DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to record and edit in 4K?

mdji37

Reactions
Hi there, this is my first post and this may seem like the most obvious question, but I'm totally new at drones!

I received my Mavic a few days ago, and have been trying to shoot in 4K, so in the camera settings from my phone (connected to controller, mavic on) in the app - I click on 4K as the option for recording videos and I have only been recording short videos about a minute long just to use that short file as a tester. Anyway, I get the sd card, put it in an adapter and plug it into my mac. Straight away in Finder, I am able to locate my clip and watch it very smoothly from Quicktime.

However, it doesn't seem 4K quality at all..and on the app it says the specs are 720p(unless that is playback quality from my phone)? I have not done ANY post processing on the clips yet and here is where my second question comes in to play: how exactly do I edit this clip? import my clip straight away into premiere pro? I was researching and heard that you need to convert the clip into something premiere will be able to work with (more easily) such as MPEG-2 - I downloaded a converter but it somehow doesn't work? I'm super confused if someone could explain to me how to record START to finish including how to import to premiere in 4k, would be amazing!

Btw, my laptop isn't "beefy" as some people put it, has 16gb of ram, but I at least want to try this. Thank you. Or at least in 1080... at least!

Hi mdji37!
As far as the second part to this, I've dragged the native 4k mov files onto my hard drive (external) and pulled them up in Premiere Pro to edit without any conversion. That part should work okay (I'm on a macbook pro circa 2013). The DJI site even has a LUT profile if you want to do some easy initial color correction if you start to shoot in the D-Log setting. Its at the bottom of the specs page here: Mavic – Specs, FAQ, Tutorials and Downloads
I did as you did - took the card from the Mavic, put it into the adapter and moved it over. Try shooting something in another resolution to test if your playback has the same resolution. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

You real quality videos are stored in SD card in drone, not in your phono or tablet.thats just cash video

Your Mac needs to have the full 4K screen resolution which most don't. I believe only the 5k iMacs and the iMac Pro's have it. You also need to transfer from the card to the hd as the port speeds may not be up to the task of transfer rates required by 4 k.
Most lesser macs will still be able to edit 4K by using proxy files. Look up this procedure for a full explanation.
Lastly and most strangely, the 5k rated imacs ship with the screen resolution set much lower then 5k. When you preview the 4 k video files you are actually seeing them in half or 2k.
You need to go into display preferences in system prefs. Then option click on resolution buttons which will change from idiot font size choices to actual pixel count resolution which will reveal the true 5k choice which is not available without option clicking. Why Apple does this is a mystery except that in true 5k format, fonts and text especially will become microscopic but you will be able to view full 4K resolution. Very nice.
Hope this helps.
Yah my $1300 Mavic cost me about $4k because of the required iMac upgrade needed. Technology sucks.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robqwe