DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I Wonder!!!

kidroc

Reactions
I was just watching a few you-tube video's and was thinking about all the atti mode "FLYAWAY'S"... I noticed a lot of people were initializing their Mavic on really unlevel ground... So is it a case of people getting into situations were they lose GPS and the Mavic switches into atti and since it was Armed so unlevel...It pitches hard the way it thinks level is... The more unlevel you initialized it the less time an inexperienced person would definitely lose control of it..I wonder how many Mavic are lost to not knowing How these Models react when it doesn't Fly itself...

I was just watching a few you-tube video's and was thinking about all the atti mode "FLYAWAY'S"... I noticed a lot of people were initializing their Mavic on really unlevel ground... So is it a case of people getting into situations were they lose GPS and the Mavic switches into atti and since it was Armed so unlevel...It pitches hard the way it thinks level is... The more unlevel you initialized it the less time an inexperienced person would definitely lose control of it..I wonder how many Mavic are lost to not knowing How these Models react when it doesn't Fly itself...
Probably the exact reason DJI doesn't offer an ATTI only flying mode as an option.

Reactions: kidroc
That’s not how it works though.

The Mavic knows whether or not it’s level, based on the original IMU calibration, not the startup initialization. You can take off on some pretty unlevel ground and it will immediately level and hold perfect position, even if in ATTI.

Flyaways in ATTI are usually a result of wind drift, and overreacting by those not having experience flying in that mode.

That said, it is important to not move the unit during initialization so that the accelerometers can set properly.

Last edited:
Completely agree with you Robert. I took off yesterday on quite a slope and it was rock solid. Personally I really miss ATTI mode since I used it to measure wind speed at different altitudes. If you're in ATTI mode and it's windy and you don't know what you're doing ... it won't be good.

Amazed at the resilience in-flight of my bird. I shredded some Doug fir needles the other day and today dropped it onto an alder overhanging the creek. In both instances I was able to extricate and it stayed in the air. Either I'm really lucky or I'm really lucky.
I need to practice out in the open before going for the Natl.Geo photos.
Having a blast with this thing, it can be a bit overwhelming what with all the capabilities but so far so good.

Reactions: charliesRig
Yes i too had to take of on the only piece of relatively flat ground, but it was still so angled and uneven that one of the props was only just clear of striking the ground, so close in fact that if i wasn't so determined to fly in that area i wouldn't normally of chanced it.

Anyway the mavic flew perfectly with no issues, although i only flew one battery, as i didn't want to risk that sort of extreme angled take off again :)

I'll tell you what "I wonder" : If we are getting good GPS signal before flying (at least 10 satellites, preferably more... Several more.) then how in the crap are they losing GPS signal to drop into atti mode?

I'll tell you what "I wonder" : If we are getting good GPS signal before flying (at least 10 satellites, preferably more... Several more.) then how in the crap are they losing GPS signal to drop into atti mode?
I have read several posters here comment that they will go up about 50 feet to get the GPS signal, I used that trick with drone I built, but the NAZA flight control was not as sophisticated as the Mavic, so most of the flying was "manual" anyway. Based on how the Mavic works I do not do that. It sits on the ground blinking until I get double digit sats.

That’s not how it works though.

The Mavic knows whether or not it’s level, based on the original IMU calibration, not the startup initialization. You can take off on some pretty unlevel ground and it will immediately level and hold perfect position, even if in ATTI.

Flyaways in ATTI are usually a result of wind drift, and overreacting by those not having experience flying in that mode.

That said, it is important to not move the unit during initialization so that the accelerometers can set properly.

...............And would just like to add make sure battery is seated in mavic before flight..
Also proper warm up before Flight
...................cR

I think some of it is confusion between GPS loss and compass errors.

Compass error switches to ATTI mode by setting satellites to zero.

Reactions: Robert Mitchell
I think some of it is confusion between GPS loss and compass errors.

Compass error switches to ATTI mode by setting satellites to zero.
From what I understand, that is possible. Someone with more knowledge than me, is welcome to chime in with more details.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colinhayesroberts