DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Map issues!?!

Bengroll78

Reactions
What is going on with Offline Maps? I just can't seem to get a straight answer anywhere.
I am flying both a Mavic 3 pro with RC Pro remote, and a Mini 4 pro with RC2.
Both have SD cards more than capable of holding plenty of data.
When I go to download an offline map, sure I can "select" an area to download (image one below) BUT when I select it from the downloaded section, the I only am able to see a snippet of what I've actually downloaded (image 2).
PXL_20240317_030256051.jpg
PXL_20240317_030304380.jpg
I'm also stumped by the need for an SD card: both my controllers save the maps to the RC and NOT the SD card (despite me selecting storage to BE the SD card).
Finally: is there really a need to download offline maps, when anywhere you view before downloading is "cached" for a short period? When I connect to my drone and look at maps, I am guessing that what I am viewing is the actual cached data and not the downloaded data? I understand the cached data will be replaced/deleted after a period of time, but it appears to be in more detail than the downloaded file.
So confused!!
Anyone else having these issues/questions?

I have also noticed this issue.
But it might be a visual bug and the section you select to download for offline viewing, I think the entire selection is downloaded. I downloaded a swath of land using about 15 selections because you can only select a certain size in the map (another huge issue) and it appeared that all of the area was showing in detail when I went out there the next day and I had absolutely no service so I couldn’t even use my phone’s hotspot to have the RC2 get online but the downloaded offline sections were showing on my map. If it is a bug, they just need to fix it so when we click on the downloaded section to view what we downloaded, we see the whole section and not just a small part in the center.

But yes, the feature itself is filled with issues; in addition to only being able to download a tiny section of the map each time, you also cannot download more than about 2 dozen sections. If you try, it gives an error and asks you to delete some of the older offline map sections in order to be able to download more sections.
This is absurd, considering each tiny section of downloaded map is like half a megabyte and the internal storage has gigabytes of space, not to mention if an SD card is inserted into the RC2.

You should be allowed to choose any size map to download, and you should be able to download as many offline map sections as you want, as long as you have storage space.

It's a well documented and complained about issue...

Reactions: ValleyForge
Do you really need a map to fly?
I've managed for years without ever using one.

If you're traveling or in an unfamiliar area; coastline that all looks the same; somewhere remote where you have no data coverage on your devices...
In 9 years of drone flying in plenty of remote and unfamiliar places, I've managed without needing mapping.
This gives all the information you should need.
i-SxWV59Q-S.jpg

Reactions: mobilehomer
In 9 years of drone flying in plenty of remote and unfamiliar places, I've managed without needing mapping.
This gives all the information you should need.
i-SxWV59Q-S.jpg
I must agree with Meta. All you really need is Home Point, heading and altitude.

I am sure many, many pilots on this forum would absolutely survive without the map.

But, it sure is nice to have.
Instant constant Bird’s Eye view of the drone’s current location. Which can be useful for a variety cases.

Reactions: ValleyForge
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne