DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ICOM radio transceiver/receiver handheld to buy.

Azarov

Reactions
I recently received Australian AROC certificate.
Started looking for an ICOM or similar models of transceiver/receiver to start practicing when flying my drone near an airport.
Certainly with a permit from CASA.
I wonder if someone can recommend a model (not sure if I need 118 MHz - 136 MHz band range) and a seller to buy from?

Maybe a Live ATC apps on iPhone would be a good choice to start with?

The RRP for the IC-A16E is AUS$440.00, however is not available until next year (2022).
The RRP is $715 for IC-A25NE.
I purchased LiveATC on iPhone for $6. It works very good together with flightradar24.com.
I'm not far from airport now, so another bonus is a visual observation of a plane departure or landing.

Would a handheld scanner that covers aviation band be suitable?
I use an Icom IC-R2, which is a tiny handheld scanner that covers the AM VHF airband. It's practically antique now, but it serves the purpose very well. I also have a few handheld VHF/UHF Ham radios (I'm a licensed ham) that can receive the AM airband; they also work reasonably well, but their AGC (automatic gain control) isn't quite as nice, causing nearby transmiters to sound really loud, while faraway transmitters are very quiet.

Of course, a receiver doesn't give you the ability to transmit. But the FCC doesn't allow you to transmit unless you either are onboard an aircraft or you have a ground station license. Either way, you need to identify using your FCC identifier or your airplane's N number. Since I wouldn't be legally authorized to transmit, I don't mind using a receiver to keep an ear open for traffic.

One more point: not all airplanes will transmit their positions over the radio. It's not required in uncontrolled airspace. So while monitoring the local CTAF/Unicom may be helpful, don't use it as a substitute for keeping watchful eyes and ears hunting for all nearby traffic.

Reactions: Azarov
Realising you are in Australia, if you are flying within 5km of an airport, you will require an RePL and a special authorisation from CASA (as I understand not applicable to ones in the exempt category). As I also understand, part of the authorisation comes with having the ability to communicate with the ATC especially in the event of a fly away. At my work place if they are operating in the close proximity to a regional airport they do call in the ATC and advise them of their intention at commencement and at termination of operations. I must point out that I have not had first hand experience in obtaining this permit or needing to operate in the proximity of an airport and relying on advise from my colleagues who have had to undertake such operations. Also explains why many of the RePL courses throw in a handheld VHF transceiver with their courses!

Reactions: Azarov
I use

But this would suffice
And is on sale at the moment

If you have your AROC, you dont need another permit
If you are planning on flying in controlled airspace, with approvals, apps on your iphone are NOT sufficient

I feel sometimes I have bought nearly every model Icom makes for aircraft. My last one died in South Africa when plugged into the wrong charger. Subsequently, I bought the new Yaseu. Mainly because it has a GPS in it. Now I can brag I have 5 GPS devices in the aircraft. For your use, virtually any model that does not have any navigation would suffice. I would advise to find a used one. Look about on aviation enthusiast boards. Some potential new pilot runs out of money and sells all the must have stuff when the well runs dry, or perhaps does not have the aptitude needed.

Wish I had a handheld in the military. The radios there were, not so good. In fact they could have been used to secure boats in a bay, certainly were big enough. The size was surprising, considering they had the latest in itty bitty tubes in them. Those training planes we flew where so old, my dad was an instructor in them when they where new.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman