DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I crashed the DJI Mavic Pro (not me!)

Are you freaking kidding me? He says making sure his take off/pickup lace is safe. The douche bag took off INSIDE a hotel room, 10 floors up and the kicker is the the building is 80% clear glass. He deserves the moron of the month award!

What a nob! These people will be responsible for hard legislation against UAV operators. That could have been someone else's Mavic who knows how to fly it. Absolutely idiotic!

Reactions: scorpio
I think the transition from no GPS to spotty GPS being so close to the building caused the crash on the technical side. Pilot error is ultimately the cause.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

He is lucky that the hotel did not phone the police and have him arrested the Mavic could have injured a kid or baby or anyone when it crashed. He should be banned from ever owning another drone.

Give the student pilot a break ... he made a mistake, he was embarrassed, he said what he SHOULD be doing ...but he was just too excited to get a chance to fly his Mavic. I don't think we need to crucify him for his expensive error in judgement, but maybe his willingness to share what he did can be a lesson to all of us to think before we act. Banned? I don't think so. If you have a car crash and bend things it may cost you, but they usually don't take your driver's license.

He is lucky that the hotel did not phone the police and have him arrested the Mavic could have injured a kid or baby or anyone when it crashed. He should be banned from ever owning another drone.

that applies to any remote controlled drone that decides to do its own thing and fly off in any random direction it chooses.. the guy made the mistake of assuming his remote controlled drone would not do this.. still no animals babies or children were harmed in the making of his video so all ended as well as could be expected in the circumstances..

did his drone decide to do its own thing.. it looked like it did to me.. not exactly a lone example ether..

trog

Give the student pilot a break ... he made a mistake, he was embarrassed, he said what he SHOULD be doing ...but he was just too excited to get a chance to fly his Mavic. I don't think we need to crucify him for his expensive error in judgement, but maybe his willingness to share what he did can be a lesson to all of us to think before we act. Banned? I don't think so. If you have a car crash and bend things it may cost you, but they usually don't take your driver's license.
There's just no excuse, this is why drone pilots have a bad name especially DJI owners due their popularity.
I built three drones and know how unpredictable they can be with new firmware.
It's just common sense which appears to be absent with half of these youtubers.

I know... lets take off from inside on a table the size of a bus ticket and fly it over a populated area!! Then when it all goes wrong say I don't know what happened. Glad he smashed his camera because it might stop him from doing more damage in future.

This guy did exactly what dji told him and everyone for that matter what the Mavic can do .....

From the launch press conference flying it indoors to the web site marketing with the mavic flying in a home .... people are using these in a way they have been marketed ..... this is not all the pilots fault. Next you will be saying everyone needs a licence

Sent from my SM-G925F using MavicPilots mobile app

This guy did exactly what dji told him and everyone for that matter what the Mavic can do .....

From the launch press conference flying it indoors to the web site marketing with the mavic flying in a home .... people are using these in a way they have been marketed ..... this is not all the pilots fault. Next you will be saying everyone needs a licence

my thoughts exactly.. the guy was doing what the marketing says he can do.. the worse youtube example i have seen was someone knowing he had stability problems testing his mavic in a hover at eye level.. less than ten feet away stood a little neighborhood kid on a scooter watching the proceedings.. it didnt seem to occur to the guy to tell the kid to move away..

having flown RC planes for more years than i can rembember i have always been aware of the possible dangers.. something the buyers of these flying selfie cams dont seem to be..

sadly the more the dangers are pointed out to them the more likely they are to get banned.. expecting the masses to behave in a "responcible" way is just cloud cuckoo land thinking..

trog

Last edited:

If you're flying a 'toy' like the BeBop, with simple wi-if connections, then you obviously don't need a licence. But I personally believe that if you're flying a quad with the capabilities of a Phantom /Inspire / Mavic, then you should be licenced. There is a tsunami of bad press on drones which is going to end up with everyone being banned - because a few idiots like this can't read their manuals, don't know the law and have no common sense. I'm spending around £1,500 to get my UAQ and then my PFCO here in the U.K., as I plan on using mine commercially. That's maybe too much for some people but there should be a registration process at least and an optional flight training by your supplying dealer - maybe limit the performance until you've at least proved SOME capability! People like this have been lucky they haven't killed / injured someone but, unfortunately, with the sheer number being sold without any legislation, it's only a matter of time. Heavens - yesterday, I saw a video posted by some fool who flew ABOVE the clouds, to about 3,500 feet, lost control and he came crashing down into a tree - although he was flying above a city! 10 feet either side and he'd have hit a pedestrian.

Reactions: AgentBB007
This Wahbiang Joe deserves a c0ck punch!

Not just for flying drones irresponsibly and crashing his Mavic, but for the blatant copying of Casey Neistat's vlog style. People just don't know to be original any more.

If you're flying a 'toy' like the BeBop, with simple wi-if connections, then you obviously don't need a licence. But I personally believe that if you're flying a quad with the capabilities of a Phantom /Inspire / Mavic, then you should be licenced. There is a tsunami of bad press on drones which is going to end up with everyone being banned - because a few idiots like this can't read their manuals, don't know the law and have no common sense. I'm spending around £1,500 to get my UAQ and then my PFCO here in the U.K., as I plan on using mine commercially. That's maybe too much for some people but there should be a registration process at least and an optional flight training by your supplying dealer - maybe limit the performance until you've at least proved SOME capability! People like this have been lucky they haven't killed / injured someone but, unfortunately, with the sheer number being sold without any legislation, it's only a matter of time. Heavens - yesterday, I saw a video posted by some fool who flew ABOVE the clouds, to about 3,500 feet, lost control and he came crashing down into a tree - although he was flying above a city! 10 feet either side and he'd have hit a pedestrian.
I agree, I don't have a licence myself but after building drones I understand how dangerous they can be and always act responsibly.
Trouble is people with more money than sense are buying these things off the shelf without any flying experience..... I mean selling them in Apple stores is just bound to be asking for trouble!
These people aren't bothered though because they'll probably just buy another one or get sent another.

Some of the other comments asking to cut him some slack concern me. Won't be saying that when it gets banned everywhere.

Obsticle avoidance.... I think it needs bellend avoidance!

Reactions: The Editor
It sucks. He made a poor descision and I'd say he learned a lesson from it. We all make poor descisions every once in awhile. Just amazing how quickly people want to throw stones.

Reactions: dam
There's just no excuse, this is why drone pilots have a bad name especially DJI owners due their popularity.
I built three drones and know how unpredictable they can be with new firmware.
It's just common sense which appears to be absent with half of these youtubers.

I know... lets take off from inside on a table the size of a bus ticket and fly it over a populated area!! Then when it all goes wrong say I don't know what happened. Glad he smashed his camera because it might stop him from doing more damage in future.
Couldn't agree more .... It might stop him .... if he learned his lesson. Maybe it should be required that we all get the Commercial License. Think that would be a good step.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It was ill advised. He paid for it pocketbook and pride. Absolutely his fault. The end. So what would a license do exactly..? It didn't look like it was piloting skills that caused the accident it was bad judgement..there is no license for that.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: Gimpy
it looked like a malfunction on the mavic that cause the crash to me.. the pilot showed bad judgment in not making allowance for that malfunction.. hence the potential risk to property or person..

the pilot intended to fly out over the water.. if all had gone to plan there would have been no crash.. all did not go to plan because the craft did not move in the direction the pilot intended it to.. it flew backwards into the bundling and crashed.. i put the crash down to a malfunction of the mavic..

the possible consequences of that malfunction is another matter.. that is where the pilot error or judgement comes into it.. as it happened no harm was done.. one storm in one teacup..

the real problem with these things is no matter how skilful the pilot.. if the automatics fail accidents can happen.. this comes down to two things.. how reliable the automatics are and where they get flown.. so far things dont look overly clever for both cases.. :)

trog

I've seen this so many times with people flying Heli's out on the RC field.
He took it out over the balcony and then spun it round (probably to get the obligatory selfie'/dronie or whatever) he then was clueless that nose in controls on the cyclic are reversed and was over compensating and then panic (it all happens in seconds).
The result is seen on the video.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54