DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

If I fly ONLY Litchi app, does DJI get any of my flight information?

adiru

Reactions
Anyone can verify? I've been able to download waypoint missions from the app, then put my phone/tablet in offline mode, does Litchi send logs to DJI or otherwise upload logs whenever it gets an internet connection back?

Litchi doesn't send anything to DJI on purpose - but the DJI SDK it has to use to talk to the aircraft may or may not do so regardless.

My tablet is never online at the time I am running DJI or Litchi. I pre-fetch the Google Maps data and then shut down wifi. I am still using old firmware and going to keep it that way.

My tablet is never online at the time I am running DJI or Litchi. I pre-fetch the Google Maps data and then shut down wifi. I am still using old firmware and going to keep it that way.

What if the app uploads data once you connect back to wifi?

For example, I had an old version of DJI app that in Feb 17th required updating to new version. I would install the old version, and if in airplane mode I could fly with it. Then I would FORCE kill the app in Android, and then when I connect to watch a netflix, then put tablet back in offline mode, but when I start the old DJI app again it won't start and complains it needs to be upgraded/updated.

So DJI has installed a backdoor on the device to have persistent internet conneciton, that the moment it goes online, it will check, even if app is not running at the time.

Reactions: normr
What if the app uploads data once you connect back to wifi?

The DJI app can run some invisible background tasks before you launch it, or after you quit it, so you are right that it could be waiting for that delicious wifi to pounce and ruin the product I purchased.

I can't say this works for everyone, but I've devoted a tablet for DJI use only. It's rooted so I'm in control, and I can deny the DJI and Litchi apps any access to the network at all.

Now, if they put in a sleeper "freshness/expiration date" in the existing .400 firmware or the DJI libraries that Litchi uses, then it would be more difficult to circumvent (GPS signal gives accurate time), and I'd pretty much write off any future DJI purchases. So far, I have not seen any evidence they have gone this far.

Now, if they put in a sleeper "freshness/expiration date" in the existing .400 firmware or the DJI libraries that Litchi uses, then it would be more difficult to circumvent (GPS signal gives accurate time), and I'd pretty much write off any future DJI purchases. So far, I have not seen any evidence they have gone this far.

I concur, this would be a huge turnoff for a lot of people. Maybe why DJI has shifted priority into targeting the casual kite flying public now with Spark and etc

I have a dedicated Samsung Note 3 that doesn't have cell service but I connect to WiFi to send my stuff to my cloud. I don't know if the Go app plays sneaky in the background or not.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S