DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I just Installed The Alientech DUO 3 on my RC PRO type B for Mav3E. Here are the details.

StevenBrodsky

Reactions
First just know there are 2 types of RC PRO controllers. There is the regular RC PRO and the TYPE B RC PRO for Mav3Enterprise units only. I installed it on the Type B RC PRO.

It cost me 800 US dollars. I installed it myself. Was it worth the price (Yes and No), Mostly No. Once opened it can't be returned, so I was stuck with it.

Why Mostly No, Improvement is minimal, but under certain conditions very noticeable. On average I am able to fly 50 - 100 feet lower when there are obstables in the area interfearing with the RC/Drone connection. Long Range flight Up to 4 miles tested, I was able to stay below 400 ft AGL without having to increase altitude. This also allowed me to get home faster with less battery loss. Because I was able to fly at lower altitudes on the way home, wind speeds had less effect on the drone.

When flying over an area nearby ,I would often fly over, required me to stay at 260ft agl to maintain a connection. Now I can fly the same area at 160ft agl and still maintain connection.

So, Do is work well, Yes. If You need to fly lower and stay below 400 ft even at long distances or areas with high interference it's worth it. Flying low also helps avoid high speed head winds.

Also, Lets say I needed to drop my altitude if a manned aircraft was approaching, Most of the time i was able to drop below 100 feet agl (that's below powerline level in my area). This kept me in a safe position as the plane or helicopter flew nearby. Also, being able to fly that low when a plane is coming , gives me a better chance of landing the drone in a spot that I can retrieve it safely.

That's all I have to say about that. I'll try to answer any questions if you all have any or just feel free to state your opinions, bad or good.

Just curious. With some of the range/ signal extenders, there's the need to open the controller for the adaptation. What was your perception of the level of difficulty? Thanks.

Just curious. With some of the range/ signal extenders, there's the need to open the controller for the adaptation. What was your perception of the level of difficulty? Thanks.
Level of difficulty for a first timer would be moderate to hard. I've done three installs before this so it was easy to moderate difficulty. There were 18 screws in total I had to remove. Luckily all but 4 were the same size. Then you just have to remember replacing all of them, or almost all of them. I was left with 4 extra screws in the end. They were minor. They just added a little extra strength to hold the outer shell together, but when I snapped all the edges together, nothing was lose. The result was solid. Again, I couldn't have done it properly, if it was my first controller mod.

EDIT: I had to set aside about 2 hours to complete the task.

4 miles away is illegal and stupid.
you prob need to keep your uninformed ideas to yourself. I could certainly fly that distance (not that i think my mav 3 could) if i chose to. To call a flight stupid and illegal, with no information or context, is just plain ignorant

Last edited:
I watched a video of someone using the Duo 3 claim to get an extra mile with it. He flew from the same spot, in the same direction and at the same altitude. He also stated, as you did, that he could fly lower than usual. I did not read any range improvement in your post. Do you know if you got any range increases? I ask because this is one of their claims.

I watched a video of someone using the Duo 3 claim to get an extra mile with it. He flew from the same spot, in the same direction and at the same altitude. He also stated, as you did, that he could fly lower than usual. I did not read any range improvement in your post. Do you know if you got any range increases? I ask because this is one of their claims.
There is definitely a range increase. But you will run out of battery first anyway. The key thing about the range increase, is you can fly as far as your battery will let you, but at a lower altitude.

I live in a rural area surrounded by hundreds of wooded aches. I bought a M30T thinking I would be able to fly around and spot animals anywhere they are but unfortunately I can't seem to get more then a mile and a half away from my home before I lose video. This seems to be a short distance to me based on the M30T claims. Do you think the Duo 3 would help me increase my range.

I live in a rural area surrounded by hundreds of wooded aches. I bought a M30T thinking I would be able to fly around and spot animals anywhere they are but unfortunately I can't seem to get more then a mile and a half away from my home before I lose video. This seems to be a short distance to me based on the M30T claims. Do you think the Duo 3 would help me increase my range.
I like to call the DUO 3 a ground clutter breaker. It cuts through ground clutter, allowing the operator to fly further at lower altitudes. It's worth the money if you really need to get lower and fly further at those lower altitudes. In your case, it will increase you range at the altitude you lose video signal by approximately 3/4 of a mile give or take 1/4 of a mile. The duo 3 is directional so you have to be pointing it in the direction of your drone.

For example, before the duo 3, I would fly 2 miles, but had to be at 400 feet to get there. But now, with the duo 3, I can fly at 2 miles and fly at 260 feet above the same point and still get video. The duo 3 stops ground clutter from blocking my video signal by about140ft at 2 miles. At my max distance (when drone needs to RTH due to battery) I am able to fly 250 feet lower than without the duo 3.

Another example, the drone can fly at 60 ft at 1 mile, where before the duo 3, it had to fly at 150 feet.

Just a side note. I also like the duo 3 because when you lose video, you don't lose you connection to the drone at the same time. You can still control the drone. When I lose video, I increase my altitude until the video comes back.

When all said and done, Is it worth 800 dollars for a duo3? I guess it just depends on a person's finances and how important it is to squeeze out that extra range at lower altitudes. If anyone considers purchasing, just remember alientech has a 1 week return policy and won't allow a return if the original packaging has been opened.

P.S. To save money it might work just as well if one were to buy the original active transmission Alientech DUO.

I've also been using a 30 foot pole to fly even lower. You have to buy alientech's cables for that and attach the antenna to the top of the pole, runing the cables between the top of the pole and your RC. I've been able to fly at ground level at one mile with scattered trees in the way. I could not land, however.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Distantdoc