DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I can confirm "flying from a boat" is crazy

Carrier landings.
i usually hand catch from the boat off the aft stairs but if i am in a bay and the waves are not that bad (and wind) i will land on the Aft upper sundeck. It is much safer to hand catch off the back with the boat not under-power but it is kind of fun bring it in for a landing

Reactions: Mavkeb
your video was amazing, have you ever had it land in the water? i see you have flotation stuff on there so i was just curious about that.
No, floats are strictly for recovery. I tried to make landing floats but there was too much loss in performance. Where I live the water is just too choppy to want to land in it, and those Getter-backs would be impossible to find (it's a challenge for me to find my 14" fluorescent pink crab pot buoys).

Reactions: GerdS
I've been flying my Mavic about 10 months and so far I have ONLY flown from a boat. But, that's the reason I got it in the first place. I've never had an incident so far. Landing can be tricky as the boat is never truly stationary - moving around a little at anchor or moored, moving a lot when drifting or underway. I had lots of RC experience before the Mavic, and I'm sure that helps. Still, it can be scary at times. I fly from a motor vessel with a decent sized deck on top and few obstructions. I imagine a sailing vessel would be a nightmare with all the rigging.

quite the opposite, I think you can just aim for the boat in sport mode and then pick the drone up from one of the sails or rigging... hard to miss ;)

Funny, just did that this week.. it's scary at first but take your time and it's not too bad. One thing to remember is to disable smart RTH, the last thing you want is the Mavic to decide it needs to go home because it only has enough battery to go to a spot that's now 2 miles away from you in the middle of a lake.. that's a no-no...

All the boat chase shots were shot in ActiveTrack mode.

Very nice. Where? Big Bend ?

You’ve earned your pilot’s wings. Carrier landing: accomplished.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom