical to take my hand off the right stick to operate. Turning off sensors wouldn't be one of them.
And for the Pro. The whole point of landing protection is that it uses the sensors to establish if the landing site is suitable. And seeing as the only way you land is by holding the left stick down, I can't see how that action can disable the sensors, as that's the very moment the sensors are actually used and needed....

Did you actually watch my video? Because that's exactly what I'm doing and you can see the Mavic bouncing.... This is why I'm wondering where you got the info that holding the left stick disables the sensors? Is it your assumption or is it stated somewhere deep in the manual that I've missed?
Jump to 2:40
No I didn't read it in the manual, of course.

I know this, because I hand land my MP and spark, with all oa enabled, and none of them bounces.
Once they detect my hand, they rise a little, but right after that, they land on my hand.

Watching your video, I see a difference.
I always hand land my drones, with nose away from me (with their back side facing me), to avoid front sensors from detecting me.

I have done it many times, without a single issue, and every time i hear the message "landing". Checking logs, I see sensors disabled during landing.

I don't have (yet) a Mavic 2 to test.

Hi All just curious what happens if you use the in go4 app slide to land ?

I always fly with my skids from iRepairMD, which then makes it the same catch method as the Phantoms.

(No risk of losing a finger or trying to explain to the nurses in an ER that your drone cut your wrist and you weren't trying to end it all...LOL)

I have always hand caught with all my DJI drones without any hickup, however yesterday I was bringing the M2P down and gently gripped the front of the chassis before the sensors as always but on this occasion it just went nuts! The motors span up to max and I then had a battle on my hands to keep firm hold while trying to stop the bloody motors spinning. Left stick down and hold did nothing multiple times and auto land wasnt working so I was quickly running out of ideas, luckily the swipe to land popped on my screen which I managed to initiate with my nose before I ended up on featuring on the Darwin awards list. Thankfully I was in my own back garden so no one saw the battle royale, drone v's tool so its safe to say I will be dissabling sensors from now on,..but still hand catching :cool:

I have always hand caught with all my DJI drones without any hickup, however yesterday I was bringing the M2P down and gently gripped the front of the chassis before the sensors as always but on this occasion it just went nuts! The motors span up to max and I then had a battle on my hands to keep firm hold while trying to stop the bloody motors spinning. Left stick down and hold did nothing multiple times and auto land wasnt working so I was quickly running out of ideas, luckily the swipe to land popped on my screen which I managed to initiate with my nose before I ended up on featuring on the Darwin awards list. Thankfully I was in my own back garden so no one saw the battle royale, drone v's tool so its safe to say I will be dissabling sensors from now on,..but still hand catching
:cool:

Don't move the drone at all when the motors are still running. Any slight movement away from the position/attitude the FC expects is construed as an error that needs to be rectified using the motors....

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
I have always hand caught with all my DJI drones without any hickup, however yesterday I was bringing the M2P down and gently gripped the front of the chassis before the sensors as always but on this occasion it just went nuts! The motors span up to max and I then had a battle on my hands to keep firm hold while trying to stop the bloody motors spinning. Left stick down and hold did nothing multiple times and auto land wasnt working so I was quickly running out of ideas, luckily the swipe to land popped on my screen which I managed to initiate with my nose before I ended up on featuring on the Darwin awards list. Thankfully I was in my own back garden so no one saw the battle royale, drone v's tool so its safe to say I will be dissabling sensors from now on,..but still hand catching :cool:
As Goof mentioned, don't move the hands down at all as it's basically trying to maintain the precise position as if it were being blown by the wind. If that happens again, simply let go. It will rise up slightly then descend again if you've kept the left stick down.
Cheers
Ian

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
As Goof mentioned, don't move the hands down at all as it's basically trying to maintain the precise position as if it were being blown by the wind. If that happens again, simply let go. It will rise up slightly then descend again if you've kept the left stick down.
Cheers
Ian
I never moved my hand, just brought the Mavic down on to it as I’ve always done and gripped under the nose In the same place. I’ve no idea why on this occasion it decided not to play!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whathesaid