DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Im a DJI Mavic Pro 2 drone owner looking for places to fly

Hi from Basingstoke in Hampshire, and welcome to the forum! It is a great place for advice and tips

I totally agree with Flying Shroppie; and these are my thoughts:

1: Get up early to fly! Not only is the light better (golden hour and all that) but you are less likely to encounter people!

2: Fly high where you can. At 400ft (but still within VLOS: Visible line of site) a drone is less conspicuous and less noisy, so less likely to draw attention.

3: Join FPV UK: you can join with any drone, not just FPV. Not only does this give you public liability insurance, but they also have secured a CAA dispensation meaning you can fly from "recreational land" (otherwise prohibited in the Drone Code).

4: The National Trust owns a lot of open space areas, with no buildings and often in the middle of nowhere. Whilst I am not advocating any breach of NT restrictions, where such open space is involved, it is a question of "risk management" as to whether anyone is likely to get worked up about flying a drone from such land and whether any drone would cause any harm. I want to get some M2P photos of Stonehenge, for example, and it is surrounded by NT land......

5: Consider getting a Mavic Mini 2 as a second drone. As a sub-250g drone, there are far less restrictions on you. During lockdown, I got one to fly from my back-garden as the Drone Code gives a lot of leeway for such a drone:

"The rule on minimum distances to people is different when flying small drones and model aircraft that are below 250g, or in C0 or C1 class.

If you’re flying a drone or model aircraft that’s lighter than 250g or is C0 class, you can fly closer to people than 50m and you can fly over them.

When you’re thinking about how close you can fly, remember, you must never put people in danger. Even small drones and model aircraft could injure people if you don’t fly them safely."

"You can fly small drones and model aircraft that are lighter than 250g, or C0 or C1 class, in residential, recreational, commercial and industrial areas.

Remember, you must always fly safely."

I hope all that helps a bit and happy to help with any other queries you might have

I'm a Mavic Pro 2 flyer looking for legitimate places that I can fly and practise flying anywhere near Harold Wood, Essex. The last 3 times I got my drone up I was approached and told to stop flying, even when I was away from buildings, people etc....Im finding it harder and harder to fly my drone. Regards Ian
Welcome to MavicPilots from Dayton Ohio USA! Fly safe and have fun!

I'm a Mavic Pro 2 flyer looking for legitimate places that I can fly and practise flying anywhere near Harold Wood, Essex. The last 3 times I got my drone up I was approached and told to stop flying, even when I was away from buildings, people etc....Im finding it harder and harder to fly my drone. Regards Ian
Don't know what's around Essex but you might want to get a sectional chart and see if you are in a restricted area and require unlocking your drone

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kzenoxx