DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ideas on how to attach/release payload on MP

erkme73

Reactions
I had to run a small 5V power supply over to a neighbor one street over this evening. He's a gadget geek like me. He said, "Attach it to your drone and fly it over". Initially I dismissed the idea outright - but that planted a seed that has been germinating ever since.

I know that with the downward VPS sensors hanging anything under the belly probably would cause problems. Maybe some attachment to the rear clips that extends rearward? Even then, what kind of a release mechanism would be needed so that the payload could be dropped without having to land?

Not saying I WILL do this, but just wondering if I'm the only one who's given it some thought. If I was 50' over this neighbors back yard, I would still be VLOS from my front yard. My concern with landing is that a) I'd no longer have VLOS, and b) getting below the roof line may cause a signal loss.

Maybe a hook that is bent a certain way that would require a very specific roll, pitch and yaw to get a lanyard to release?

Eh, probably a stupid idea.

I mentioned that idea in the Mavic 2.0 thread.
A 4 pin socket near the rear landing legs that has 5Vdc and uses the other 2 pins for a Normally Open (NO) relay. Then have a menu option that allows you to toggle the 2 pins from N0 to Closed. That would be so handy for so many neat projects and third party accessories. The problem is that it also could be used for so many bad things, so I doubt DJI would ever add it.

It's def doable. I'm sure if you wanna hack it open, you could wire up a relay to to the front LED so you can have thst as the trigger. After that just turn off the downwards vis sensor and you're good to go :D

I doubt DJI would do anything for stuff like this as that's not what DJI sell them self as. If you want to be carrying things, just build your own. Would be a lot cheaper and easier lol.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

I used my Mavic to help drag a cctv cable over a gymnasium roof. Obviously a strong light string was lifted over and the cable dragged over afterwards.

I put a thick elastic band through those loops on the rear legs, then tied a slipknot around the tags. Plenty strong enough to hold 100m of the string, a tug on the string to release.

The guys were impressed at what a total non-event it was. One of them has subsequently decided to buy a Mavic :)

The FAA will not tolerate any objects being dropped in any manner from aircraft.

Last edited:
Notice how the device blocks sensors under Mavic. Not good.

Just disable the sensors . If you're a good enough pilot to be dropping stuff from a drone then you don't need them anyway .

Reactions: Kilrah
Just disable the sensors . If you're a good enough pilot to be dropping stuff from a drone then you don't need them anyway .

That wasn't the point.

Develop a product that will coexist with Mavic Pro, not one that hi-jacks the Mavics other features.

The FAA will not tolerate any objects being dropped in any manner from aircraft.
Fixed wing RC guys have been doing it for decades and the FAA hasn't been involved. I've seen a plane carrying a shuttle being released, I've seen simulated bomb runs (styrofoam bombs), etc... Have you ever been to an RC Air show?

Fixed wing RC guys have been doing it for decades and the FAA hasn't been involved. I've seen a plane carrying a shuttle being released, I've seen simulated bomb runs (styrofoam bombs), etc... Have you ever been to an RC Air show?

A few years ago I was going through the processes of developing a product similar to the one in the link. It was an actual flying game that drone pilots around the world could compete against one another. The main part of the game consisted of air dropping a chalk bag into a circle on the ground from a set altitude.

When something like this begins to become popular then all eyes are upon what you have going on. And so goes any marketing you need to do if want to make money for your product.

Btw, there is currently products not for the public developed by Dji for the Inspire that are for transporting and dropping for the police, fire and rescue industry. Doing such things as dropping a life preserver to some in a flooded environment. And of course it uses Dji's GO4 app same as their FLIR setup.

Sec. 91.15 — Dropping objects.
No pilot in command of a civil aircraft may allow any object to be dropped from that aircraft in flight that creates a hazard to persons or property. However, this section does not prohibit the dropping of any object if reasonable precautions are taken to avoid injury or damage to persons or property.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan