DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to setup circular polarizer filter?

SteveNunez

Reactions
Hey guys, how are you guys figuring out how to setup the optimal rotation position for a circular polarizing filter without stressing the gimbal while adjusting the polarizer?

I don't like the idea of manhandlng the gimbal while trying to rotate the CP to obtain the correct position- how are you guys finding the optimal position without stressing the gimbal?

(Hate the fact these filters don't have rotating front elements like the standard lens filters typically use!!)

Setup the Mavic and view through the phone/tablet then hold the lens just in front of the camera and rotate it till you get the desired look then push it on.

I don't use a cp on my Mavic but you should simply be able to hold the filter in front of your eye, looking in exactly the same direction as you want to film and rotate to see the effect directly without the gimbal

I don't use a cp on my Mavic but you should simply be able to hold the filter in front of your eye, looking in exactly the same direction as you want to film and rotate to see the effect directly without the gimbal

Yep this is the way I've been doing it. Still feels a bit hit and miss though.

You can find out the optical axis of the filter by looking through it (from the camera side) onto a running flat tv or computer monitor. Now turn it until the image black. Next make a mark (e.g. dot with white paint) on the actual top side of the filter. Next go outside and again look through the filter
onto a window with reflecting light, e.g. sun. Again turn the filter and find out when the reflection is at minimum. If your mark is now at the upside or downside your mark is for minimising window reflections. If you want to reduce water reflections then just turn it 90° left or right. You will have to test here, as your monitor used may be polarised either vertically or horizontally.

Finally put your Mavic on its back and attach the filter to your camera with the protection clamp in place and the mark positioned either upwards or to the side, dependent on your planned usage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pablo and Nigpd
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman