DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I Think My Drone Is Drunk!!

Lon Denard

Reactions
It would not fly straight to save my life!!! BTW no color correction, filmed in D-Cinelike with a DJI ND-32 filter installed.

You need to post your flight logs.
For me, a simple case of pilot error... or maybe the pilot was drunk..... hmmm.

You need to post your flight logs.
For me, a simple case of pilot error... or maybe the pilot was drunk..... hmmm.

No I am forbidden alcohol or drugs. I'm guessing interference, there is a large power station close by. It flew fine today.

Sorry Lon, I watched like a minute, then clicked forward, I didnt see any errors and thought you were being a smart cookie!!! So I was being one back!

I watched the video. Can you explain what you mean by "not flying straight?" Are you using coordinated stick movements? If so, have you calibrated your controller recently?

Sorry Lon, I watched like a minute, then clicked forward, I didnt see any errors and thought you were being a smart cookie!!! So I was being one back!

That's cool. I edited a lot out but it seemed to do more sideways drifting than usual.

I watched the video. Can you explain what you mean by "not flying straight?" Are you using coordinated stick movements? If so, have you calibrated your controller recently?

No and I was thinking a full set of calibrations are in order. I'll probably take care of that tomorrow. I flew yesterday without problems so I'm wondering if a metal bridge, over a railway, next to a power station might have something to do with it. I tried to fly through the bridge and my drone wasn't having it! As soon as I entered the opening it started drifting wildly.

Another thing I just thought about is that over time, with a multi rotor aircraft, one motor will stand out as the strongest and another will be the weakest, with the 2 remaining motors somewhere in the middle. Most RPM and voltage draw variations will be controlled by the speed control, but a good way to balance out the equation and counteract any "crabbing" effect is to occasionally do full calibrations, as you mentioned.

Reactions: NinjaNut
That's a lot of iron. My first guess would be that the bridge's magnetic field was interfering with the magnetometer data just enough to cause the IMU yaw to be affected. It would be interesting to compare the yaw/magYaw data for that flight.

That's my thought as well. I flew the next day and everything seems okay. Of course I'll keep a close eye on it. Obviously, I'm still under warranty and I have care refresh as well. Most of my flights are over water so I have to be conscious of the drone's operation at all times.

Another thing I just thought about is that over time, with a multi rotor aircraft, one motor will stand out as the strongest and another will be the weakest, with the 2 remaining motors somewhere in the middle. Most RPM and voltage draw variations will be controlled by the speed control, but a good way to balance out the equation and counteract any "crabbing" effect is to occasionally do full calibrations, as you mentioned.

I've done a complete recalibration of all systems. They were all in the green but now they are even less "green" and evenly matched. I also did a compass calibration that seemed to work but I was in house and wearing my combat tour bracelets (stainless steel) so I'll redo it in the field. I just want to thank you for taking the time to give me advice, I really appreciate it.

I've done a complete recalibration of all systems. They were all in the green but now they are even less "green" and evenly matched. I also did a compass calibration that seemed to work but I was in house and wearing my combat tour bracelets (stainless steel) so I'll redo it in the field. I just want to thank you for taking the time to give me advice, I really appreciate it.

Dont forget to take off the dog tags too ;)

We appreciate your service.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poppy52