DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I was arrested for flying a drone *updated with video*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next time use a drone vest to identify you. Police will get intimidated when they see it. It works very well and people respect when you are flying
4a2f1349df5c22ff79e11d1cf5b09214.jpg
Brilliant!!

Reactions: crlmjohnson
Those who are NOT FAA Part 107 licensed commercial drone pilots, should probably leave off the "COMMERCIAL" part on the vest. You wouldn't want them to bust you for impersonating a "FAA Licensed Commercial Drone Pilot"!
I have the vest and it says: faa registered drone pilot - please do not disturb.

Vest or not, the police aren't going to care if they're trying to enforce a local ordinance, even if the ordinance is in violation of state law. In fact they'll probably just laugh at you. Just like you can't get out of a speeding ticket by wearing a racing helmet.

True.

Brilliant!!

I wear both a vest and hard hat when flying (per FAA recommendation that you clearly identify UAV operations and yourself as the pilot.) Nobody has ever bothered me; they usually give me a wide birth. Even though I'm sometimes flying in a park, I'm doing an authorized shoot per the County Commissioner and County Lawyer. LOL - one time when I walked in with the drone, vest and hard hat, the Park Manager said he thought I was going to close the park for safety. :)

The vest and hard hat do wonders. If I have a visual observer, I give him/her a vest, hard hat (and 2-way radio as well if we are geographically separate.)

Last edited:
Is that a crime???
I would think not, as long as you are not actually doing commercial work, wearing a west and not having the required license.

I think I will print on a vest :
FAA registered drone pilot,
I am NOT here to take pictures of YOU.
just kidding.

Those MF'ers! Totally uncalled for! The police acted as if you provoked them which in and of itself is not against the law. What is against the law is if they are actively investigating a crime and you impede them in some way. You did not as there was no crime committed and you asked a standard question (snarky or not) they are public servants. Who was served in this instance?

The fact that the prosecutor did not pursue the charges clearly means that you personally broke no laws! Go before a judge and say your sorry? Sorry for what ? Enjoying yourself without doing harm.

These encounters can get out of hand if you had been a hot-heat and resisted them in any way. They were just waiting for that so they could pin "resisting arrest" on you.

This is such an over reach of authority! I would ask for a formal apology from the officers involved and push for proper training of thier rent-a-cops uh ,ehem , cough I mean police personnel with regards to currently enacted UAV laws and regulations.

I would be flying in that park regularly after this incident. This type of handling can really leave someone with a bit of drone flying PTSD.
Hey brother I feel for you.I think its all bs myself what they did.For us uav its like driving while blk. Lol.im in South Bend next door at nd.ill come fly with you anytime. I just don't get law enforcement not willing to understand our position on flying to do no harm.but for good and a new perspective, we spent all this money on equipment to enjoy our hobby follow the rules and still get grief for it,drones are here to stay and they faa need to resolve this air space bs so we can fly without the fear of getting arrested and our equipment seized and not returned thats just not right .we should all go there fly in protest this treatment..in.

Reactions: TJXdroneography
Vest or not, the police aren't going to care if they're trying to enforce a local ordinance, even if the ordinance is in violation of state law. In fact they'll probably just laugh at you. Just like you can't get out of a speeding ticket by wearing a racing helmet.
I have one also. It's not law enforcement, but more for people who want to approach and start conversing.

O.P.
You should also contact your state's Attorney General's office and have them correct the local ordinance if it is conflict with state law.

Last edited:
Hey man...so sorry to hear that...sadly it is common...I am not anti cop but often there are Yahoo type police that like having people to * with...did you ever have a Bully in school ? Same type...he just HAS to talk down to a person..show you who the BOSS is...it is typical...they don't have anything going on and they just have to put on the I'M a Cop and your *** is mine BS...sad,**** up and sorry that it happened to you

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BaRoN30s
I can finally talk about this now that the legal matter is settled.

A few weeks ago, I was flying my mavic. An officer approached and told me drones are not allowed in the park. I was polite and told him that I’m pretty smart when it comes to drone law and I did not know it was illegal to fly here. I asked if he could show me where this rule was written. I’ll call him “good cop”

I already knew that a: there is no such rule, and b: even if there was, Michigan has a strong preemption law that prevents local units of government from enacting or enforcing any rule regarding the possession or operation of unmanned aircraft.

This officer called for backup. A second officer arrived. I’ll call him “bad cop.” He was pretty hostile and came towards me with a little
Booklet and said basically “it says right here, ascending or descending....” pointing at rule 23, which prohibits manned aircraft, manned hot air balloons, or manned parachutes from ascending or descending in the park.

I said “can I ask you a question?”

He said yes

“Am I in an airplane?”

That was it. He had me turn around and put my hands behind my back.

He searched me, and laughed when I told him I do not consent.

Then stuffed me in the back of a police car. They pulled me out after a few minutes and searched me again. I was able to hand them a copy of the state preemption law, which I was able to reach because it was in my back pocket. Then they stuffed me back in the patrol car.

My mavic and iPad were confiscated, and just to let me know who’s in charge, he took my personal cell phone too.

After about 30-40 minutes I was released with a misdemeanor citation for “unauthorized flying of drone in park” citing rule 23.

They kept all of my stuff. I was able to get my cell phone returned after a couple of days. I still haven’t gotten my mavic or iPad back.

All of the audio was recorded on my Apple Watch. I will post it here shortly.

I’m a 40 year old professional. I’ve never been in handcuffs before this.

View attachment 57583

View attachment 57584

Hi......
Sorry for the incident you went through.......I am a retired LEO [ law enforcement officer ] with 31 years of service and a drone pilot and I have to tell you that NOT all PO act the way that the second one did.....maybe he had a bad day....had an argument with his wife...who knows BUT no matter what I think that the arrest of you is total BS.....
What is a PARK RANGER COP anyway.......I don't think the guys that work at the
parks in Florida have arrest powers......This probably won't make you feel any better but take this from a REAL LEO.....I would never have treated you like that much less arrested you. Good luck in court...

Lol.... please tell your children they won't be arrested for being bad! Really!!

You weren't kidding on the rule change. Literally 5 days after your incident. Screenshot_20190103-174909_Chrome.jpeg

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
Great idea to password protect all devices and have ability to remotely back up and erase data in case of theft. Have to be careful though about wiping the device while its in police custody because that can lead to destruction of evidence charge which can be felony. The data on the phone belongs to you BUT if police seize it as possible evidence, consult with attorney before wiping remotely.

Lapeer, do you know if police searched or copied your SD card or phone?

Thanks for the information! The police have no legal right to seize any of our data under the guise that we are flying our drones in a location that they claim is illegal. Better to wipe the data and take it all the way to court. Just because I can wipe the data that does not mean that I would be the one to wipe it. Essentially - Prove that MY finger pressed a button that initiated a wipe of data on a remote device. Yeah right! The police in my town have IT skills that are about equal to that of a novice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rebelsun