DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Identify your drone or not?

Hi, I am fairly new to the drone world having purchased my first drone - a Mavic 3 Classic this past July and since then a Mavic 3 Pro. I simply put a sticker on each one with my cell phone # and hope that one would reach out should the drone crash or get lost. SMK
An M3 Classic as a FIRST drone ??
Just my own opinion, but that’s like getting your drivers permit then getting behind the wheel of a Formula One race car.
Ha, my first drone cost $150 !

An M3 Classic as a FIRST drone ??
Just my own opinion, but that’s like getting your drivers permit then getting behind the wheel of a Formula One race car.
Ha, my first drone cost $150 !
I believe it's the primary reason why DJI is so successful as a company, they are able to sell their better drones to first time buyers. Let's face it, if you buy a $150 as your first drone in 2024, it is almost for sure you won't be buying another drone much less a $900 drone. The key to DJI success is selling their $1000 to those who go out and buy a drone for the first time, have almost zero issues learning to fly it because of DJIs brilliant strategy like DJI Care Refresh and superb safety electronics such as Obstacle Avoidance and RTH and the way it hovers when you let go of the sticks. That way when someone buys one drone and that's the only drone they ever buy, make it a DJI drone. Please aren't afraid to go out and spend the money on good stuff.

Reactions: Cafguy
@msinger
Thanks. I guess I was wondering about the advisability because maybe I've seen one too many youtubes about antidrone people giving pilots a hard time, threatening to call the police, etc.
Your point is well taken though about getting it back. It would be nearly impossible without something identifying the drone's home.
So, with the above, do you have your name on your drone?
Marking your drone with a phone number to call if found will increase the odds of getting it returned. personally, I don’t see a necessity of putting a name on the drone. If you’re operating within the regulatory boundaries of your location, you’ve got nothing to be concerned with.

My beloved Mavic 2 Pro was returned to me 3 weeks AFTER it had gently settled on top of a huge oak tree spreading over my home point launch site. Distraught over the loss, I quickly replaced it with a Mavic 3. My wife never realized I was “droneless” - until my MP 2 was returned after being found by a jogger. A wind storm had knocked it out of the tree and my labels with name and phone allowed an honest citizen to bring it home. How I explained this “miracle” to my wife is another story entirely.
Yes, label your drone.

Should I label the drone with my name ± phone number and address?
I would at least put a phone number on it.

Not so sure about address, as if a crazy person found it they might decide you are part of (insert crazy conspiracy) and come after you. At least, that's what the police here advised: contact number only, no address.

Don't know what your laws are like, but up here in the Great White North you need to register all drones 250 g or heavier, which includes a Mini with extended batteries or attachments like strobes. I registered mine (the $5 is nothing) and put the registration number on my drone so I can use extended batteries when I'm out in the countryside.

Reactions: Xitor
It seems like a good idea, but what is your thought about doing so? Is there a downside to that?
Thanks

Only thing I can think of is you become the subject of a Lifetime Movie Network feature about your murder by an obsessed Karen, but the chances of that are less than you getting cited for a BVLOS violation by an FAA employee standing, unbeknownst to you, a few feet away. Essentially zero.

So no worries. 😁😁😁

• Haha
Reactions: Torque
Downsides? I cannot think of any. That information is not secret and is likely easily discoverable on at least several public websites.

Super easy with RID compliant drones 😉

An FAA (or Transport Canada) registration number isn't going to guarantee the return of a lost drone since the general public isn't likely to know what to do with that number. Given a licence plate number on a car, at least people would know enough to ask the police for help with that.

Who in the general public is going to know how to contact the FAA, and would the FAA subsequently even offer any help? Maybe if that drone just hit a Black Hawk helicopter patrolling New York Harbour, sure. But if some Joe calls the FAA to announce they just discovered a lost drone in their backyard, not a chance.

I have my cellphone number labelled on my drones, just in case. If some good Samaritan is looking to return my lost drone, great! Or, if my drone flew away and ended up crashing through somebody's living room window, fine, let's talk on the phone to arrange compensation.

But I wouldn't be comfortable putting my full name and address, and then potentially have some angry person with a shotgun show up at my door. How many people would ever be willing to print their full name, phone#, and address on the trunk lid of their car? "How's my driving?"

The label on my drones, along with registration numbers also have my phone number. If ever lost, maybe a good Samaritan will find it and call me to return it.

Reactions: Torque and Dbez1
We put Contact Info ON the drone and also as a TXT file on the SD Card.
I always format my SD cards, both on drones and cameras. I have heard that often times, Window/Apple modifies the FAT which sometimes leads to corruption later when back in the devices. This is a habit I picked up years ago and always do.

I do have my phone numbers on my drone. I have PI free labels on them which include my phone number.

Reactions: Dbez1
@msinger
Thanks. I guess I was wondering about the advisability because maybe I've seen one too many youtubes about antidrone people giving pilots a hard time, threatening to call the police, etc.
Your point is well taken though about getting it back. It would be nearly impossible without something identifying the drone's home.
So, with the above, do you have your name on your drone?

Yes.

In quite a few years, I've never seen a report here of Karen-like harassment by a person that found a lost drone with owner info. Only happy stories of Good Samaritans returning lost drones.

Reactions: MS Coast and Dbez1
I believe it's the primary reason why DJI is so successful as a company, they are able to sell their better drones to first time buyers.

Not at all.

DJI is very successful because they make exceptional products. No sneaky nefarious hidden goals and hypnotic ad campaign need be invoked to explain their dominance.

And to be clear, I don't like it. I wish it was a western company in the lead evolving this technology. I'd feel better about the future world. Reality is what it is, however, and DJI products are amazing.

That's why I keep buying them.

Not at all.

DJI is very successful because they make exceptional products. No sneaky nefarious hidden goals and hypnotic ad campaign need be invoked to explain their dominance.

And to be clear, I don't like it. I wish it was a western company in the lead evolving this technology. I'd feel better about the future world. Reality is what it is, however, and DJI products are amazing.

That's why I keep buying them.
I believe recreational first time buyers are the primary reason why DJI is so successful. Yes you need exceptional products and great marketing to continue your dominance but without "us" the company would be nothing. DJI got this way to be able to make a good quality affordable drone that everyone wants with the best features and then to have top notch marketing and distribution strategy because of the recreational drone flyer. That was my point. Apple quickly figured out they had to put an iPhone in *everyones* hand. I compare this to a Phantom for everyone. Ferrari has the best cars but they aren't the top car maker.

But I hear you, I agree with the exceptional product comment because even though it's not a guarantee that you'll win with a great product, you'll lose for sure if you have a crappy product. However, it doesn't take long before the marketing people quickly start to feel like they're the ones who made the company successful; heard that before. Some will say DJI is not operating in the free market and they're getting substantial help from the CCP. I don't necessarily agree with that. The drone market is not entirely a level playing field. There's a reason why US companies won't play.

Reactions: Cafguy
@mavic3usa, have you ever worked in a marketing dept? If not, have you been closely involved with the tasks and personnel in marketing as part of a product team, say, an engineering project manager, leading up to a product launch?

You have some very strong, and IMO rather denigrating and dismissive views regarding this part of a large business, and I'm curious as to the knowlege and experience you have that informs those views.

Do you put your name/address on your mobile phone?
I set the lock screen message on my smart phone to:

"If found, please contact <email-address>"

Not much point putting a phone number to call if my phone is lost... :rolleyes:

IMHO an e-mail address provides someone with a way to contact you without giving out much in the way of identifying information. I don't see a reason why this wouldn't work just as well for a drone.

You could also increase your chance of getting your lost drone back, by stating 'reward if found' along with your phone number. Providing you would want to shell out for a particular drone...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne